PDA

View Full Version : Buck Knives Warranty

Tarp Man
08-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Hey everybody, I am wondering if anybody has needed to make use of Buck's warranty or any other "lifetime" warranty. It seems I have found the slowest ass group of sheath repairmen at Buck, as I sent my knife case to them April 30 and they still have not returned it. I sent it through my local hunting shop and they are now trying to find out where it is. Any suggestions? Also, I am looking for a new skinning knife. Suggestions also appreciated. Gut hook or not?
-Tarp Man

K-1
08-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Have you looked at Grohman knives they are made in N.S. My son and I have used them for about 20 yr. You can also custom order from them .

Tarp Man
08-08-2005, 10:03 PM
I actually have two Grohman origional blade knives. They seem to hold and edge fairly well. I am just curious to know what other people with more experience than I have use. I have heard that spyderco is a good brand, as well as CRKT.
-Tarp Man

youngfellla
08-08-2005, 10:21 PM
I just bought a new knife made by Steve Ray (his knives are sold in local sports stores but can be custom ordered). They are expensive as hell, but in my mind one of the best knives on the market. You can cut a Buck knife blade in two with one of these things. If anyone wants info on these knives let me know.

Dano
08-08-2005, 10:32 PM
I sent a folding lock blade knife to buck knives direct in California a few years ago.
Told them I broke the blade trying to split a pelvic bone on a buck I shot and offered to buy a replacement blade. They said send it down which I did. It had no sheath and I asked if they could replace it and bill me.
They sent the knife back with a new blade and they polished my knife so well I had to examine it to make sure it wasn't new! They also included a new sheath,...free of charge! It only took 3 weeks or so.
You probably should have dealt with them direct, I was lucky in that a guy I work with sells the knives and told me to do it that way.
Dano

dizzydan
08-09-2005, 05:16 AM
I sent a buck pocket knife back a few years ago,I broke the blade my fault.They sent me a new one.DAN>>>:D

YukonJack
08-09-2005, 08:09 AM
Grohmann, baby.....I'll swear by those pigs any day. I use Survival Model and an Army model. I like the smaller CF one, it's a bit easier to do the fine stuff with.

I might replace the Survival one with the new Moose model, I like the style of it. Anyway, I've tried those "gut-hook" styles and they frustrate me to no end. Maybe I can't get the hang of using it, but neither could my Bud's...I think the key to using the gut-hook is to sharpen it once you buy it...and keep it that way.

Tarp Man
08-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Yukon, do you do anything special to preserve the wooden handles, other than wash it down after getting it all bloody? I have been leaning toward a synthetic or rubber handle to keep some grip factor when it is bloody and wet. However, I do love the look of a nice piece of wood on a handle.
-Tarp Man

YukonJack
08-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Nothing special really,...I'll hand-rub some gun oil on it, rub in some honing oil when finished sharpening...anything really when I think of it. It does not get all slippery as one would imagine. I wouldn't use Tung oil or linseed, they get a bit gummy. Hell, I'll even use bear fat when I'm done with the skinning. Rosewood is a pretty decent choice, not porous and tight-grained.

If they had Kraton or similar handles, I suppose I'd get that model, given a choice....

Tarp Man
08-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Well my local shop came through for me. Insead of pissing around anymore, the owner gave me a new sheath off the shelf and said he would take the warrantied one. It seems to have paid off not being an ass about it.
-Tarp Man

cmfic1
08-18-2005, 09:47 PM
Here would be my friendly suggestion....Dont buy a Buck knife! There are numerous other makes out there, that are far better quality, for the same price range.

Tarp Man
08-19-2005, 08:03 AM
cmfic1, any suggestions of other knives in this price range? And out of this price range?
-Tarp Man