PDA

View Full Version : i am a hunting noob need help with all

headhunter257
07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
I am completely new to the sport and got a high love for the rifle’s that sniper use but I know a sniper rifle is only a sniper rifle in trained hands so my uncle told me to get a tikka t3 lite rifle with a Leopold scope for long range I was looking at a R700 and the same scope I do plan on hunting but I would love to do that far shooting I was thinking of a 308 or a 30-06 and a 270 win but not sure I know a 30-06 is a great round that I keep hearing that its great for all around price not so much but I can always get a job what I am trying to say is what rifle would be a good one for me being only 15 should I go with wood or plastic >? And what type of scope do u guys think I should get and what calibre. I am a noob to the sport hunting but my last name is hunter :? so what gear u guy think a noob like me should go out with :oops:

Fixit
07-23-2008, 11:39 PM
i think that everyone should start with a 22lr, ammo is dirt cheep (500/20 bucks) and that way you can learn to shoot without breaking the bank.
then after a while you'l have a better idea what you want (do lots of reading, and ask lots of questions)

Dragginbait
07-24-2008, 07:50 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_201.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt425YYCA) You won't go wrong with any of those calibers, but I'd go with the 06, if you planned on hunting any of the bigger critters in BC. The 270 will work fine, but some say it's a little lite for bigger game and you don't have as great a bullet selection as with the 30 cals.

BiG Boar
07-24-2008, 07:55 AM
I think you have to make clear exactly what you want in a gun. Do you want to shoot long range? Do you want to shoot super accuratly? Do you want to hunt with it? What kind of animals? Do you want to shoot 500 yards or 1000 yards? Do you want to shoot lots of ammo and have a reasonable cost or are you parents wealthy industrialist? There is no perfect gun that does absolutly everything, for dirt cheap. But If you want a good all round gun, man up and get a magnum.

moosinaround
07-24-2008, 07:59 AM
I think you have to make clear exactly what you want in a gun. Do you want to shoot long range? Do you want to shoot super accuratly? Do you want to hunt with it? What kind of animals? Do you want to shoot 500 yards or 1000 yards? Do you want to shoot lots of ammo and have a reasonable cost or are you parents wealthy industrialist? There is no perfect gun that does absolutly everything, for dirt cheap. But If you want a good all round gun, man up and get a magnum.
You betcha, 300 win mag all the way!! Woo Hoo!!! Bang Flop!!! Moosin

headhunter257
07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/12/12_1_201.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt425YYCA) You won't go wrong with any of those calibers, but I'd go with the 06, if you planned on hunting any of the bigger critters in BC. The 270 will work fine, but some say it's a little lite for bigger game and you don't have as great a bullet selection as with the 30 cals.
are u saying that i should look at the 300mag ? and what cal would u hand me and i was allso told to look in to the 7mm

BiG Boar
07-24-2008, 08:32 AM
On second thought being 15 year old you may want to stick with the 30/06, or the 7mm, or 270. A magnum like the 300 win mag may scare the crap out of you. And hunting in depends isnt good, they make to much swooshing noise while stalking in on something.

Steeleco
07-24-2008, 08:37 AM
a noob like me should go out with :oops:First off, as old as we all may be, we can still read smaller font!!!
Second. Unless you have an adult that's got their PAL already, you won't be able to shop for anything till your 18.
Third, get someone to take you to the range with lots of .22 and a bolt action rifle. Practice lots, you've got lots of time.

But the T3 and a Leupold scope would be a great package in a .308 FWIW

Bighorn hunter
07-24-2008, 08:44 AM
I started with a remington mountain rifle in 30-06. I was 14 at the time. In my opinion it was to light of a gun to start off with, as to this day 20 yrs later, I really have to concentrate not to flinch. I love magnums and have one myself, but unless your a really big kid, Start with a heavy rifle in any of those calibres, there all good. Also like the guys are saying, buy a 22 as well, you can't beat the cheap practice.

bhh

P.S.

Just bought my kids a chipmunck yesterday(took about 4 hrs for the gov't to do their paper work before I could take it out of the store) going out this morn with them to try it out,, can't wait

Crazy.kayaker
07-24-2008, 10:35 AM
I agree get a .22 LR costs anywhere from 20-40 bucks depending on the ammo for a brick of 500 and you can spend all day shooting with one brick. You learn to shoot accurately for next to no money. Buy a good .22 LR I'm particularly fond of Lever actions but there are really good .22 Semi-auto's and Bolt Actions out there for cheap. Also mentioned above you WILL NOT BE BUYING A GUN till you've taken and passed you PAL and are 18 years old so you'll need to have people you know take you out shooting with their guns.

For hunting I have a M88-.308 and love it but as mentioned learning to shoot with one can and will break the bank as each bullet costs $0.98 up to over $2.50.

Good luck how ever you go.

headhunter257
07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree get a .22 LR costs anywhere from 20-40 bucks depending on the ammo for a brick of 500 and you can spend all day shooting with one brick. You learn to shoot accurately for next to no money. Buy a good .22 LR I'm particularly fond of Lever actions but there are really good .22 Semi-auto's and Bolt Actions out there for cheap. Also mentioned above you WILL NOT BE BUYING A GUN till you've taken and passed you PAL and are 18 years old so you'll need to have people you know take you out shooting with their guns.

For hunting I have a M88-.308 and love it but as mentioned learning to shoot with one can and will break the bank as each bullet costs $0.98 up to over $2.50.

Good luck how ever you go.
i do have a 22 a 597rem i have but lots of round down range and i do have my pal youth and i have also done my rpal for hand guns so not that im not trained its that the core dident teach me a good price for guns and such so what gun would u sugest to me and i do have a 22 and i have put about 10000rnd in it

moosinaround
07-24-2008, 11:09 AM
On a serious note, I started with a 177cal. pellet gun, folks bought me a 22lr, and then moved into a lever action 30-30 win model 94. I never moved up to a magnum till I was 19yrs old. I stsrted hunting with 303 brit. with iron sights. You could shoot an 30'06 no problem. a 308 would do as well. It doesn't really matter what big bore rifle you choose, you just have to practice with it! LOTS!!! practice at 50yrd, 100, 200, 300yrds. after 50-100 rnds you will feel no recoil, and it will be second nature to load unload and handle your firearm. Moosin

headhunter257
07-24-2008, 11:51 AM
thank you i have bin shooting my 177pelletgun for about 6 years and got my 22 last xmass and looking to be geting in to a biger rifle funny story i was lookin at a 303brit a ennfilid m1 but i am looking to get in to a big round
thank you

LOC
07-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Don't start too big with the center fires. The last thing you want to do is start at too large a caliber and develop all sorts of bad habits.

I've never shot one, but .308, .303 or .30-06 would all be good as suggested.

.30-30 is a great cartridge to play with, same as a .300 Savage :)

If you do decide on a 'big round' I'd start with reduced recoil loads.

my $0.02

JeffR
07-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Lots of good advice here, but you haven't said what type of hunting you are going to be doing? If you are going to be deer hunting primarily, get a 6.5x55 or 7mm-08. More than enough for deer, lots of jam left over for larger critters should the need arise, but still easy to shoot. You can always get a magnum down the road if you decide you need several guns, but you don't want to start off with something too big for your first one.

headhunter257
07-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Lots of good advice here, but you haven't said what type of hunting you are going to be doing? If you are going to be deer hunting primarily, get a 6.5x55 or 7mm-08. More than enough for deer, lots of jam left over for larger critters should the need arise, but still easy to shoot. You can always get a magnum down the road if you decide you need several guns, but you don't want to start off with something too big for your first one.

i would like a gun so incase a big ass bear come running at me i got lots of boom for what i got and not too big for deer and med sized animals wouldent the 300mag in small loads do me >? or is it still too big i know a well placed shot from a 7mm or a 06 would do it but im a 15 year old kid who would shit his pants if he saw a bear come at him:p

BiG Boar
07-25-2008, 09:55 AM
i know of some kids who shoot the 300 win mag with reduced recoil for practice and regular load for the actual shots that count. They seem to do fine. How much do you have to spend is the real question?

JeffR
07-25-2008, 04:09 PM
if your primary use for the gun will be bear defence, followed by some deer hunting, get a lever action 30/30. Enough jam for what you want, quick follow up shots, and cheap to own and shoot. I wouldn't get a magnum for your first centerfire if I were you.

headhunter257
07-26-2008, 01:43 AM
i can spen i have saved up 1100$ so i dont know what that would get me but i just got more money so i got 1600

ROM
07-26-2008, 03:37 AM
My sugestion is to get a .308 in Stevens 200 topped with a leopold 4x12. shoot and hunt with the gun like crazy. the .308 will last longer than faster shooting calibers, is cheap to shoot, has a great range, and you can learn what kind of a gun you want. I wore out my .308 and learned to shoot well. Then moved to a 12 bvss savage 300 wsm and took the leupold scope from the .308. Talk about a tack driver.

I have seen many shooters follow this path.

I would not recommend spending 1600 on a first gun. I beat mine up real bad while I was learning.

Also, I would stay with the efficient cartridge frontier which includes anything based on the .308 case (.243, 7mm-o8, 338 federal) or the WSM's. The WSM would give you braging rights at camp.

have fun.

R

ROM
07-26-2008, 03:57 AM
One last thing. I would take a 270 WSM over a 270 or .3006 anyday but the 270 and .3006 may be better starter guns. if sniping is what you want the 270 wsm shines big time. AND the 270 WSM will drop any ungulate or blackies under 300 yards in north america. Grizz are a completely different story IMHV.

I used to pour over ballistic tables night and day when I was making a purchase. My vote is still for the .308. Look at the federal premium or hornady light magnum loads. They are awsome.

r