PDA

View Full Version : Dog breed ?

Deadeye
06-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Ok...first off I checked the forum guidelines and, while many of my posts cling white-knuckled to rule #1, I think this one's gonna be ok.

I'm curious to figure out my (SPCA) dog's breed. She was described as a Shepherd cross. They thought (she was 4 weeks old) the cross was malamute because a previous litter were shep/malamute.

They had one of malamutes from that litter there at the time as well... Let's just say the SPCA did a good thing: it was confirmed when I met the owners a couple years later after they recognized my dog on the front step...woulda shoulda wanted ta...

Anyway, she's not much bigger than a beagle...about half the size of her mom, so not malamute. The only other significant differences from the mom are the tail, squarer snout and straighter back.

I thought about akita because the undercoat on her flanks is the right texture (and the tail...) but then there's the size thing again.

So what do you think is in there ?
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/BlackJackFlint/Dog/00530001.jpg

Chuck
06-26-2008, 09:39 PM
I see Norwegian Elkhound and German Shepherd. Handsome dog!

The Dawg
06-26-2008, 09:48 PM
I see German Shepherd for sure, and possibly Husky. Whatever it is, he is sure a goodlooking dog!

Sako 300 win mag
06-26-2008, 09:59 PM
I agree with noah dog German Shepherd/Husky

shotgunjohn
06-26-2008, 10:05 PM
The tail and posture as well as the size look like norwegian elkhound to me.

Paulyman
06-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Sheppard husky cross???

Barracuda
06-26-2008, 10:12 PM
elchhound / sheperd cross .

Mr. Dean
06-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Its a good looker, whatever it is.

aspo
06-27-2008, 12:09 AM
it looks like it might have some greenland in it. Not a very common breed though

Deadeye
06-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies and the compliments. I've been thinking elkhound as well, but I wanted to hear what else came up. The Greenland is interesting (had to look it up). As to it not being very common - I didn't think elkhounds were either, hence this thread lol.

The sire would have been a stray or a neighbour's dog, so it could be pretty much anything. The mom was tied up and guarding a grow show, so as you can imagine she wasn't very well cared for. In fact, her 'owners' moved while she was about to give birth.
She'd denned herself into the roots of a tree on the property and, rather than look after her they just moved anyway. The SPCA got wind of it and rounded them up. She hadn't been socialized at all and I was concerned that she wouldn't find a home, but recently I saw her and her new owner at the beach. He's been working with her a lot and she's really come around - I wouldn't say she's friendly, but she doesn't bark and charge you anymore. I've had mine since 8 weeks (she's 4 years now) so there's been no behavioural stuff with her, just the normal training.

island grown
08-15-2008, 08:30 PM
i agree, looks like an elk hound/sheperd. my family is from norway and i love these dogs.
if anyone is interested, look up the norwegian lundahund. very cool animal.

Elkhound
08-16-2008, 09:51 AM
Well I for one would bet money thats an elkhound/GS cross. For sure. That whols shorter body shape is complete elkhound.

I will find a pic later of mine and almost identical form and posture

Rusty
08-16-2008, 11:01 AM
Sheppard Husky cross is my vote

springpin
08-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Aikita/SHepherd cross...maybe.