PDA

View Full Version : Quail hunting

riflebuilder
07-02-2008, 04:56 AM
I was driving through Grand Forks and saw aome mountain quail along the hiway. Does anyone here have any info on hunting them here and any good spot? Our would they take a guy out hunting them. I have a great little Wire Hair and I want to try her out on these birds they look like fun. I have a motel in the EK and would trade Elk or turkey hunting.

switchback
07-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Can,t help you on the Quail. But I also have a great wire hair.

Mr. Friendly
07-04-2008, 04:44 PM
well, I just looked in the Synopsis and the BC CORE manual and the Synopsis doesn't have anything mentioned about Quail hunting, but the CORE manual states there is NO open season on Mountain Quail.

riflebuilder
07-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Mountain quail are closed on the Island but the quail in region 5 are open. If anyone wants to get together and chase some a round lets put it together.

threedhunter
07-04-2008, 05:06 PM
just for ident purposes, did the quil have 1 or 2 feathes on top of thier heads?just askin cuz mountain quail only are found on van isle.
california quail are common in the west koots as well as here in ok valley.
there is a season on them but most times they are found around domestic feed areas.(farms and homes) due to better feed.seasons are oct 1 to nov 30,10(30) in reg 8:D

riflebuilder
07-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Just one feather knot on their heads. Are they california Quail? All I have hunted before is Bobwhites in the US.

Sasquatch
07-04-2008, 11:46 PM
I'd sure be interested in a quail hunt. Just let me know where and when.

riflebuilder
07-05-2008, 06:39 AM
is Sasquatch a male? He is a good looking dog. I think the season opens in October, does anyone know of any places that we could go?

slyfox
07-05-2008, 07:50 AM
i hunt quail in reg 8 riflebuilder there cal quail in the grandforks area ill be home sunday and ill give you some info were to go slyfox look in my gallery i have some pictures of the quail and pheasant in reg 8.

palmer
07-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Lots of California Quail in GF. I have three German Shorthairs and hunt Quail,Pheasants and Huns. The main problem for out of towners in most of the birds(99%) are on private land. I will be doing on scouting in Sept, so if you PM me before the season opens I will pass on some Crown land spots. Should be a great season, birds wintered well.

Keith

riflebuilder
07-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Any info would be great. I used to live in southern AB and did a lot of Pheasant and Hun hunting there. If anyone here wants to go there and hunt upland and geese I can arrange it. I have 4 or 5 dozen decoys somewhere and lots of good spots to hunt geese.

Mr. Friendly
07-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I know I'd like to do bird hunting...but a query. looking through the synopsis, all I see is an open season on quail in region 8 (Okanagan), but I saw mention of someone hunting in region 5. what's the story there?

riflebuilder
07-14-2008, 09:00 PM
So who is up for opening weekend for a HBC quail hunt? Good dogs lots of birds and lead equals a great time.

07-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Is Dick Cheney invited?

rishu_pepper
07-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Is Dick Cheney invited?

Count me out! :eek:

So who is up for opening weekend for a HBC quail hunt? Good dogs lots of birds and lead equals a great time.

Nah just kidding, count me in! I'd love to give the O/U some action.

riflebuilder
07-17-2008, 05:28 AM
Anyone who is interested lets get a list together and pick a spot to meet.

Ian F.
07-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Happy to join in and contribute in any way I can

Ian

1/2 slam
07-18-2008, 08:46 PM

My dog and I are in:smile:

Timber-hunt
07-20-2008, 10:03 AM
I used to hunt in reg 8 since I was a kid but there so much contruction going on every year there is less crown land more vinyards and more farm land with pest control being used ,Oliver and Osoyoos use to be great for phesants chuckers ,quail last year few of us went up there ,kept geting kick out off crown land because some one lease it of the goverment ,this year few of us are going to Alberta for the birds any one every been out that way? got my gps from a breeder out there and they told me to give it a try lots of birds out that way

riflebuilder
07-20-2008, 08:29 PM
Alberta has great upland bird hunting I grew up hunting Pheasants and Huns in southern AB. BC has better biggame hunting except for Big Whitetails. I would be willing to put anyone in contact with a few guys I know for birds in southern AB.

Timber-hunt
07-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks riflebuider I will take you up on the offer ,have you been to Brooks Alberta? I know they have release sight there for hunting ,few friends of mine went there last year they had a blast .My wife and I were thinking of trying it out this year I got her hooked on it lol the shooting part ,not the killing yet but she will eat them .Out of all the L.E.H draws we put in, 10 in total she got a draw for a white tail doe in mu 801 , never seen white tail up there ,so I told her we will bring some white paint up there to paint thier butts ,she didnt think that was funny .Hunting in Aberta all you need it a win card,but big game is different you need to have a guide or know some one there ,thanks again riflebulder

riflebuilder
08-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Just to recomfirm Opening weekend for the HBC quail hunt. RSVP by PM.

rishu_pepper
08-06-2008, 11:09 AM
Check your PM

1/2 slam
08-06-2008, 07:38 PM
PM sent...:razz:

Springer
09-26-2008, 01:35 PM
That answers my question about what kind of Quail i saw at Christina Lake this year Palmer. They were up on the hillside residential area where my In-Laws have a summer place.

Timber-Hunt there are lots of BC residents that come here to Hunt the Brooks area. Apparently if you have been coming over for years a Salmon or two will help smooze ya'all into some permission to hunt .
However theres lots of Open area for everyone in Southern AB to have some Upland Fun.

FLHTCUI
10-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Is Dick Cheney invited?
Now That's funny !!!!
Hmm, must call work and see if they will let me go and play...
Be safe and have fun.
Rob