PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Hawaii?

Wayne
07-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I will be going to Hawaii in August. A buddy of mine told me that there are lots of wild boars there, which can be hunted, no license required. He also claims that firearms can be sold there with no license?

If all this was true, it would make hunting of wild boars legal and possible for me.... Sounds too good to be true. Does anyone know anything about this?

FLHTCUI
07-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Google is your freind, do a search there and see what youcan come up with.
From what I heard in the bar last week, there are big boars there, but you need a gun and being an alien in the Country , it might be achallenge to do this.
Let us know what you find out and better yet, take some pics f the critter and such when you get back.
Rob

bighornbob
07-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Unless you are a US citizen you can not buy a gun there.

BHB

Wayne
07-11-2008, 10:26 AM
My research shows that in Hawaii it is legal to hunt boars with a firearm, bow, spear and in many places with a knife!!! Provided that I can buy a bow at Walmart, that problem is solved.

The other thing is that Hawaii requires a hunting license, for which you have to have a version of their CORE. They also have an option to aquire the license with a letter of exeption, but I am not clear if this apllies to aliens too...

bighornbob
07-11-2008, 11:12 AM
I just took a quick look and all you need is the letter of excemption. This requires you show proof of taking CORE here and sending a copy of that with ID and then you can buy your hunting license on line.

On their site they said they had a number of deer species too that were introduced so I assume you could also hunt those.

BHB

MB_Boy
07-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Wayne....

There is boar hunting, and Columbian blacktails (brought over from Oregon; don't know if you can hunt them if you are non-res) on Kauai and there was an advertisement right out on the street offering to take hunters out. I never inquired but did run into a few boars when hiking down into Waimea Canyon.

If you do a search on the forum there was a thread about hunting over there a few months back.

Chameleon
07-11-2008, 01:29 PM
It sounds like fun, but I think I'd rather be sitting on the beach or sipping a cold one floating in the pool.

Wayne
07-11-2008, 02:33 PM
I made an inquiry to the office of the Hawaii Hunter Education Program and after 3 hours this is their reply.

Thank you for your inquiry in the Letter of Exemption. Yes you may fill our Request for Letter of Exemption and make photo copy of a valid photo ID along with your certification cards front and back.

Now with the Letter of Exemption I can purchase a hunting license ($95 for aliens), buy a crossbow, and off I go.

Funny things is, it is legal to hunt pigs with a spear or even knife.
Not sure yet how much is a tag.

David Heitsman
07-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Wayne,

What island are you visiting?

RBH
07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
A number of years ago I read and article on the front page of the Wall Street Journal (!) about boar hunting on Maui. Wild pigs are a problem there and hunting is active. The hunting in question involved running the pigs down and then killing them with a knife. I have seen other stuff on this and I am sure that Mr. Google will soon reveal the opportunities to you. I have noticed that there is a style of knife called 'pigstickers' -- long pointy things (see for example http://www.deweyknives.com.au/pig.html ) which I assume are for just this purpose. Have fun and report back!!

H Wally
09-18-2008, 08:54 PM
My roommate goes there every year and bow hunts with a borrowed compound bow and has a blast!

Have fun!

Duckman
08-24-2011, 11:19 PM
3 Year bump!

Any recent hunting reports from Hawaii?

BCBRAD
08-25-2011, 05:37 AM
By the time the paper work is done your stay most likely will be over eg: how long are you a visitor ah 4 weeks ok then we send the paper work in 6 weeks. The locals want to keep these opportunities to themselves and throw legal road blocks in your way. It can be done but prepare for a wait. Lots of boar and turkey's especially on the big island.

Piperdown
08-25-2011, 08:07 AM
Have a place on Kauai and we go for lots of hikes in the mountians. There is blacktail, boar and goats. There is a rifle season for boar and also with dog and knife. Have run into lots of hunters in the bush and followed and watched. Was asked to go on a god and knife hunt but we flew out the next day, also didn't think my medical coverage would cover me if i got hurt hunting with the dog and knife method :) Did see hunts advertised though. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out might want to give it a try one year.

BigfishCanada
08-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Was in Lanai a month ago, deer everywhere and open season. A few co workers (americans) went hunting with locals so they are for hire.

RoverHound
08-25-2011, 08:41 AM
Definitely a lot of guided operations down there. I was in Kona in February and looked into it, fairly decent prices (particularly compared to a goat hunt here). The big island has turkey, pheasant, goat, mouflon sheep, deer, hogs and wild cattle. That's right, wild cattle. I'll post some links to the outfits I looked into, unfortunately they didn't fit into our schedule while i was down there (bloody girlfriend). Bear in mind these outfits, particularly Parker Ranch are the biggest ones on the islands so you may find a cheaper smaller one. http://hunt.parkerranch.com/
http://www.hawaiisafaris.com/game.php

srupp
08-25-2011, 01:56 PM
hmmm did the boar hunt 3 decades ago...while I was in my middle ages..lol tagged along with some friends who live there..was surprised at how big these are..not little wiener pigs big- tough- vocal...and fast..mmmmm not sure all the methods used are available today...and the table fare was phenominal...however these folks are Hawaiians.. and know how to put on ground oven emu? spread...marlin..sharks....then pig hunting..although I wasnt allowed to do the harvesting..just along on the hunt....
srr

pg83
08-25-2011, 04:32 PM
My brother was on Oahu in May and went out for a day trip fishing. He got to talking about hunting with the guides and they offered to take him goat hunting. He questioned them on it and it turned out to be illegal(at least what they were doing). I'm not sure if you can legally hunt them, but there are deffinately people poaching them.