PDA

View Full Version : Black Mouth Curs (Ladner or JD Howard)

Jenn
07-30-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi all,

Anyone know of anyone breeding good PURE BMC's closer than, uh, the southern U.S.??? I'd love someone local but honestly I'd consider anyone in western Canada and the northeastern U.S.

I'd like as close as I can get to original Ladner or JD Howard lines, and at this point I'd take either. Thanks!

Jenn

houndogger
08-01-2008, 09:55 PM
For pet or hunting?

Jenn
08-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the reply!

I'd never consider a "bred for pets" dog. That's actually a pet peeve of mine because there are SO MANY good pets at the shelter, there's no need to breed more pets. BMC's are working dogs plain and simple, and there's no one who has any business making BMC puppies for anything BUT working. A pet dog (less aptitude for hunting) ends up in a litter is one thing, but the LITTER should be bred for the betterment of the breed. JMO. :)

That being said, do I hunt? No. I'd be EXTREMELY interested in getting into tracking wounded game for hunters, but my primary reasons for wanting a BMC are for making my lone hikes in bear/cat country a bit safer. I looked at a lot of breeds and BMC's seemed like a nice balance between biddability, workability, and appearance (they're nice lookin' dogs I think). :)

(Sorry for the long answer! Basically WORKING breeder/litter, but I'd definitely consider a less apt/pet dog FROM that litter if need be.)

Moosenose
08-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Out of interest I just googled Black Mouth Cur.

Ol' Yeller himself is for sale out of St John for $200.

also several on baydog dot com, but looks like most are in the south

Info says they need a lot of excercise or can develop behavioral problems, but you probably knew that already.

Good luck

Jenn
08-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Ol' Yeller?! $200?! Slap a stamp on his butt and stick him in a mailbox, boooooooy howdy! :)

Yeah as far as the exercise goes, no worries there. I'm used to high drive dogs, and lead a very active lifestyle. Thanks for the heads-up!

chilcotin hillbilly
08-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Jenn if you are looking for a companion dog for blood trailing you don't need a bmc. I have 1 pup left out of my big gamehunting bred dogs. 1/2 black and tan 1/4 border collie 1/8 golden lab 1/8 germanshepard. This may be a good fit for what your looking for. Both parents are great bear /cat dogs and will track what ever you train them for. If you are interested I would consider selling her to you, although I would prefer her to be hunted. but i see in your other posts you seem to know the importance of keeping active and exercising the dog lots. Send me a pm if you would like a picture.

Wolfman
08-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Jenn;

For bear/cat protection have you considered the Karelian Bear dog?
They look really cool!

http://www.northernlightswildlife.com/karelian_bear_dogs.htm

Wolfman

Jenn
08-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Jenn;

For bear/cat protection have you considered the Karelian Bear dog?
They look really cool!

http://www.northernlightswildlife.com/karelian_bear_dogs.htm

Wolfman

Yeah, but I hear not only are they a PITA to live with, they are practically tunnel-visioned when near a bear. I'm great with an e-collar if need be, but my IDEAL dog will have a slightly less independent temperament. Also, not QUITE sure whether this would be the best breed to ultimately use in blood trailing.

I definitely agree they're mighty cool looking! It's definitely a challenge finding all the traits I like in one breed! Another breed I looked at was the Plott, but I think they might not have the protectiveness I was seeking. I think I need a Plott/BMC/Karelian cross. :)

K-1
08-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Get an Airedale, one from hunting stock not the show ring.!!

Barracuda
08-03-2008, 09:58 PM
I think K1 has a winner with his suggestion.
a good working stock Airdale would fit the bill nicely.

Jenn
08-03-2008, 11:14 PM
GAH! You gentlemen are the seventh and eighth people respectively, to tell me to get a working Airedale. I have worked with some incredible Airedales in the past (not hunting, they were used for mantracking, detection, and bitework) and for years I have viewed them as the incredible breed that I just would never own. I know some people love them (a guy I trained with bred them) but to me, as horrible as it sounds, they're like that "person with the awesome personality that there's just no spark with" that frustrates most of us at some point or another during our dating years... Not saying they're unattractive, I just am not attracted to them as a breed in the least. And I'm usually pretty open when it comes to dog breeds because I like everything from shepherds to bulldogs. But for some reason I just CAN'T like Airedales. And I actually feel MORE BOTHERED by it than the GUYS I just couldn't like! LOL! :)

I'm being really frustrating, aren't I?! :rolleyes:

houndogger
08-04-2008, 10:57 AM
I have only seen one BMC so I don't really have much to add on them. He tried to bite me first off:razz: Pretty hot nose and would run a bear a bit then come back. Not sure how they would be for scent trailing? Hillbilly might have more what you are looking for?

later Dave

Jenn
08-04-2008, 11:34 AM
Yeah I think what I'm going to do is wait until AFTER I get out a few times with folks willing to take me out, and figure out what exactly I want to focus on. It seems it'll be a little difficult getting EVERYTHING I want in one dog. :)

horshur
08-04-2008, 12:52 PM
get a catahoula..there are some around. seen them in buy and sell.

Make strange maybe a little aloof but smart. Hotter nose but so what that generaly means they hunt close which is a bonus.

I'd suggest a leopard cur but they are as rare as Blackmouths here in BC....foundation of that breed is catahoula with some runnin July foxhound .
We have a cross that should be made but buddy is draggin his heals.

I do know where some lab, blackmouth, bluetick, lep muts are but they is absolutely a gamble..

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_1305.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_1068.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0093-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_0975.jpg

Moosenose
08-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah I think what I'm going to do is wait until AFTER I get out a few times with folks willing to take me out, and figure out what exactly I want to focus on. It seems it'll be a little difficult getting EVERYTHING I want in one dog. :)

This is a very good plan Jenn, get out and see as many different types of dogs (also doing different types of hunting) as you can, and take it from there.

and remember what Mick Jagger said
"You can't always get what you want,
you get what you need."

brotherjack
08-04-2008, 02:53 PM
That being said, do I hunt? No. I'd be EXTREMELY interested in getting into tracking wounded game for hunters, but my primary reasons for wanting a BMC are for making my lone hikes in bear/cat country a bit safer.

If that's your two goals for a working dog (tracking and scaring bears/cougars), I would HIGHLY recommend a good German Shepherd (from working lines, not show lines). I have two, and while I don't personally use mine to track with, Shepherds are well known for their excellent noses, and mine most certainly do a great job of putting the fear of dog into undesirable critters; both four legged and two. Not to mention, Shepherds are a good bit more agreeable as companion animal than some of the other working dog breeds I've been exposed to.

Jenn
08-04-2008, 03:06 PM
A Catahoula would DEFINITELY be an option, I've always rather liked them as a breed.

As far as the GSD, I've always had shepherds (I don't do GSD, I do Mals or Dutchies which are healthier, grittier, quicker, easier to find, and cheaper than good GSD) and you can see a couple pics of my past dogs I've posted in the photo thread. I had a couple of nice GSD's throughout the years, though, and my father even bred them when I was younger from lines he worked with in the military stationed in Germany. :)

I love shepherd breeds (my favourite coming from KNPV lines) but had hoped to try something a bit different this time around.

houndogger
08-04-2008, 03:35 PM
I think you should get what you want but if you are looking for trailing wounded game you should pm Mooseman on here. He will be able to put you on to some exellent breeds for this purpose.

Jenn
08-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I think you should get what you want but if you are looking for trailing wounded game you should pm Mooseman on here. He will be able to put you on to some exellent breeds for this purpose.

Hehe, I've had a few e-mails going back and forth between he and I over the last several days. I'm supposed to give him a call when I get back near a landline tomorrow or Wednesday. Looking forward to it, and I'd love to help him get some good, effective PR for the blood trailing organization as well as help him with some admin tasks to get involved.

Regarding breed, my biggest challenge is I am trying to get awesome blood trailing ability in a dog that, at the same time, can be a good companion/protector in the home and on the trail. A couple breeds I have always liked for scent work include the Plott and the breeds it derived from... And I knew of some OLD plotts that had the ability to be ferocious defenders of their master/property but it's been Y-E-A-R-S since I've seen plotts or known anyone involved in them firsthand. Though I've also spoken to that fellow with the bear Plotts someone on here's mentioned, and I'd love to pop over to his place for tea and chat one day in the near future.

In any case, I'm going to see what mooseman has to say over the phone when I get back into Vancouver and we'll go from there. It's been a real exercise in frustration finding that versatile "do it all" breed. :)

green machine
11-08-2008, 06:19 PM
hi jenn have you looked into the catahoula leopard curs. they are very versatile as a breed goes. and can be found in a lot of different colors from solid to full leopard. look them up on the net thats what i did and found they can still be a full on working dog and still be an excellent family dog also very good with other dogs. there is a breeder in duncan off of banks road around the hospital. they are very careful on maintaining the breeds purity and we hopre to get a pup from them in the spring if they breed i know right now they have 2 or 3 pups left from there last litter if your interested. hope this helps.