PDA

View Full Version : Turkey hunting

kamloops killer
07-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Turkey hunting is open on the Okanagan this year no more LEH fore them.
All you need is just your hunting licence and NO tag. Are they becomming a pest down there eating the grapes at the winerys. So this could be fun never hunted turkey before see lots of old crows tho.So there must be some turkey hunters out there how you hunt them on private land I don't know.So lets talk TURKEY ha ha ha.
Thanks Guys

sealevel
07-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Id like to hunt turkeys i`am going to try but i think its a lot harder inthe fall. I have an old friend lives in Winfield he counts turkeys they are more than tripleing in numbers a year so in a couple more years we should have some real got hunting.

Fido
07-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Well I go to Michigan every year to hunt them and they are alot of fun in the spring. They do have good eye sight and are smarter then you think. But after you call one in and it take 30mins or so your heart starts pumping harder then its all worth it. I would be interested in going out for that this fall.

Offroad
07-27-2005, 01:10 PM
I'ld love to go turkey hunting in the Okanagan. Anyone have any suggestions as to where to go? I'm wondering about the area around Ok falls.

sealevel
07-30-2005, 04:42 AM
I did some asking on some forums down south joined wild turkey zone . What i learned is its a lot easyer to hunt them in the spring. You can`t really call them in the fall.

redlegdrake
10-24-2005, 06:18 PM
Hey good old suthern boy with a few trukeys under the belt. If there is anyone that needs help just give me a holla. As I am still unable to hunt up here yet due to paper work. Maybe if someone can hook up a spot, I will do the rest, just bring ya gun.

Ronforca
10-24-2005, 07:31 PM
I have seen several on the road to Mt.Baldy.Just never saw one when I had a gun.They were just running along the side of the road.Tried to get a picture but they stayed in the tall grass.Did not fly away.

ch valley hunter
10-25-2005, 08:51 AM
Where are the turkeys mainly that would be fun hunting.

Ronforca
10-25-2005, 09:12 AM
I saw the Turkeys about a mile above where the pavement ends on the South side of the road that goes from Oliver to Baldy.They were just kind of walking along.When I tried to get their picture they ran away but did not seem to be very frightened, saw them near there twice.Also saw a quite a few in area 8-12 but they are not open now.
I have found that like Ruffed Grouse they seem to like to hang around creeks.:|

mark
10-25-2005, 10:18 AM
dont rush the okanogan for turkeys boys, ive lived here for 8 years and spend ALOT of time outdoors have been huntin lots this year and ive never seen one nor have i heard of anyone seeing one. thats the kelowna area anyhow.

beeker
10-25-2005, 10:49 AM
I have seen some, but not in region 8-9 where they are open.

Ronforca
10-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey Beeker.I have seen several and so have a lot of other people.You live in the wrong part of tha Okanagan.I saw the first one three years ago.They are not real plentiful in area nine yet but just because you have not seen any in the Kelowna area does not mean much down here in tha southern Okanagan.

newguy
10-27-2005, 06:27 AM
i saw two of them in the postill lake area of kelowna three weeks ago. they just crossed the road in front of us and went through a clear cut and into the timber, watching us the whole way.

Rutger
01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Postil is park land, no hunting allowed there??

Caveman
01-08-2009, 08:43 PM
Welcome to the site Rutger, but this thread, in case you didn't notice, is from Oct 2005

mark
01-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Postil is park land, no hunting allowed there??

Not to mention that postil is NOT parkland, tons of people hunt there, and mud-bog!

BEARSLAYER
01-08-2009, 09:54 PM
In 2006 the turkey population was on the rise .As one who spends half my time hunting upland game U can bet your ass I have been keeping an eye on those sweet birds. In 2007 we noticed a decline in numbers in the posill area but still a few were around.I hunted grouse a couple of times when the dogs would put up a gobbler, now that is something to rattle you when they fly. For 2008 Idid not see one bird ,I suspect poachers or coyotes. I am still in a couple of areas on a daily basis picking up garbage and monitering lakes so if I see anything interesting I will post .

Singleshotneeded
02-21-2009, 05:27 PM
:D Just FYI, I picked up a video last week by Primos called "Mastering the Art" of spring turkey hunting, it comes with a mouth call and really teaches the finer points of turkey hunting, and all the strategies. It was only $15, and is well worth it for the novice turkey hunter...

jeepingpw
02-21-2009, 06:09 PM
This winter I have seen over 30 turkeys , but along the Hwy.

One day saw 8 nice ones just north of Beaverdell.
Last week saw a flock of 6 by Bridesville.
Have also saw 8 in Rock Cr.

Things are huge.

First one I ever saw while hunting in Beaverdell about 9 years ago.

A buddy in Westbridge started to breed them & let them loose over 20 years ago. He was taken to court for it, but it was thrown out as they were native to the area.
This fall I also saw a flock of Valtures (spelling?) in Christian Valley

huntwriter
02-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Videos and books are a good way to learn more about turkey hunting and so is spending time in the outdoors and observe the animals.
Another good way, the best, to get new turkey hunters started off on the right foot is to attend a seminar. As look would have it there is a great four hour turkey hunting seminar coming up in Vernon.

Date: March 21, 09.
Admission Fee: $ 25.00
Time: 1pm to 5pm
For more information or to book please contact the President of the Vernon Fish & Game Club at: 250-550-4069 or email at: davepusey@shaw.ca

goatdancer
02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
Turkey hunting is open on the Okanagan this year no more LEH fore them.
All you need is just your hunting licence and NO tag. Are they becomming a pest down there eating the grapes at the winerys. So this could be fun never hunted turkey before see lots of old crows tho.So there must be some turkey hunters out there how you hunt them on private land I don't know.So lets talk TURKEY ha ha ha.
Thanks Guys

Yeh, they're pests that eat the grapes at the wineries. We call them tourists......:biggrin:

Singleshotneeded
03-01-2009, 04:49 PM
:smile: Hey Kamloops Killer, If you decide you like turkey hunting, you might consider buying a 17HMR bolt action with scope. I used the 20 grain Hornady XTP ammo, and a Harris bipod, and took one last year at 150 yards! This lets you get your turkey when you see one, and not risk having to call them in to within 40 yards. Of course, there are times when you want to take the time to call them in close, and it is the more sporting way to go... The 20 gr. XTP bullet expands like a hunting bullet, and doesn't "explode" on contact like the 17 grain polymer tip, so if you shoot a bit low it won't damage the meat as much. Savage has a bolt action in 17HMR called the 93R17XP, and they've done it in a camo finish that would be ideal for hunting turkeys, and even comes equipped with their excellent AccuTrigger, for about $350 or so...:smile:

4_Wheelin'_Wizard
03-01-2009, 10:04 PM
so just to confirm we dont need a tag or anything to hunt turkeys right?

tracker
03-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Not many in the okanagan yet!!! Gotta drive another 4 hrs east to get in good turkey hunting:wink: like I do.....

http://s190.photobucket.com/albums/z78/tracker_07/th_turkey06011.jpg

Singleshotneeded
03-02-2009, 12:41 AM
:smile: Hey 4wheelinwizard, I just wanted to get back to you...all you need to hunt turkeys is your BC hunting licence. They've written in the past two years, in the regs, about tags for turkeys being under consideration, but so far nothing has come of it. With turkeys being kind of rare, still, except from Grand Forks to Creston, maybe they don't see hunters buying $10 turkey tags on the off chance they'll find one. I don't see tags coming out for turkeys until their population is high right through to Keremeos.
How many folks from the GVRD are going to drive to the Kootenays for a 15 pound bird, if they're successful? An elk, well that would fill the deep freezer!:smile:

mark
03-02-2009, 08:51 AM
:smile: Hey Kamloops Killer, If you decide you like turkey hunting, you might consider buying a 17HMR bolt action with scope. I used the 20 grain Hornady XTP ammo, and a Harris bipod, and took one last year at 150 yards! This lets you get your turkey when you see one, and not risk having to call them in to within 40 yards. Of course, there are times when you want to take the time to call them in close, and it is the more sporting way to go... The 20 gr. XTP bullet expands like a hunting bullet, and doesn't "explode" on contact like the 17 grain polymer tip, so if you shoot a bit low it won't damage the meat as much. Savage has a bolt action in 17HMR called the 93R17XP, and they've done it in a camo finish that would be ideal for hunting turkeys, and even comes equipped with their excellent AccuTrigger, for about $350 or so...:smile:

I gotta jump in here, while everything you say is true, I think its very bad advise!!!! Turkey hunting is all about the experience!!!!!!!! I cannot stress that enough! Anybody that jumps out of a truck and dumps a bird on the road or snipes one at 100 yards, has completely wasted their time!
Its not like your filling your freezer, and they dont taste particularly awesome.
Dont sell your opportunity short. When you call a turkey into close range and dump him, its an amazing experience I can only compare to bugling in a rutting bull elk!
Myself, Im 3 for 3 now with shotgun, I plan to kick it up a notch this year and use my bow!
You only get 1 chance in the spring mating season, and its an absolute riot when done rite!! Dont blow it!

Singleshotneeded
03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
:smile: I completely agree, Mark, but the rimfire makes for a great backup while you're learning, and if you haven't called one in close by the end of the weekend... You have the option of calling one into view, and then sniping it at long range. It really is fun to call them into shotgun range, though! By the way, Mark, I've roasted a couple of them and they were delicious, I'll send you the recipe if you like...

huntwriter
03-02-2009, 08:18 PM
You’re like me Mark in that you go for wall hanger gobbler. :-D Big mature toms do not taste very nice. If it’s for the freezer go after a jake they are tender and way delicious.:smile:

You're right calling a big tom in close is a thrill. As you know I have been hunting these birds for over 15 years and it still is as much fun as the first day. I can't wait to get all the seminars done and then head out to do some scouting.:smile: Gobble, gobble here I come.

Singleshotneeded
03-03-2009, 01:12 AM
:smile: Just wanted to recommend a turkey call, it's the Lohman Psycho
Turkey Call, and it's a slate call with a push button built in. You can
make a full range of turkey sounds, and when you cutt with the slate it sounds different than with the push button, so it sounds like two different turkeys... The other good thing about it is that you can get pretty loud
when you want, or go for the subtle approach. Excellent product!

mark
03-03-2009, 09:39 AM
:smile: I completely agree, Mark, but the rimfire makes for a great backup while you're learning, and if you haven't called one in close by the end of the weekend... You have the option of calling one into view, and then sniping it at long range. It really is fun to call them into shotgun range, though! By the way, Mark, I've roasted a couple of them and they were delicious, I'll send you the recipe if you like...

I suppose you have a point, I just wanted to make mine also, especially as most people are just getting into the sport!
I crockpoted my jake last year and it was awesome, but Id certainly be open to a new recipe idea!

Marley420
03-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Good evening I am heading that way on opening day any further hints would be greatly appreciated.

Singleshotneeded
03-31-2009, 01:29 PM
:grin: Hey Marley, Just know that the serious turkey numbers begin in Grand Forks and further east, and that it's best to be out at the crack of dawn so you can blow your owl or crow call and locate the buggers by their shock gobbling whilst they're still in the tree.

WesternCanuk
04-07-2009, 05:38 AM
Hello all. I'm very new to hunting Turkey and would really appreciate a few helpful hints from the guys that are more experienced. I've got 5 days to hunt. this is my first trip out. I've watched the video's i've purchase and practice my calls as well as my predator calls. Now the directions of Grand Forks and east is a huge chunk of land. can anyone narrow it down just a bit more for me. Any help for a new hunter would be great. thanks everyone.

Singleshotneeded
04-08-2009, 12:57 AM
:smile: Hey WesternCanuk, The roads east of Grand Forks that run near streams are a good place to call at dawn and find flocks. Turkeys
don't get that far away from a water source, just check your mapbook and find some...

WesternCanuk
04-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Great advice thank you sir.

Singleshotneeded
04-09-2009, 11:50 PM
:D You're welcome, see you out there...if you spot a tom...terminate it!:D

hannibal
04-10-2009, 11:29 PM
any you guys ever bowhunt a turkey? What broadhead, or are you using one of them fancy neck cutting tips?

ABDUKNUT
04-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Any broadhead will work on turkeys- Just make a good shot and hit the vitals. Expanding blades work well and are very popular. If you decide to bowhunt, a blind is essential and it must be positioned in a well scouted location to be effective. You wont have much mobility with a blind, which I don't like, and thus don't bowhunt them.

huntwriter
04-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Bowhunting turkeys is one of the toughest challenges a hunter can undertake. Turkeys have the eyesight equal to that of an eagle. The advice from ABDUKNUT is good. In addition lower the draw weight of your bow to 40 pounds or lower so you can hold the string back for a long time. Even with a blind you want to draw the bow BEFORE the bird can see you.

When I ask bowhunters on my turkey hunting seminars, “What is the best shot” they all say, “pass-through shot”. Perfect for all game but big mistake for turkeys! On a turkey you want the arrow to stick in the bird to prevent it from flying away. To achieve that put a washer or spider legs (grabbers) immediately behind the broadhead. You also can use traditional cut on impact broadheads and cut the tip off.

A turkey that flies away after been hit by an arrow will NEVER be found. When I used to guide turkey hunters this was my number one rule and we would not leave camp until the arrow was fixed up with a penetration-preventing device of some sort.

In addition to all that, take short shots, no more than 30 yards preferably closer. Turkeys can see the arrow in flight and duck faster then we can blink an eye. For more turkey bowhunting tips and tactics you can read some articels on my main website and on my turkey hunting website or ask me here. Glad to help you any way I can. :)

Good luck.