PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

blindman
07-18-2008, 08:45 PM
I've been a lurker on this site for almost a year and I enjoy the reports and pictures of the hunts across the border from me. My problem is that the ducks I see Ian and Dano posing with, never made it to where I hunt and so I am going to have to even the playing field and get over to your happy hunting ground. I promise to behave myself, to display good sportsmanship, obey all your laws and stay out of Dano's blind. I've obtained my PAL, my gun registration is pending and I have my Fraser Valley hunting map so my next step is to start canoeing some likely spots. I even paddle a Clipper canoe, so as you can tell, I like Canadian stuff and even the people. From reading your posts, I guess I'm not the only one who has ducks on the mind all year long.

07-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Welcome to the site!! Went on my first duck and goose hunts last year and all l can say is l am sorry l waited so many years to try it. Good luck with your future water fouling....

Ian F.
07-19-2008, 07:32 AM
So Ken, can we call this your outing?

Welcome to the bright space beyond the shadows!

Ian

blindman
07-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Not knowing what the Canadian definition for "outing" is, I'll just say I am going to cross the border and head into the "bush." Looking at the pictures of some of the places you hunt just makes me want to enjoy the scenery and a duck would be good but not necessary to make it a great outdoor experience.

Jimbo
07-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Blindman, is there any hunting potential on the rivers in NW Wash.? Must be some public boat launch areas around and slow water places to put a few decoys. What about the Skagit R.? It has a heck of a snow goose population.

blindman
07-19-2008, 12:16 PM
I know of a couple places on the Nooksack, but the access is through tribal land and not workable. There are few boat launches on the Nooksack also and it would be a long run to get to huntable water. The delta area of the Skagit River near Mount Vernon is well known for waterfowling and there are boat as well as walk in accesses. There are people who hunt the middle area of the Skagit also. Are you looking for places or just wondering why I would head north for some waterfowling?

BigBanger
07-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the site .

Jimbo
07-19-2008, 05:25 PM
I was just wondering if you had hunted the local areas or if the grass looked greener on the north side. Not to sure of the regs. for visiting bird hunters, but lots ducks in the fall & winter. Welcome to the site and good luck.

blindman
07-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Just looking for variety. I do a lot of walk in hunting and the rest of the time I use the Marsh Rat for entry into wet or flooded areas. I intended to branch out to the middle of Washington State this season but the cost of fuel kind of killed that plan. Beside that, when I used to steelhead a lot in lower BC, I saw plenty of areas that held ducks on my trips to and from the rivers. Now the work begins as I start scouting to earn my places to hunt and hopefully end up successful this Fall.

Marc
07-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Blindman welcome to the site.

I did a bit of duck hunting last fall and it had been a year or so since I had done some because my lab was 11 and retired now and I hate hunting without a dog. Well being out a couple of times and hunting over dogs again rekindled my love of water fowling and I got the bug real bad this time around. I picked up a Chesapeake Bay retriever, and a MOmarsh Fatboy over the winter and it looks like my wife is now letting me get a new shotgun as a retirement gift to myself from the Navy. I've got a buggered knee that I expect to have surgery on this fall so I figure I'll be spending the majority of my fall duck hunting from a boat.
My favorite style of hunting still has to be over salt water but I think it's because I used to do it with my father when I was younger.

blindman
07-20-2008, 07:19 AM
The timing for the surgery isn't the greatest, but with duck hunting as an incentive, you recuperate faster! I had the same thing a few years ago with back surgery and the doctor moved up my operating schedule to accommodate my hunting plans; I don't even think he is a duck hunter.
Thanks for the welcome.

dave
07-20-2008, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the site Blindman

I'll keep my eyes open for a clipper canoe. You will be able to recognize my boat with two boys, a black dog and too many decoys (at least that is what Dano says).

Dave

Dano
07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Welcome to the site, Blindman. How hard is it to cross the border to hunt?
Dave, No such thing as too many decoys, .....but your boat does appear to be a bit small. (actually, that's 2 things that aren't ever right. Boat is always too small, and never enough decoys!)
Dan

blindman
07-20-2008, 10:35 PM
Dave,

I won't be paddling the Clipper during waterfowl season; just Preseason to familiarize myself with areas to hunt. I'll use a Marsh Rat or a BBSB for hauling my dog and "too many decoys."

Dano,

I guess your question is "how hard it will be for me to enter Canadian duck space," and I really won't know for sure until I try it the first time. Supposedly with my PAL and firearm registration card, the crossing should be easy; no firearm paperwork. Will it go as forecast? That will depend on who is on duty and how they interpret the rules. I am planning on visiting the Canadian authorities at the crossing I will use and discussing the process, and introducing myself prior to showing up on my first trip hunting. If that doesn't work I guess plan "B" would be put in motion; paddle my camo Marsh Rat to White Rock with my hunting stuff hidden in a hockey bag. What do you suppose my chance for success will be?
(Just kidding in case any customs people monitor this site.)

Dano
07-20-2008, 11:00 PM
I was just wondering how you go about bringing an unregistered gun into Canada and do you have to call ahead that you are even coming to the border with a gun. I'm bringing one in via all the proper steps and it's a nuicence but do-able (it's been a few months already) but hopefully I get the shotgun this week or next,... I'll post pics!;-)).
I brought a car back from Bellevue in an enclosed trailer and the Canadian guys didn't even look into the trailer to see what I said was there, was in there.......:roll:.
Dan

blindman
07-24-2008, 08:51 PM
My registration cards came so I am set to buy my hunting license next. Hunters from the US without registration cards can cross the border by just filling out some paper work and paying the fee for short term; I believe it is 60 days. The Canadian web site suggests obtaining the paper work ahead of time and having it filled out prior to arriving at the border to save time.

I have nothing but positive things to say regarding the way my PAL and registration of firearms was handled; very polite and helpful people. Just normal Canadians eh! Hope the Canadian ducks will be as helpful and cooperative.

longshot
07-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the site Blindman. It is great to see more and more hunters coming on the site.

Good Luck Hunting !! :-D

Longshot

blindman
07-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the welcome. How is duck hunting on the island?

Marc
07-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome. How is duck hunting on the island?

The island has a few birds but there are better places on the mainland to hunt then here. We have very few areas that are crown land, mostly agricultural land that you need permission to hunt.

Fisher-Dude
07-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Just normal Canadians eh! Hope the Canadian ducks will be as helpful and cooperative.

The Canadian ducks all go "quack, eh".

blindman
07-27-2008, 03:54 PM
The Canadian ducks all go "quack, eh".

I'm glad to hear that. It will be a relief to hear something other than the "Quack ,Huh" that they switch to when they cross the border.:biggrin:

fowl language
07-27-2008, 08:30 PM
blindman, dont forget you need the fraser valley special insurance if you plan to hunt the fraser valley. you can use your house insurance or join bc.wildlife fed, . you can do this at most sporting goods stores, i know brian at stillwater sports 604 946 9933.does all the above and he can sell you both, and is fairly helpfull with other info. if your coming up to hunt there already is 4 wash.state residents that hunt up here and they have no problem at the border....fowl

blindman
07-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Fowl,

I was aware of the insurance requirement but I really appreciate you going to the trouble of making sure I didn't mess up and hunt without it. In fact I emailed the BCWF today about membership since I wasn't sure they accepted aliens and whether or not the insurance only covered Canadian members. I have my own liability but since I'll be hunting in BC, I'd like to support BCWF. I attended one of their banquets a few years ago and came home with some neat auction items.

Thanks again,

Ken