PDA

View Full Version : how do I know who's land it is?

Brett
07-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi everybody, I'm new here and new to hunting. I've been reading tons of info from guns to field dressing. I will be hunting or trying to hunt mule deer in region 5-13b and was wondering how I know who's land I'll be shooting on? How should I go about asking for permission? or should I just take my chances? and what are the repercussions of hunting somewhere not signed or fenced if it's not crown land?

Thanks

CoqTrophys
07-13-2008, 03:47 PM
go get yourself a backroads map. they are the best for finding crown land. if its property you wish to hunt asking the owner is the only way to do it. Dont ever hunt someones property without permission. Make the regulations for that region very familiar to you as well. good luck.

ryanb
07-13-2008, 04:35 PM
The Backroads mapbook DOES NOT indicate what is/is not crown land. PLEASE PLEASE do not use the backroads mapbook to find out where crown land is. Personally I use a BC government service I have access to through work to find out where private property is, I am not sure what is available to the public.

Brett
07-13-2008, 04:45 PM
I use a BC government service I have access to through work to find out where private property is, I am not sure what is available to the public.

So.... how much?8-) I know what roads I wanna hunt off!

ARGR
07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
http://webmaps.gov.bc.ca/imf5/imf.jsp?site=olc

Find your area, zoom to 1:50,000 over it.
Turn on the cadastre
Click on the section you want to hunt.
If it shows a STREET ADDRESS, it is private land.

ARGR
07-13-2008, 04:53 PM
oops its changed since i last used it. It now says: OWNERSHIP CLASS:

Mr. Friendly
07-13-2008, 05:00 PM
the hunting synopsis also gives you basic information for some area's with private land being involved. I know I wish to find out more about the area surrounding Lac Du Bois in the Lac Du Bois Prov. Park...can't tell if the lake is actually private or crown lands, LOL!

Brett
07-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Now that is some cool stuff! Thanks, now I just need to find my roads on it!

whitetailsheds
07-13-2008, 05:56 PM
If you are familiar with someone (landowner) in an area already, start networking. Ask who their neighbor is and get familiar with as many people as you can and start asking around for permission. Plain, old fashioned door knocking can get you into some great territory. Introducing yourself with a friendly handshake can open many a gate.
Landowner maps are also available, and can get you started as well in being able to ask for a "Mr. So and So". I've always preferred meeting face to face rather than over the phone. It's easier for the landowner to start to get an idea of who he/ she is dealing with. Thus, figure out whether or not to trust someone out on their place. Although, I have phoned landowners when that certain field has a big buck or bull hanging around in it. Permission has been granted, some not.
Quite often the landowner will tell you, if you don't ask, where property lines end/ start, just to make sure you don't end up on some other property with no permission.
Good luck!

moosinaround
08-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi everybody, I'm new here and new to hunting. I've been reading tons of info from guns to field dressing. I will be hunting or trying to hunt mule deer in region 5-13b and was wondering how I know who's land I'll be shooting on? How should I go about asking for permission? or should I just take my chances? and what are the repercussions of hunting somewhere not signed or fenced if it's not crown land?

Thanks
Is that the antlerless mulie leh? I have the same leh. I hunt out there all the time! not that much private land out there, most of it is fenced or posted. Give me a pm if yah want to go check it out! Moosin