PDA

View Full Version : Paint for Alum Boat?

BeerBaitnAmmo
07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey Guys,
I am repairing an older 17' aluminum boat and intend to use it as a duck/hunting boat. Can anyone advise what types of paint they have had success with on their boats and where I can get it. The color would be olive green (obviously).
Thanks, BBA

SAVAGE300
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
hey home depot has CIL marine oil based paint and they will tint it and its less than 15 bucks a liter should be just fine for what you are doing, I use it to paint just about anything for outside

lip_ripper00
07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
pick up and apply aluminum etching primer first and you should not have a problem with any enamal paint

Ian F.
07-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Cabela's and alike sell Parkers Duck Boat paint, best I have ever used. Sportsmans may have it on their shelves and am not sure if Cabelas will ship it to Canada, I pick it up when I'm down.

Next choice would be Petit or ICI, can't remember the number or descriptions but they both make FLAT paints that work for duck boats.

Keep in mind that with any painting project it's the labour that matters, not the cost of the material you are applying.

Very best,

Ian

Qwa-honn
08-15-2008, 09:26 PM
realise that it may already be to late but you should check out this stuff John Deer makes for farm equipment. It is called Graphite Lubricant it used to be called slick coat. We jut recently put it on the bottom of our fishing boat and know that some guys are using it on the bottom of thier big expensive welded river boats. If they bar thier boat they can push it back off pretty easily. It paints on and takes about a day to cure fully. Once dry when you scrape it it becomes more slick. I think this would be very handy when getting into the shallow areas that we know the birds get into. Just put it on the bottom.

branthunter
09-10-2008, 11:16 AM
On my aluminum boats and punts I use regular red or yellow metal primer out of a hand held spray bomb and for the colour of choice an outdoor latex. It's flat, the range of colour choices is infinite, it cleans up quick and easy, it wears really well, and it's about as cheap and uncomplicated as it gets. For the first paint coat when I built my big 2-man layout I went the aluminum primer route and for some reason the whole job just peeled off in sheets after 2 days. See my gallery for pics (it's the one with the brant decoys in it).

Johnnybear
10-05-2008, 09:25 PM
You should use an etching primer for sure. General Paint sells a product call Metaprime (its green in color) that works great. Krylon sells kits complete with grass etc. stencils for the full camo look. Wash the boat with an aluminum wash first to get any film or residue of anything off first them apply the primer. Once the primer is applied then fill your boots:-D.