PDA

View Full Version : GHG Hot Buy Geese

longshot
07-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I have been looking for a dozen goose decoys for a while know and have looked at so many different types, including Carry Lite's, Real Geese, Wigdon, GHG and Flambeau. I really like the GHG Hot Buy Canada Goose Shells for there apperance and the ability to stack. My son likes them too. And I really like their price.:smile: What do you guys think about these decoys?

Thanks,

Longshot

Crazy_Farmer
07-03-2008, 07:57 PM
We've used Flambeau, Final Approach and GHG shells, they'll all the get the job done fine, GHG has a very good name out there for themselves, with quality products for the price and also customer service. We dont much use them anymore for goose hunting, mainly just run ghgs duck floaters but we still have 2 dz real geese silos in the trailer, if you ever need to fill in the spread a bit. We still have a dz oversize ghg shells that we used alot last season in front of the blinds to fill in the area.

Dale
07-03-2008, 08:42 PM
where can you get the ghg decoys??

Qwa-honn
07-04-2008, 10:07 AM
If I were you I would check out www.canadianwaterfowlersproshop.com (http://www.canadianwaterfowlersproshop.com)
I do most of my buisness them and they carry just about everything that a person could want. I know that they have pretty much the whole line that GHG makes.

HuntNHookSports
07-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Shells are nice for filling in a big spread. But in a small spread 4 full body decoys are far more effective than 12 shells... and about the same price. I hunt the same areas as Longshot Jr and Sr so my advice would be to buy 4 full bodies at a time until you have at least a dozen and then pick up some shells.
Last year I was running 36 shells and every time the geese would go straight to my partners spread of 9 full bodies.
This year I will be using GHG full bodies that I bought from Crazy Farmer and his brother (good people). The shells will be on the shelf until we go to AB where we will using about 10 dozen decoys.

These are the shells. Notice the single in the bag.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/HuntNHookSports/Hunting%2007/PF030908.jpg

Now my partners Flambeau full bodies. Proof is in the pudding here.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/HuntNHookSports/Hunting%2007/PF030508.jpg

And the new starting line-up. IMP the GHG's are far more realistic looking than the Flambeau's.
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/HuntNHookSports/Hunting%2007/NewTeam.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
07-04-2008, 02:07 PM
That new spread looks great!! The setup on the dock.....you must be hunting the feared tame park goose or something...:-P Pleasure doing business with you too.

fowl language
07-04-2008, 04:27 PM
i have had about all the decoys theyve ever made and setted on 14 doz. full body ghg. 6doz. big foots . 6 doz. silos and 6 doz. ghg shells. these are used in severe different combos in several different situations. sometime we only put out 14 or 15 and other times we use them all. i guess if you what to spend 70 bucks a bird you could have dave smith decoys but i figure by the time they get close enough to find out they arent dave smiths its to late. see if you can ask a few guides what they use and you will be suprized as to what they use, i found it was ghg predominate,but hey its just my 2 cents. no offence to the dave smith boys its just i cant afford them and often i like numbers,just my theory....fowl

mattchu_19
07-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Now heres a thread that has been beaten to death on all the big goose forums, "Do you need customs to kill geese". No you dont, but what you do need is what ever works in your area, plain and simple, and being on the X helps too. Talk to the guides in Alberta and Sask and they will say all you need are Realgeese silos to kill geese all day long. The guys from the Eastern Shores of Maryland put out 30 dozen FBs due to the high pressure and hunting leases. And ask any guide and hardcore hunter from Washington, Oregon or California and they will say DSDs, Dropzones and stuffers, due to all the weary lessers and residents that have seen every spread possible. Where I hunt geese we have alot of lessers and geese that stay in the same area for a few weeks, so we have found that 3 dozen DSDs work way better then 10 dozen mixed decoys. I would rather set out 3 dozen of the most realistic decoys and spend my time hiding our layouts like ninjas, but hey thats just me. I've had geese land 2 feet away from our blinds and walk around the DSDs like they were real geese, and to see that is amazing. I always liked the saying that one of the DSDs staffer posted on another forum "you've already killed the goose by landing them in the decoys, shooting them just confirms it".

longshot
07-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Thanks for all the info guys !:smile: it has really helped me out and i appreciate it.

Thanks, Longshot

longshot
07-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Well, I got my son 1 doz. GHG hot buy geese, and I got them from Canadian Waterfowlers Pro Shop. I loved doing buisness with them. I also got and echo timber call. Sounds great. After my son listining for months trying to figure out which call he likes by listening to them online, he liked the RNT Quackhead Timber Call. Sounds great aswell. I also got him a 12 slot duck decoy bag from avery to hold the hot buy ducks. Now my 14 year old son is set for hunting for a long time. (Until he makes a another list that is) :razz:

Longshot

Crazy_Farmer
07-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Sounds good! Looks like your all ready for another season coming up. Those 12 slots make life a lot easier packing in and out of places, no tangled up line or weights, easy on the shoulder for long distances. We've dealt alot with Jason and he's a great guy to do buisness with.

longshot
07-25-2008, 09:04 PM
I think from now on, I am just going to deal with Jason and no one else. He really is a great guy. He even gave my son a free duck calling program. It is called Duck Calling A-Z, by Carlson Championship Calls. He is getting pretty good.