PDA

View Full Version : Goat Hunt

shirtr
07-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Hello,
I would like to inquire about hunting Goats in BC. Just wondering if you guys could fill me in on approximate costs, places to hunt a nice winter goat, and availability of tags to out of province hunters as I am from Alberta.
Thanks in advance.

mainland hunter
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
You'll need to hire a guide, here's a link to start looking
http://goabc.org/outfitter-directory-and-hunt-guide-directory.aspx

todbartell
07-16-2008, 10:48 PM
canadian resident can hunt with a family member during a GOS, IIRC

bighornbob
07-17-2008, 08:24 AM
A resident of BC has to take you out. A permit to accompany is around 30 bucks (dont quote me on this) a general hunting license is $75 and a goat tag is $350.

There is no way you can go without a BC resident. If you hire a guide you are looking at about $5000.

BHB

07-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Here is a quote from the BC Fish And Wildlife Branch policies/procedures:

Permit Allocation — Non-Resident (Canadian and Alien) Hunting

• Effective Date: September 30, 1985
POLICY STATEMENT:
It is the Policy of the Ministry:
To issue permits to residents wishing to accompany non-residents, and to residents wishing to accompany closely related non-resident aliens in lieu of a guide, while hunting for big game, only in areas where the harvest of the species applied for is not allocated under Limited Entry Hunting or quota and where no remuneration or other compensation is or will be paid.

Seems you cannot get a resident permit to accompany to hunt LEH species and goats are on LEH in most of the province. Thus you'll need to find an area where goats are not on LEH. 4-37, 4-39 and 4-40 near Golden and Revelstoke are such areas.

riflebuilder
07-18-2008, 04:24 PM
I took my brother and nephew last year for goats while I hunted stones. You just need a BC resident willing to take you and hunt in an area that has a general open season. So you are looking at northern BC or the coast and a few mu in region 4 near Golden and Revelstoke.

Avalanche123
07-20-2008, 04:34 PM
6-14 (Portion only open)) to 6-16 (small portion closed) are GOS for goat in Region 6. A section of 6-8 is also open for bow only GOS from Aug 15 to Oct 19 if you are a bow hunter.

shirtr
07-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys.
Anyone have any good info on guides for these critters? Past experiences?

butcher
08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Put an ad on this website and offer to trade hunts with a BC resident. I did that with a couple Alberta guys and it worked out awesome. Way less expensive than a guided hunt.

Springer
09-25-2008, 02:58 AM
Ya Butcher put us Flatlanders through the Iron Man hunt and helped me get my Goat,which was priority on my list. My Wifes favourite Mount in the cool room.We took him in Oct so the Cape was in perfect condition.

Like Geoff said put an offer to trade hunts,as long as money or reward does not change hands your set.

Good Luck.