PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for grouse

FlyingHigh
07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
how do you folks prepare your grouse? so far, i've just tossed the breast in the pan with some cooking oil, and fried them up. then i dip them in bbq sauce, kind of like french fries. i need more creative ways. ;-) i was thinking grouse fettucinie alfredo. mmmmm...

The Dawg
07-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Try it Chicken Parmesan Style, or Cordon Bleu....yummmmmmmmmm...

I can make a call to someone who will, no doubt, have more delicious recipes .......

ALIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

wolverine
07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Try this one out.

Take two or three grouse breasts and cube them up into bit size pieces.

Give em a shake of seasoned salt and sear them in a pan with a clove of crushed garlic and some olive oil. Once seared take them out of the pan and set them aside.

Dice up a large green pepper and a medium onion. Sautee them in the same pan in olive oil until the onion is clear. Chop a couple of stalks of celery and put them in there too.

Get out your crock pot and put the grouse and the pepper, onion and celery in the pot.

Depending on the size of the crock pot put a two or three cans of cream of celery soup in the pot and mix with water 3:1 . Stir this up really well and add a little freshly ground black pepper to it. Turn the pot on medium and let 'er rock for 4 hours.

When the pot shuts of keep it on warm and boil up a pot of Wild Rice Blend. When the rice is ready turn off the crock pot and let stand for about ten minutes uncovered. (drink some good German white wine while you wait, it only makes it taste better!)
Serve over the wild rice. Asparagus is very good with this and I think Bartell has a way of doing that with bacon. Give it a go. Oh yeah, and you gotta have more of the white wine with it...mmmmm.

Cheers.

spreerider
07-08-2008, 12:04 PM
i like to pound them out into cutletts dip in egg and bread crumbs then panfry with some butter

moosinaround
07-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I take the breast whole, bone in, and make several slits along the length of each side of the breast. Then I season with pepper, season salt, and garlic plus spices. I put it on the BBQ or oven and cook for 10-15 min. when just about cooked I will drizzle it with my fav. BBQ sauce or cooking sauce and finish it off. Take it out and enjoy a nice moist, flavourful, finger lickin good bird! Moosin

newhunterette
07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Specialty Sauteed Grouse Breasts

2 grouse breasts
fresh garlic
Black pepper
7-8 juniper berries
Paprika
Sage
Thyme
Flour
2 cups brandy
Oil-butter (50-50) for frying

Dredge breasts in seasoned flour. Crush the juniper berries and use with other seasonings. Brown garlic in oil and butter and remove. Brown the breasts and add 1 cup of brandy, preheated. Flame the breasts (light the brandy and allow to burn while stirring constantly), being careful of the flames. Cover the skillet and allow the breasts to simmer until done. Do not overcook.
Just before removing meat, add another 2-3 tbsp. of chopped garlic and another juniper berry or two, and saute lightly. Then add more brandy (up to 1 cup) and flame as before. Remove breasts to plate. Degrease the pan if necessary, and boil the pot liquor to reduce. Thicken with seasoned flour, correct the seasoning, and serve with boiled rice to which sauteed mushrooms have been added.

Grouse a la O'range (okay with Orange slices)

4 grouse
4 orange slices, peeled and seeded
4 slices bacon
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 orange peel, grated
2 tbsp. orange juice
1 tsp. lemon juice
Parsley, chopped
Salt
Pepper
Sprinkle grouse inside and out with salt and pepper. Cover breast of each bird with an orange and bacon slice, and fasten with string. Place grouse breast-side up in a baking pan and roast at 350 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Baste frequently with combined butter, orange peel, orange juice, and lemon juice. Remove string and sprinkle birds with parsley. Serve with roasted orange and bacon slices, and baby brussels sprouts.

Grouse and Sour Cream

1 grouse, cut into serving pieces
Flour
Salt
Pepper
1 cup sour cream
3 tbsp. dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup milk

Coat bird with flour; salt and pepper to taste. Brown grouse in hot fat. Combine cream, soup mix, and milk; pour over bird. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. until tender.

Scrumptious Savory Grouse

1 grouse, cut into serving pieces
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
3/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. allspice
3/4 tsp. garlic
1/8 tsp paprika
2 tbsp. margarine

Mix flour, salt, sugar, allspice, garlic, and paprika in a fat bowl or pan. Dip grouse pieces in flour mixture to coat. Brown pieces gently in margarine over low heat, add a small amount of water, cover, and simmer until tender.

Oriental Grouse
1 - 2 grouse
1/2 cup margarine
1 can beef broth
1/2 can water
2 tbsp. flour
1/4 cup margarine
1 tbsp. soy sauce
Onion
Green pepper
Tomato, cut into chunks
Cooked rice, white or wild
Salt
Pepper

Clean and skin grouse. Cut meat from breast and slice into 1/4-inch slices. Brown slices in 1/2 cup butter or margarine. Slice a small onion and add to meat in pan. Brown slowly so butter does not brown or burn. To make sauce, melt margarine in pan, add flour and stir. Add beef broth, water, and soy sauce. Cook until thickened and season as desired. Slice green pepper and onion thinly and add to gravy. Cook slowly until both are tender crisp. Add meat to gravy and add tomato chunks. Cook gently. Serve over hot rice.

FlyingHigh
07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....i'm drooling. :D :D must...find...grouse...

behemoth
07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Grouse Burgers

filet the breast out of the bird (Both halves)
Put a piece of saran wrap over them and pound them down flat.
Marinate with Italian salad dressing (or any oil and vinegar dressing)
BBQ or fry both sides until cooked through.

Top like your favorite chicken burger. (cheese, mayo, hot sauce, guacamole or whatever you like)

3kills
07-09-2008, 10:26 PM
2 grouse 1/2c bacon drippings
2/3c pancake mix 2 onions sliced
1/4 tsp red pepper 1c mushrooms sliced
1/4 tsp curry powder salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp poultry seasoning

cut grouse in small pieces.mix pancake mix with seasonings. roll pieces of meat in it brown in a skillet in the fat. remove grouse. fry mushrooms in same pan. in drippings. place grous and onions in same pan. add enough water ofr wine to cover.

cover and simmer until meat is tender serve with rice

Braised grouse

as many grouse as you have sliced onions
oil for browning meat chunks of carrot
flour for dredgin chunks of potato
water salt and pepper
a few gloves of garlic

skin clean and wash grouse in salt water. cut into peices. roll in flour. salt and pepper to taste. brown meat and place in crockpot . add 1/2 c water and a few whole cloves of garlic. layer with sliced onion and put carrots and potatoes on top. cover and cook for 4 to 6 hours.

B.C.Boy(100%)
07-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Here it is plain and simple, cut yourself a 7"-9" X 12" Alder plank, must be at least 1" thick or better. Board width may vary by size of bird, but needs to be at least 1.5" of plank exposed on either side of bird.

Start fire, once fire is ready for cooking (coal bed) place wet alder plank on fire (level) once embers start to form flip plank over and place Grouse breast on top of the ember-ed plank, now butter it and sprinkle pepper on it, place salt on the breast when it's almost done not at first, you'll dry it out to fast.

Make sure your fire pit has walls higher than the plank and the bird to trap the heat inside.

Add small pieces of alder and alder leaf as cooking continues. You don't want large pieces of wood added to the fire as cook, you'll burn your dinner.

Poke bird with stick or fork from time to time, when clear juice runs from bird your done.

You can also use a Cedar plank if you wish.

Another twist is to all the above, marinate the breast in 100% Pure Papaya juice for no longer than an hour, any longer and it will get mushy, this helps keep the bird tender while cooking, when I do it this way I like to add chili peppers mixed in with the papaya juice from the marinate and brush it on or by baisting the bird (sweet & spicey).

This fall I am going to try a Salal berry chutney stuffed inside the bird.

I prefer cooking 80% of my game meat this way, it just brings out the flavor better than an oven or stove top or even a gas/propane BBQ could ever do.

The only thing that could make this better in my opinion would be if I had a forest of Mesquite around the house.
Cooking steaks over fresh Mesquite is so damn tasty. The packaged stuff just doesn't do it.

steelheadSABO
07-10-2008, 06:24 PM
debone the breast pound them out soak in egg then roll in crunched ritz crackers then fry this is the absolute best way to cook grouse:)

johnes50
07-10-2008, 07:20 PM
A lot of good recipes posted, but I have a problem. All the grouse I've eaten lately have been a bit chewy, to say the least. Any suggestions to make freshly shot grouse more tender?

wolverine
07-10-2008, 07:29 PM
A lot of good recipes posted, but I have a problem. All the grouse I've eaten lately have been a bit chewy, to say the least. Any suggestions to make freshly shot grouse more tender?

Yeah, pound the hell out of 'em or slow cook them in a crock pot.

johnes50
07-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah, pound the hell out of 'em or slow cook them in a crock pot.

That sounds like it'll work.

I brought some nice pork chops to cook at hunting camp last year. We shot a couple of grouse and my retired buddy says he'll make us a nice grouse dinner instead of the pork chops. He spent an hour preparing supper and when he was done we sat around trying to chew on chunks of grouse as tough as shoe leather. Nobody wanted to hurt his feelings, so we all sat there chewing and chewing and chewing. Finally he gets up and grabbed the frying pan and threw his grouse specialty into the campfire. We all turfed our grouse dinner into the campfire after that. We had a late dinner of pork chops that night and a good laugh.

3kills
07-14-2008, 10:05 AM
try aging them for a few days before u eat them...i know some people that even take the grouse whole guts and all through them in the fridge for a few days and then clean them....

jrhunter
07-14-2008, 11:22 AM
I just shake and bake the grouse breasts. When you can shred it with a fork it's done.

huntergirl270
07-14-2008, 11:49 AM
I find grouse cooks the same way lean pork does. If you cook it with a great pork chop or any lean pork recipe it always seems to be moist and tender and comes out great!!!

I like to use a plain old can of mushroom soup :)

First cut up grouse into bite size pieces and brown in pan with seasoning salt and garlic powder and some pepper.
Pour can of mushroom soup over it and simmer for at least thirty min. Add milk or water to keep soup from getting too thick (you want it saucy though)

Pour over boiled egg noodles or rice and its great!!

heyblast
11-02-2013, 10:53 PM
debone the breast pound them out soak in egg then roll in crunched ritz crackers then fry this is the absolute best way to cook grouse:)

This wokred very nicely. Thanks

antileno
11-18-2013, 03:23 PM
I just made a grouse stew and it was awesome. I followed this recipe kinda http://www.hungry-for-hunting.com/grouse-stew.html
I used a slow cooker instead though so i cubed and seasoned my grouse with some salt, pepper, and garlic then browned it off in a frying pan. I also boiled all my hard veggies like carrots, potatoes, and some brocolli just for 10 minutes to soften them up a little. I then put everything in the slow cooker on low for about 5 or 6 hours and man did it dissapear in a hurry! I had never done the homemade cream soup before but it does make a big difference and it wasnt that tough.

Sofa King
11-18-2013, 03:29 PM
i've always cubed mine and made chicken nuggets.

mud-dog27
11-24-2013, 10:17 PM
chop up some grouse chop up some rabbit add a can or two of mushroom soup and cook for a while, seems to get the meat nice and tender, quick and easy.

Could get real fancy and do soup from scratch but as i said above i prefer cans.....cause well its quick and easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55IjwrELgtQ

just-one-shot
11-24-2013, 10:54 PM
Oh man a lot of these sound great. I must find some grouse and try some of these recipes and let the kids try some new type of food.