PDA

View Full Version : My retirement gift to myself.

Marc
07-28-2008, 08:00 PM
After almost 18 years of dedicated service with the Canadian Armed forces I'll be medically release on the 17th of Sept for Kidney Stones of all things. Anyways I guess it was time to move on. So to kind of give myself a pat on the back I decided to use some of the next few pension cheques that come in to buy me a new shotty so I can try my best to ensure that little Marshall doesn't get bored in the blind. :biggrin:

It's a Remington 11-87 12 gauge Super magnum (XCS) Extreme Conditions Shotgun. You can pretty much drag it through the swamp or salt chuck and it will keep on shooting without worrying of it rusting.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/My_retirement_gift.JPG

kloosterboer
07-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Congrats!! I geuss you'll have lots of time to use it!:biggrin:

bsa30-06
07-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Nice toy, looks like Marshall is ready to go.

Buck
07-28-2008, 08:40 PM
I think i would rather stay in the army than get another kidney stone.Enjoy we should have lots of good fowling stories this year.

308Lover
07-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Good on you Marc! I've had the stones, know the pain, and I'm ex RCN--how's that for a connection! What an awesome dog/shotgun combo! Enjoy! You deserve it if only for the pain! Ha! Ha!

Tarp Man
07-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Thank you Marc, for serving your country and congratulations on the retirement present! Great idea on the XCR for the salt stuff... Marshall is in for a workout!

Crazy_Farmer
07-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Gun looks great. I've always liked the looks of that line up since it came out last year in both the 870 or 11-87. Both are great looking guns, and should be able to handle some abuse.

wolverine
07-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Best wishes to you Marc as you embark on a new adventure. Nice shotty, great looking partner.

Cheers.

Poguebilt
07-28-2008, 09:13 PM
after having stones I feel for ya!!!

p.s If I EVER get them again.. im going in for surgury ASAP!!! its way less pain!

Marc
07-28-2008, 09:15 PM
Congrats!! I geuss you'll have lots of time to use it!:biggrin:

I'm already starting a new job so I hope to have some weekends to do some hunting but every chance I get to get out in the marsh you can bet I'll be there.

I think i would rather stay in the army than get another kidney stone.Enjoy we should have lots of good fowling stories this year. The funny thing is The kidney stones haven't bothered me in two years but the new policy states if you pass more then one stone in your career you don't meet universality of service.

Good on you Marc! I've had the stones, know the pain, and I'm ex RCN--how's that for a connection! What an awesome dog/shotgun combo! Enjoy! You deserve it if only for the pain! Ha! Ha!

I'm sure there are a few more sailors out there on the site as well. I'm going to miss serving with the close friends I’ve made over the last 18 years and the foreign ports of course :). I’m going to miss it but after what I’ve gone through the last two years waiting for them to make a decision I’m now happy to leave.

BowSitter
07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Way to go Marc, thing looks like it is a ducks worst nightmare!!:smile:
Kidney stones BITE, I had one that was 11mm and way to big to pass through my inadequate appendage. :shock:

huntwriter
07-28-2008, 09:40 PM
After almost 18 years of dedicated service with the Canadian Armed forces I'll be medically release on the 17th of Sept for Kidney Stones of all things. Anyways I guess it was time to move on. So to kind of give myself a pat on the back I decided to use some of the next few pension cheques that come in to buy me a new shotty so I can try my best to ensure that little Marshall doesn't get bored in the blind. :biggrin:

It's a Remington 11-87 12 gauge Super magnum (XCS) Extreme Conditions Shotgun. You can pretty much drag it through the swamp or salt chuck and it will keep on shooting without worrying of it rusting.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/My_retirement_gift.JPG

Now that right there is nice toy to have. As a matter of fact just today I caressed a Model 870™ XCS Marine Magnum at the gun store. It’s now on my wish list.

Good choice Marc.

daycort
07-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Have a good retirement Marc. That looks like a nice retirement gift to me.

Steeleco
07-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Congrats Marc, I see you found the "store" no trouble. Was good to see you and K1 Saturday. Enjoy the toy!!

Elkhound
07-28-2008, 10:42 PM
very nice shottie indeed

lineofsight
07-28-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm already starting a new job

Too funny, figured if in the forces that long then used to working and have skills, no way that would not be working again real soon and later in the thread... Though nice to work cause choose to.

Dont forget to paint the hulls to match the stock.

Jager-mister?
07-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Well congrats on the retirement...I think...there are better ways to have to leave! The stones definitely suck, good luck and speedy recovery.
Nice shotty, I shoot an older 11-87 Premier in the 3 in. Even it has never let me down in the field. Gets a little bogged down after 100 rounds or so on the range/course, quick cleaning and away she goes. Keep eying up one of those magnums though myself :wink:.
All the best, and thanks for your service to our country!!!
T

shotgunjohn
07-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Nice looking gun Marc.
And Marshall's looking great.
Now you just have to work harder on your excuses!

Sorry.
Couldn't resist.

Wildman
07-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Way to go Marc...enjoy your retirement from the armed forces!

Marc
07-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Nice looking gun Marc.
And Marshall's looking great.
Now you just have to work harder on your excuses!

Sorry.
Couldn't resist.

I was thinking the same thing John, have to get out and shoot some skeet before the season open.

anglo-saxon
07-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Marc: 18 years is a decent stretch in the military and you have no doubt contributed lots as well as come away a better man for the experience. Have a beer for those of us still soldiering on. Best wishes for your new career and enjoy your fist season with that new cannon. Great pic, BTW!

Jimbo
07-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Congrats on the retirement Marc, inspite of the circumstances. Beauty of a shotgun too! Should be hell on anything that flies.

Phreddy
07-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Congratulations on your retirement Marc. Glad to hear you're moving right into another job. Too many folks I retired with died within a few months of retiring because they did nothing and vegetated.
Seems like everytime I had Kidney stones it hurt like hell, but I'll never forget the worse pain of trying to pass the damn things. Had to back up about 3 blocks before the first drop got out.

cwocarsten
08-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Congrats on your retirement. I am still in after 31-1/2 years and I need to pull the pin. Lucky for me my wife says I can have an extra week for hunting if I release............hmmmm.

Shed Hunter
08-02-2008, 11:06 AM
I see your not retiring your trigger finger. Thats a good thing.

MattB
08-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Nice shotgun Marc! Congrats on retiring as well and good luck passing the stones! :eek:

Dirty
08-02-2008, 12:21 PM
Too bad you can't pass the stones semi-automatically :razz:. Nice shotty, I am sure it will get lots of use this year!