PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Scopes?

shoot to kill
07-17-2005, 05:11 PM
I am interested in purchasing a Leupold scope for my gun. I am looking for something that will be used for hunting many different critter such as: bear, moose, elk, deer, and goat. Out of any of the Leupold scopes made I was wondering what you guys out there would purchase? I am not gonna say which ones I have looked at, I want to see what you recommend. Lets also say that price is not an issue. :D

sniperontheridge
07-17-2005, 05:27 PM
i personally would go for the 6x42 fixed modelfor hunting.lots of these in other brands to take a look at.

07-17-2005, 05:44 PM
l wouldn'thttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif ..........If a general scope is what your after, l would go with a bushnell elite 4200 - 2.5x10. Having said that, l own at least a dozen leupolds ranging from a few 6.5X20's (on target and long range rigs) down to a 2.5x7(? l thinkhttp://huntingbc.ca/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif ) on the low power end, with some in between. If your determined its going to say leupold, the 3x9 is a good all round scope, more then good enough for general hunting purposes, but l personally think the bushnells 4200 series offer better value and brighter optics......

tomigunz
07-17-2005, 06:47 PM
I Just Bought A Leupold 4.5-14-40mm Boone And Crocket, Im Really Happy With It, And Cant Really Think Of A Better Scope To Buy. Check It Out It Has 2,3,4,5 Hundred Yard Crosshairs.

Noname
07-18-2005, 12:37 AM
If price is not an object get a Swaro they are by far the best with out question. If not the LPS modles are good and the only thing better than the boone and crocket reticle are the TDS 4's.price is

youngfellla
07-19-2005, 12:00 AM
I bought a bushnell elite 3200 3-9x40 last fall and have been very impressed with it. The rainguard coating is awesome. Good price at around $330. When I first bought it I didn't like the thick crosshairs, but I am used to it now.

ringo
07-19-2005, 09:49 AM
The most common big-game hunting Leupold's are 4x, 6x, and 3x9's. Most 3x9'ers, if they answer honestly, don't take their power ring past 6x when hunting. My 3x9's are set at 5x, observing this fact, I experimented with 4x and 6x. I figured a fixed power scope has fewer moving parts to go wrong (even though Leupold has a lifetime warrantee) so my current favourite is the 6x36. I found under certain light conditions the 4x was limited at 150yds on deer. The Bushnell 3200 is getting rave reviews by virtue of price, rainguard, and warrantee.

elkster
07-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I'm using a leupold 3x9 vx11. It's a great scope, nice and bright. My other scope is a bushnell 3200, Hey its good too. JUst look through them all and pick one that feels right for your eyes. my 2c

kutenay
07-20-2005, 03:34 PM
I have quite a few scopes including Leupolds, Bushnells of several models, Zeiss (West German), Redfield and whatnot; I have shot with about everything over the years. If, I had to pick one big game scope for all my B.C. hunting, it would be the VX-III 1.75-6HD and I prefer this to everything else, including my 1.5-6 LPS.

In nearly forty years of Leupy use, I have had exactly ONE go a bit wonkt and they fixed it for free; it is now 31 yrs. old and is my backup scope for my .375 H&H. I have had about 30 Leupy scopes and consider them to be the best hunting rifle sights on the current market.

I also have one of their spotting scopes which I bought in 1990, after breaking my B&L in two pieces by bouncing it off a rock and I have tried their binos. I consider the B&L Elite to be a much better spotter and wouldn't own their binos as they do not begin to compare to my Zeiss Nato model or Leica Trinovids. But, I seriously doubt that I will ever buy anything other than a Leupy big game hunting scope again.

cmfic1
08-18-2005, 10:24 PM
here, here to kutenay...I too would never have any other American made scope, other than a Leupold. The new B+L scopes may have what appear to be good optics, but lets give them a few years before we start comparing. I know that before about 3 years ago, you couldnt pay me to put a Bushnell made scope, (or any optics for that matter) in my possesion. I have already heard a tale of a friend who had an Elite rifle scope "screw up" on him, and B+L are already giving him the run-around, on what is covered and whats not...I have sent 2 Leupold scopes in , for stuff that I have done (dropping, falling over) and there was no questions asked, it was fixed, and they even sent back the money it cost to get it to Beaverton... So when I hear of another (American made) company that offers the product, and the warranty (if needed), that can compare to Leupold, only then will I be able to say, go ahead and give so and so a try!!!

ruger#1
08-18-2005, 10:33 PM
all i can say is i love my b&l it is a fine scope 30 mil tube 1.5 x 6 power, and a europeon rectical had it for about five years, hasnt failed me yet.

gpoole
10-02-2005, 09:52 AM
Leupold makes you pay for 2 scopes when you are only buying one. Must be a good idea. Everyone thinks they are getting some kind of "free" lifetime warranty!

timberhunter
10-03-2005, 07:29 AM
S.I.R. mailorder has the rifleman V1 3-9 leopould on for $299. Can't beat that price for quality out of any other scope in my opinion. I'm going to put one on my 7mm08. I've had the same VX2 3-9 since I was 13, I'm 33 now. And its been on both my 300 win mags, thousands and thousands of rounds and too many hunts to even begin to count. I sent it away to get serviced once and had it back the same week. You just can't beat them.

I own a pair of bushnell binos, the 10x42 trophys, and I love them. But it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy a bushnell scope for sure. I've gotten a few on gun deals and they come right off and something different goes on.

My opinion anyways
Marc S.

9.3x62
11-06-2005, 11:38 AM
I am only aware of 2 scopes which are serviced in Canada:Bushnell and Leupold of which I have never had or heard of a complaint with Leupold. Getting your scope back and forth from US or Europe could be a problem, anyone experience difficulties, particularily from US? Not all Euro scopes on the internet have North American warranties, I believe you can check with NA distributors by serial #>

true north
11-12-2005, 09:16 PM
[quote=gpoole

Tarp Man
11-12-2005, 10:01 PM
I bought a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 this past spring. Now it has been on my 30.06 since. The cross hairs appear to be not exactly at right angles in the sight picture. Should I send it to Bushnell directly or deal with the store I bought it from (Reliable Guns)? It has not had any impacts, and I've put 7 boxes of ammo through it.
-Tarp Man

maddawg
11-13-2005, 08:08 AM
I agree you cant lose with Leupold - I have one on my 06 and a pair of their bino's - very nice optics. This year I put a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 on my Tikka .270wsm and have being fairly impressed - nice FOV, solid feeling scope, good warranty and decent cost.

Fred
11-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Tarp man, the last time I had an issue with a Bushnell scope I found out through the service phone numbers that there is a local repair depot. That was quite a while back though. If you have problems with serviceing on the phone go to www.davewatson.com (http://www.davewatson.com) then to the message board. Go into the optics section and post a query to either Diana or Chris and they will take care of you. Both of them are top notch factory reps. Fred

blaker_99
01-02-2006, 11:45 PM
Just adding to the information you already have gathered up from other shooters/hunters. My entire family along with myself have been sing Leupold scopes since day 1. They offer an unbelievable warrenty. For instance, my fathers 22 year old Leupold scope just had it's first glitch,problem. The cross hairs were slightly off but he sent it directly to the Leupold repair centre here in canada and in less than 3 weeks he had it back free of charge and completely refurbished. This is why we enjoy doing business with such an amazing company. I am using a Leupold VX-3 3.510x50mm standard duplex on my Browning A-Bolt 7mm WSM and this will be my primary gun for taking whtetails all the way upto bears, sheep, goat, even elk. Good luck.

FullDraw
01-11-2006, 12:02 AM
I have a leupold 3x9 50mm vxll on my 300 winmag it's been a great scope works 1st class in low light conditions and it's never come out of adjustment.

REDGREEN
01-11-2006, 05:04 AM
I was also a leupold fanatic. I still have a 3-9x50 target on my 22, and I have a 5-15 x 50 elite on my Weatherby. Sold a whack of 3x9 vari x to friends.I'm up in the air as to what I'm going to put on my 45 70 and my other 270 Weatherby. I find that the sight picture on the elite is much clearer than the leupolds are.I'm thinking about a black diamond.

death-junky
01-13-2006, 07:04 PM
what is the diffrence between the VX1 VX 2 and the VX3 im also looking at one.
talk to ya all later
Riley

todbartell
01-13-2006, 07:28 PM
check their website

http://www.leupold.com/products/scopes.asp

Sparky
01-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Thought I better throw my two cents worth in. Although I don't usually agree with the group I have leupolds on every weapon (rifles) I own and after abusing them for years and thousands of rounds I have never had a single complaint. I will always stick with that kind of reliability.

However that Zeiss with the 73mm Objective lense may be interesting!http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

tooty
01-31-2006, 08:49 PM
I have a Bausch & Lomb elite 3000 3x9 40 mm on my Sako.Just awsome.

dirtyharry
03-01-2006, 06:36 PM
If price is a consideration the new rifleman is a good scope. If not the VXIII 3.5-10x40 is great. I use that on my .338 no problem.

My brother in law inhereted a Leupold from his grandfather that had been in a fire. The windage and elevation were seized and it was pretty banged up. He sent it in to the service guy in Okotoks and it came back looking like a brand new scope. I think the only thing they reused were the optics. When they say warranty they mean it! Not like some other companys that try and blame you for abuse.
The only other company with a waranty as good as leupold is Zippo.

You get what you pay for.

Rob

Johnnybear
03-02-2006, 07:03 PM
I've never had a problem with my Leupold VX1's (three of them) and I've heard if you do have a problem they fix it no problem or just give you a new scope no questions asked. I have heard of some guys getting the run around and hassles from other scope manufacturer's when they have problems. I've heard about peoples problems with their Leupold's but I suspect their few and far between and I personally think they make great products. I'd like to get one of their new range finders they look great and good pricing too!