PDA

View Full Version : The digger

Wolfman
07-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey all.

As many of you know I have a (nearly) six month old Chessie/Goldie cross named Koda. Good lad all around and doing all the puppy things which will be cool when he's outgrown them ;-)

But...he's a digger. Even when he's bagged from a day at the beach or walking or whatever, he'll still come home, play with his toys for a bit and then start digging up the lawn.

Its driving me nuts to be honest. I've had a fair number of dogs in my day, but never a hard core digger like this guy.

Tried that 'yucky' spray on some of the places he digs and that did squat.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wolfman

hillclimber
07-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Hey all.

As many of you know I have a (nearly) six month old Chessie/Goldie cross named Koda. Good lad all around and doing all the puppy things which will be cool when he's outgrown them ;-)

But...he's a digger. Even when he's bagged from a day at the beach or walking or whatever, he'll still come home, play with his toys for a bit and then start digging up the lawn.

Its driving me nuts to be honest. I've had a fair number of dogs in my day, but never a hard core digger like this guy.

Thanks

Wolfman

When i had a german shepherd/border collie she loved to dig. I put tabasco sauce and some cayenne after i would fill in the sopts where she was digging and it decreased her digging becasue she would always smell the spot right before she dug.

It works for some dogs but not all.

300WM
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
throw some of it's shite in the hole before you fill it back up.

ruger#1
07-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Shock collar worked for my dog.

JeffR
07-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Mine had the same problem. Putting shit in the holes helped, as did telling her NO when I caught her. Also made sure she was exercised alot, every day. All those things and time helped calm the problem down. I often though an e-collar would make the process go faster though. Get a vantage spot where they can't see you and give him a correction whenever he starts to dig.

I have also heard that giving them one spot in the yard where they are allowed to dig can be a solution for digging focused breeds that are tough to break of the habit. But for your breed, I would think you could change his behavior.

BlacktailStalker
07-10-2008, 02:35 PM
If you go the E collar route, be sure to have the collar on her WAY before you plan on using it.
Also take it on and off, adjust what side it buckles on etc so she just thinks its routine handling and when the time comes, dont let her realize it was you shocking her (pointing at her with the transmitter) and completely ignore her when it happens.
The key is for her to think there is a "something" that bites her every time she digs and in the end still think you're her friend. You cant be associated in what happened whatsoever.

Jimsue
07-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Dog run from Home Depo $225.00

Concrete slab or 2'x2' pavers $200.00

Knowing where your dog is and not having a back yard that looks like a mine field.......Priceless

Or you could put small flowers in the holes. But seriousley, the dog run is your best bet.

Jimsue
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
I know dogs that wear bark collars every day, and the dogs test them every day to see if they are on, so when you are at home watching pup its all good, but one day soon pup digs under the fence when you are out, then you are looking for a new dog and you have a lightly used trasmitter for sale. Just my oppion.

Rob
07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Trim its nails-really close. Rob

Wolfman
07-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Wow! some interesting stuff. Thanks guys. All worth considering, especially the poop 'n' tabasco coated shock-collar with kung fu grip ;-)

Wolfman

Steeleco
07-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Your not alone, I have a "Rottietiller" myself. She especially likes the newly planted items!!!

I figure it's boredom and lack of diligence on my part. That's why they're called puppies!!

moosinaround
07-10-2008, 07:52 PM
Black pepper! put it in the holes! whaen they sniff it they will sneeze. A big chew toyto amuse them. A giant Kong chew toy filled with a peanut butter or some other flavourful paste frozen them give it to em. Time with them helps too!

islandstalker
07-10-2008, 09:05 PM
have friends that say piss in the holes . shows them your the big dog.

Rob
07-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Is it around a perimeter or just all over the place?

Wolfman
07-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Your not alone, I have a "Rottietiller" myself. She especially likes the newly planted items!!!

I figure it's boredom and lack of diligence on my part. That's why they're called puppies!!

My buddy says that the reason puppies are cute is because otherwise their destructive behaviour would lead to their early demise ;-)

Probably true.

Wolfman

OOBuck
07-14-2008, 07:00 AM
Hey all.

Thanks

Wolfman

tried everything hot sauces, cyanne pepper, nothing works like his own shit!

mfarrally
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Ya cayenne powder is the way i have always delt with it. good luck!