PDA

View Full Version : Can carbon arrow ruin meat???

Hunter4life
08-06-2005, 09:44 PM
I was looking through a arrow broshure and in the back it had a warning that said something like "if a carbon breaks in an animal its splinters can get into the meat which contaminates it" and it said that it is best to get rid of the meat from the area where the arrow broke. So i was wondering if you would cut out the meat where the arrow broke??? i know it would just be a small portion of meat to cut out but i want all the meat i can get. is it something i should be concerned about??

hunter4life

sealevel
08-06-2005, 10:44 PM
I think the chance would be 1 in a hole bunch i would not be conserned at all . but if it did yes you would want to get rid of a lot of meat carbon arrow would break in a hundred splinters.

FullDraw
08-07-2005, 01:41 PM
That's a good one never heard of that but it would bust up and splinter into the meat. I'm going to hunt with woods.

Bow Walker
08-07-2005, 05:53 PM
If, by chance, you shoot an animal with a carbon arrow that has a small, unnoticeable fracture in it the possibility of it splintering when it hits a bone or even glances off a bone is very high.:|

If after shooting and recovering an animal you find that your carbon arrow is broken (or worse yet splintered) be very very careful removing it from the carcass.

Check the arrow for integrity and if at all in doubt, cut away the affected area of meat. Carbon splinters are almost undetectable, especially in "bloody" meat and fat tissue.

Don't take a chance.;)

oldtimer
08-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Hunterforlife.... GO FOR PASS THRU !!!!!!! no splinters.. Your arrow will tell all. If broken off most likely splinters somewhere.Check the meat over and cut away a circle around the wound. But again... GET PASS THRU !!!!!! lmao.... Mike

Walksalot
08-09-2005, 08:09 PM
If I found a shattered carbon after shooting an animal I can tell you there would be alot of wasted meat and I sure wouldn't leave it for some poor scavanger to have a carbon sliver stitch it's way though the poor buggers guts.:eek: