PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinders

youngfellla
07-16-2005, 09:10 PM
How many of you hunt with a rangefinder? I just started using one last fall. Seems to be very helpful, especially for those long shots across water

Steeleco
07-16-2005, 09:56 PM
I've got a entry level busnell that I use, but seldom when hunting. Once I get into a new area I zap a few landmarks, make a mental note and put it away. Mostly though It's use when scouting in summer. It has made me a better judge of distance though.

Fred
07-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Dave Watson gifted me a Bushnell Legend good to 935 yds(supposedly) and I have showed it around quite a bit. It is truly amazing how badly most people judge distance, myself included! :grin: Fred

oldtimer
07-17-2005, 06:22 PM
It is a critical piece of equipment when bowhunting. Unless you are shooting in excess of 300 fps a misjudgement of 5 yards can be the difference between a good kill shot and a lot of tracking. Mike

07-17-2005, 07:05 PM
l use a first generation bushnell 800.......works good. Have tried it up against some of the newer rigs out there but l just can't justify upgrading something that works as well as any of the newer rigs out in the market.
My first elk sits mounted on my wall as a direct result of using it. l know that had l shot the distance l thought it was, he would of never seen the inside of my freezer.:oops: :grin:

cmfic1
07-18-2005, 09:43 AM
I have a Leica 800 yard rangefinder, and really, really love it, compact (fits in shirt pocket) and very clear, even works pretty good in the rain !

Duner
07-28-2005, 10:30 PM
It would be neat if they made a rangefinder in a scope. Point at the animal and it will tell you how far away it is just before you shoot.

BCHunter
07-28-2005, 10:37 PM
i own a 400 yard pro, use it all the time...

Bow Walker
07-30-2005, 03:27 PM
I have had my rangefinder for about three weeks now. I got it from Canadian Camo - it took in excess of 12 weeks to get to me, but that is a whole other rant.

Since practicing with it I cannot see myself leaving home without it. I totally agree with "oldtimer" in that it is a critical piece of equipment for the bow hunter. A mis-calculation or mis-estimate of yardage be even as little as 3 yds can ruin your whole day.

Dan.

ruger#1
07-30-2005, 03:35 PM
i have a bushnell trophy love it 5-800 yds. i use it every where, youd be surprized at how far shots have been taken, and some rifle scopes do have range finders on them, but they arnt laser or digital. they still work okay. the onley thing i dont like about my range finder is the batterie rattles in it i fixxed that problem by wrapping the batterie with a bandaid. otherwise it works fine.

willyqbc
07-30-2005, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't go hunting without mine! Guessing is fine for 3d, but when shooting at critters I want to KNOW the distance.

Chris

rock
07-31-2005, 07:59 PM
Dont leave home without one.

BIGREDD
08-10-2005, 04:02 AM
I just picked up one of the new Bushnell Elite 1500's.... truly outstanding technology and it is smoking the competition in the consumer reports. The price is amazing for the features. It is the fastest most accurate device I have used yet.
Check it out...

http://www.bushnell.com/products/rangefinder/specs/20-5100.cfm

Radar
08-10-2005, 09:35 AM
I use one much the same as Steeleco, mark a few key land marks and then put it away. I also use it to check my judging of distance to see how close I am. I find it helpful in the excitement of a hunt knowing my estimating of a range is fairly accurate.