PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to learn how to butcher and make meat products.

BiG Boar
07-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey guys,
I am going after some sweet LEH's this year and want to learn how to butcher really well, including de boning in the field, and cutting and wrapping at home. Also making sausages, peperoni, jerky, and the like.

My questions are what kind of dvd's can people suggest?

Is there any short coruses on doing this professionally in the lower mainland?

Or is there anyone who really knows what they're doing that does this kind of stuff that needs some extra help in doing up an animal or two?

Let me know, Dave

Spuddge
07-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Check out Reliable Gun in Vancouver, they have a DVD that walks you through the whole process from field dressing to deboning and even sausage making.

Mr. Dean
07-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Its called Deer Processing 101 - Can be had in Langley also @ SSS
Great tool for ~ $20

BCLongshot
07-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Watch a Hannibal movie.

holmes76
07-05-2008, 11:27 AM
deer processing 101 is available at our local public library. maybe yours too?

Steeleco
07-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I also have "Wild game processing" Volume 1 "Sausage" got mine to $18.00

covers everything you'll need except the practice!!!

BCKID
07-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Check out this link, I've done this a few times and it works great. BCKID

http://ces.uwyo.edu/PUBS/B884R.PDF

Steeleco
07-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Forgot to add, Elkhound put me onto the "Jerky press" that's sold at Princess Auto. The thing works like a charm. Take a pound of ground, add the seasonings and fill the tube. Works like a sealant gun. Then dehydrate or cure in the oven.

Got my second batch in the shop curing as we speak!!

If you want to stop by one time, I'll show you my set up.

FlyingHigh
07-07-2008, 11:11 AM
great tips there guys. i also have the Deer Processing 101 DVD. it's excellent. i've watched it a few times. i'll probably watch it another couple times before i go out this season.

Mr. Dean
07-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Another good tip for the do-it-yourself butcher. Take a food safe course. They're cheap and hold excellent content/information.

brotherjack
07-07-2008, 11:32 AM
And whatever you do, don't be intimidated. It's just a big deer/elk/moose/whatever size/shape piece of meat. All you're doing is cutting it up into smaller steak/roast/stirfry size/shape pieces of meat so you can more easily eat it. It's that simple, really. :)

BiG Boar
07-08-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the info so far guys! I will be picking up deer proicessing 101. After reading some of the threads on this topic so far, I am concerned as to the time processing an elk or moose will take.

Steeleco
07-08-2008, 08:33 AM
My biggest concern with large game is keeping it cool long enough. But I'm working on that!!!

And remember, the worst you can do is end up with tons of GROUND!!!!!

Mr. Dean
07-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the info so far guys! I will be picking up deer proicessing 101. After reading some of the threads on this topic so far, I am concerned as to the time processing an elk or moose will take.

De-boned, its little challenge to store/age an entire animal in an emptied beer-fridge or two. Plan for a weekend of cutting and wrapping. Chances are it should only take a day from start to finish, depending on helpers and pickyness.

3kills
07-14-2008, 10:09 AM
when i do my deer up it takes me usually from start to finish 2 hours or there about (depends on how many breaks i take and how much beer we are drinkin) and i m a meat cutter so for some one doin it for the first time u can look at takin a while to do especaily doin a moose...i havent done a moose myself so not sure how long it would take me i m guess maybe 4 or 5 hours....

huntwriter
07-14-2008, 03:38 PM
As pointed out by 3kills, butchering and cutting a large game animal can be a pretty daunting task for someone that never did it before. I am a professional butcher too and it takes me about a half hour to butcher a beef (equal to large moose) from the moment it drops dead till it’s a split carcass. And that is using machines and professional slaughter line.

Deboning from start to finish packing can take as much as three hours depending on how many meat cuts and products I make.

If you never have butchered and cut a game animal I strongly suggest to do some reading and watching first. Cabela’s sells some excellent books and videos on field dressing, butchering and cutting under field conditions. Above all take your time and use proper tools such as sharp butcher knives and proper bone saw. Chainsaws, axes and hunting or Swiss Army knives are not what you want to use to butcher game animals.

Here are two tips to ensure that you arrive at home with top quality meat.

After the shot and field dressing (gutting) hang the carcass to cool out and drip in a shady cool place should you not return home immediately or have a long drive home. A whole warm carcass tends to heat up if loaded warm.

If you cut the meat up in the field and transport it in portions home head to the nearest gas station first and purchase plenty of ice packs. Layer the meat in Rubbermaid boxes with ice packs in between. This will keep the meat cool until you’re home. Do NOT wrap the meat in plastic bags as this will heat up the meat regardless of the added ice if the meat has not completely cooled down.

And finally work clean use plenty of fresh water to rinse the carcass down inside and out and wash your hands frequently between the different tasks of butchering.

Good luck and have fun.

3kills
07-14-2008, 04:36 PM
if ur out in the bush and its warm and u have a cooler of food with ya take the ice out and prop the rib cage open and stick the ice in there to cool it out...then get to a cooler asap

Bpower
07-14-2008, 06:40 PM
If making sausage is something you are interested in I would suggest practicing with some basic small batches on pork or beef.

Costco sells ground pork cheaper than you can buy pork from a butcher that still needs to be ground.

Stuffers in Langley sells a good variety of casings and seasonings. Try using the synthetic casings if it your first time instead of natural hog casings. There can be a lot of frustration involved with untangling, rinsing and trying to get those slippery casings onto the stuffing horn. The synthetic (actually are made of natural materials) are more expensive but they help with the learning curve.

Stuffers has some recipes online and I have tried a version of the Bratwurst that turned out quite well.

I have a simple stuffer attachment for a Kitchen-aid Mixer. It is slow but does a decent job. I wouldn't want to make more than 20-30lbs at a time with it though. Definatly at least a two person job and you need to keep the meat cold or else it turns into a sticky mess.

huntwriter
07-14-2008, 06:55 PM
Stuffers has some recipes online and I have tried a version of the Bratwurst that turned out quite well.

I am glad you like the Bratwurst recipes on Stuffers website. I gave them to Bill from my personal family recipe book handed down through three generations.:smile:

martyonthewater
07-14-2008, 07:39 PM
lotsa good info so far , good thread! In the 3 carcases I've butchered at home I've found it to be a pretty busy day of cutting, CLEANING, wrapping and clean-up.
Electric grinders are gifts from god

Flingin' Sticks
08-27-2008, 07:00 PM
A moose-sized animal will take you a good chunk of a day to do, even with many hands.

If you can find someone who does it, try tagging along for a couple of rounds of butchering. I learned by hands on over the past couple years, and finally am confident to try it on my own. it's not as hard as you may think, but it does take some time and a good sharp knife.

srupp
08-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Dave I took a butchering course many years ago @ college...and 6 years ago took an intensive sausage making course from a sausage maker who was moving to Mexico and retireing..

When you are up here we can talk...

I do all my own..and make German breakfast sausage, smokies although I would like a second smokie recipee...beer sausage, summer sausage,garlic sausage,pepperoni ,

The ONLY recipe I dont have or like so far.... is BRATWURST...:shock:

cheers

Steven

Leaseman
08-28-2008, 06:36 AM
Steven... you are making me hungry.....:roll:

Those smokies that you gave Nick and me where soooo good.....:wink: