PDA

View Full Version : bowhunting for dummies

youngfellla
08-07-2005, 09:32 PM
Does anyone have any tips or advice for someone who would like to start bowhunting? Any help would be much appreciated.

Kirby
08-07-2005, 09:40 PM
For set up, go to pro-shops, and talk to them, don't buy a bow until to have looked at 5 or 6, and been to 3 or more shops. Also, look around your area for an archery club, solid instructers, with nothing to gain in a sale can really help you sort through the bull crap that gets slung around.
Set a limit for yourself, what can you spend? what do you want to spend? etc.

Once you have talked with several shops, and know what you want, buy it, and shoot LOTS!
www.bowzone.ca (http://www.bowzone.ca) this is a sight I frequent, and has alot of info, and knowledable guys.

Kirby

FullDraw
08-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Make sure you are a good shot 1st and also shot placement is a major factor. You don't want game running around with arrows sticking out of them!(BAD PRESS!) I would not take long shot 25yards would be about it for me. I would make friends with bow hunters in your area threw clubs or groups. If you shoot traditional check out the Traditional Bow Hunters Of B.C. web site you will find some help there I bet. These are a few things I have learned myself as I am a green horn as well.

FullDraw

Fred
08-08-2005, 08:54 AM
You can also get lots of helpful info from the guys at www.davewatson.com (http://www.davewatson.com) click on community. Lots of bowhunters,a couple of top notch professionals shooters and a whole bunch of respectable people. Fred

greybark
08-08-2005, 12:38 PM
;) Hey Fred , I suggest you go to a 3-d shoot and go around the course with a Compound and a Traditional squad. Don`t be afraid to ask questions and watch out for those Traditional boys as they are "Silver Tongued Doctors":lol:

Next 3-d is aug 19,20,21 at Ridgedale. Ask for me if you wish - Ken Davidson

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Fred
08-08-2005, 03:00 PM
I have been to a couple of 3D shoots but not shot in them.
You know it flipping well figures that the next local shoot is on a weekend where I ,one, have to attend an auction,and two, have to head for Princeton immediately after.
When will the next shoot after that be Ken? Fred

FullDraw
08-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Fred the next local 3D after that is Aug 28 at the Semiahmoo fish and Game Club. I'm still waiting to get my scope so i can get it bore sighted.
FullDraw

greybark
08-08-2005, 10:06 PM
:grin: Hey Fred , There is a flat field 3-d in Burnaby on the 18th Sept and I wont be able to attend . Fulldraw and I will make the 28th Aug Semiahmoo shoot , If you wish look me or Fulldraw up.

Fred
08-09-2005, 08:25 AM
As far as I know that day is open. Is the shoot anywhere near to the Hatchery? Fred

oldtimer
08-09-2005, 04:59 PM
338 follow Greybarks advice-- go to a few 3D shoots , either indoor or outdoor , maybe ask somebody if you could " pull " their bow. Much better if you know someone. Whatever you do-- don't go and spend huge dollars without at least trying a few bows and talking to a bunch of people. If your sole objective is hunting you have 2 choices to make -- compound or traditional. You can't make that choice without trying them. Hope you join the enlightened and go bowhunting--- nothing like it !!!!!!!!!! Mike

bsa30-06
08-09-2005, 05:32 PM
i,am going to try bowhunting next year since i have never used one i checked around and found a place that offers classes (boormans archery) 5 lessons 2 hours each they supply all the equipment ( $95.00) i figured this way i can use the different bows and decide after trying them what i would like to use.This is how i will spend my time after the end of hunting season. For somebody who is just begining in this area of hunting i,ve really enjoyed reading the archery posts keep'em going and thanxs for all the great info without guys like you who are willing to share advice guys like me would be lost.

greybark
08-09-2005, 08:07 PM
As far as I know that day is open. Is the shoot anywhere near to the Hatchery? Fred

:grin: Hey Fred , The 3-d shoot is at the "hatchery" !!!!!

REMEMBER Keep Your Fingertab On --

Kirby
08-09-2005, 08:29 PM
Bsa, Bormans use to be a really good shop, haven't been there lately, but if they are as good as they were, your in for some great lessons.

Kirby

FullDraw
08-09-2005, 09:32 PM
Fred the 3D shot is at the hatchery just go past the hatchery site and up to the club house, you can't miss it. The Semiahmoo 3D is a good course no big hills to tend with and the boys lay out some nice shots. Hope you can make it out!

Fred
08-10-2005, 08:19 AM
I hope to make it too! Hmmm, I wonder how many HBC hats will be in evidence??:wink: Fred

willyqbc
08-10-2005, 08:39 AM
You will get all you need to know out at Boormans...your instructor will most likely be Charles Lands....he is one of the most qualified coaches in the country. I believe he is an Olympic level 4 coach.

Chris

bsa30-06
08-10-2005, 03:35 PM
i,ve heard lots of good things about boormans , i'am really looking forward to doing these lessons in the off season.Any advice anybody can pass along will help alot.thanxs

willyqbc
08-11-2005, 12:30 AM
practice smart or don't practice at all....if you practice bad habits they are EXTREMELY hard to break!!

Chris

FullDraw
08-11-2005, 09:57 AM
That's good advice!

dimitar_kp
08-07-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi there, I'll be happy to have a friend - new bowhunter like me :)

Ruger4
08-07-2009, 11:32 AM
thers a shoot in winfield Aug 23 I believe, come walk the course , ask alot of questions , lots of good guys out here

The Hermit
08-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Advice above is good stuff but it is not all just about bow selection and becoming proficient with the tools. I would add that since your asked about BOWHUNTING that you would be well served by taking the International Bowhunter Education Program. (IBEP) Contact Ted Brookman at the BC Archery Association about course schedules etc. Ted is the Master instructor in BC and a helpful guy!

IBEP is a two day deal where you will learn about the different equipment, bowhunter ethics, Kinetic Energy/Penetration, shot angles, treestand tips and tricks etc etc. It is very inexpensive too!

J_T
08-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Advice above is good stuff but it is not all just about bow selection and becoming proficient with the tools. I would add that since your asked about BOWHUNTING that you would be well served by taking the International Bowhunter Education Program. (IBEP) Contact Ted Brookman at the BC Archery Association about course schedules etc. Ted is the Master instructor in BC and a helpful guy!

IBEP is a two day deal where you will learn about the different equipment, bowhunter ethics, Kinetic Energy/Penetration, shot angles, treestand tips and tricks etc etc. It is very inexpensive too!
Ted Kennedy.