PDA

View Full Version : duck hunting on V.I.

jsdboy
06-23-2008, 12:34 PM
hello out there!

I finally have the time, $, etc to get back into some waterfowl hunting.

when i was a kid i really enjoyed it in the comox valley. I just love eating a good duck or a goose or goose burger.........

However, now i live in victoria, and i have very little idea of where one can find a nice enticing marsh to lay out some deacs and scare the birds away with my crappy calling ability.

i realize it is hard to give away favourite spots: is there any generalized area info some one would be willing to share??

October is coming fast! cheers.

porcupine
06-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Cowichan Bay
________
no2 review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews/no2/)

longshot
07-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I live down in Victoria too. The public places I know is Cowichan Bay. There is also the dinsdale beside the bay. It is only open for Canada's and no ducks. You need to call to get permission to hunt on it by the person who looks after hunting on the farm.

If you want the number for the dinsdale, give me a PM.

Longshot

costellojoj
08-28-2008, 11:33 PM
The Hidden Valley Conservation Club has duck leases in the Cedar area. They also had one for many years in Comox but the property was recently sold and will be converted from potatoes to blue berries. The HVCC also has a couple of release sites (Parksville and Black Creek) for pheasant and chukar. This is a good opportunity for those training youg dogs or young hunters. It's getting increasingly difficult to find places on South and East Van Is to hunt water fowl and it can be discouraging to walk the back country all day long trying to find a couple of grouse for the pup.

jsdboy
08-30-2008, 01:13 PM
thank you costellojoj,

yep, been aware of the hidden valley club for awhile; in fact even knew the spud farmer up island. nice to know he is moving to a more lucrative crop :smile:

yes indeed waterfowl hunting on V.I. seems to be getting difficult. i am wondering if maybe i should reconnect with some old farmer friends of mine up island who have been troubled with widgeon damage to the forage crops. I'm also wondering if talking to the district agriculturalist in Duncan might be of some help too in terms of finding farmers who get crop damage from migratory and resident waterfowl.

so it is like hunting for a hunt! cheers............