PDA

View Full Version : Pemmican

MikeB
07-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Anybody got a good recipe for this stuff.

kyleklassen
04-14-2017, 08:13 PM
No......wish I did.

jlirot
04-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Cliff Bars

Clint_S
04-15-2017, 10:37 AM
Clif bars and jerky.
Seriously though I would also like to know how to make the real deal.
I've read tons of books on the fur trade and associated characters but have never come across a detailed description of how it's made with ratios of components. It seems pretty simple just berries, jerked meat and fat but still would like a tried and true recipe. I would be concerned with the fat going rancid. My old man found a brick when he was plowing a field many years ago up near burns lake but that was before my time.

rimfire
06-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Not to resurrect this old post but John Townsend posted some videos on his Youtube channel about making pemmican. They are pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_vLuMobHCI

HarryToolips
06-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Looks pretty cool, can't wait to try to make it one day when I have time..

gamer
06-11-2017, 11:05 PM
This is the recipe I use. I love it and make a batch every year to take with me into the bush.
I form it into rectagles 3"x2" and 1" thick or so and wrap in wax paper and then store it in a ziplock.
http://www.backwoodshome.com/traditional-trail-foods/

1 part jerky
1 part peanuts or pecans, unroasted
1 part raisins
1 part any seedless dried fruit(s) not preserved with sulfites—apples, peaches, blueberries, etc.
Peanut butter and honey, in a two-to-one ratio
Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional, but contrasts nicely with the sweet fruits and honey.)

Powder the jerky in a blender. Add fruit and nuts. Microwave honey and peanut butter to soften them, then blend them into the mixture. (Use less than you think you’ll need, just enough to bind everything together. If you get it wrong, it’s easier to add more peanut butter and honey than to add more of everything else.) Add cayenne pepper, working it in thoroughly. Store in plastic bags.

IslandWanderer
06-12-2017, 12:09 AM
Sounds awesome. Any guess on how long it can be out of the fridge?

warnniklz
06-12-2017, 12:06 PM

Git some I've had in a cupboard for a year and a half now. Still edible

rimfire
06-13-2017, 12:51 PM

I've heard time frames from a few months to decades if prepared properly.