PDA

View Full Version : What is the best choices to make out of your bear meat?

hunter11
06-21-2008, 07:23 PM
I recently got my first bear and am wondering what to make out of the meat. The butcher I had spoken to was mentioning that steaks and roasts aren't the best from bear meat. He had said the best choice is sausages and jerky. I 'm wondering from your experiences what is the best way to go?Any info is much appreciated. Cheers.:cool:

boxhitch
06-21-2008, 07:34 PM
You should at least give the meat a try, as steak or roast or a rear ham baked. Aren't you curious about whether you like bear meat or not ?
Trim it lean and give it a whirl.
Chances are if you don't like it alone, you will always have that lump in your throat as you eat some that is trying to hide in seasoning like sausage.

hunter11
06-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Of course I'm curiours about the taste of the meat. I don't care; either way I'm gonna chow down on all my meat. Just wondering what you guys and girls like best about the meat. Thanks.

Archer
06-21-2008, 08:04 PM
I trimmed my bears hams into roasts and steaks, as well as stew and jerky meat out of the smaller stuff, and the front quarters went to the butcher to be turned into 30 lbs of sausage and 20 lbs of burger. We had some of the sweet italian sausages tonight and they were amazing. Had stew last week which also rocked. As well, I have a batch of corned bear brining in the fridge, and it should be ready in a few days. My bigger bear produced just under 100 lbs of meat, so we'll be eating bear for a while.

Hunter11, if you go with roasts, be sure to try a marinade of red wine and olive oil. I googled a recipe involving these ingredients a while ago, and have found it to be awesome. Good luck:biggrin:

houndogger
06-21-2008, 08:27 PM
Can't beat smoked hams8-)

hunter11
06-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys for the info and recipes. I think I will try it in a stew, burger and some roasts but most of it will be sausages. Either way thanks and enjoy your spring bears.Congrats.Cheers.:mrgreen:

mcrae
06-21-2008, 08:40 PM
There is nothing wrong with bear steaks and roast you just have to remember that they have to be well done....

NaStY
06-21-2008, 08:57 PM
I had dinner sausage and pepperoni done from my bear. Got 100lbs peps and 50lbs dinner. All of it was mixed with beef and is the best ive ever eaten....

The Dawg
06-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Make sure you get some pepperoni!

Gateholio
06-21-2008, 09:27 PM
I tend to shoot larger bears, so never have warmed up to bear steaks and roasts. I prefer to grind them and use them for tacos, spag sauce etc. I also like to cut them up and make them into curries.

wolverine
06-21-2008, 09:43 PM
I get the hams double smoked and only the best cuts for steaks/chops. The rest I make into pepperoni and smoked garlic coils. I use the garlic coils for in spaghetti sauce and everyone I have fed it to raves about how good it is. Black bear is one of my favorite game meats but I am very selective about where I get my bears from. No garbage bears and no fish eaters.

Steeleco
06-21-2008, 09:59 PM
I now cut my own so I do what ever hits my fancy at the time and what the size will let me get away with. I like bear meat over all others, but the big ticket item in my house is a roast slow cooked with a can of mushroom soup, no water just the concentrate. Often I'll add a table spoon or two or dried wild mushrooms to boot. Never any left overs from a 1.5lb roast!!!

Hoytster
06-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Ok...so on the very last day of the season, I snuck out from teaching class and went out to the Nazco valley for a last ditch bear hunt.....missed a massive copper/red boar that was 6 plus easy!....I managed to take a smaller 5 foot meat bear that was cinnamon with thick fur..no rubs.....I cut my own meat into steaks. Was a little leary at first but went for it anyway.....I must say...it was some of the best meat that I have ever tasted!!!......Opened up a bottle of wine and the rest was history.....looking forward to filling my 2nd tag this fall for some more bear stakes and roasts....oh....and the hide.....I donated it to an aspiring taxidermist that dreamed of doing her own chocalate bear..made her year!

hunter11
06-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks to all who put in their opinions. I'll experiment with this first bear and by the fall I'll know what to do with my second bear. Good luck and get er' done in the fall. Cheers.:-P

newhunterette
06-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Now I know I put some bear recipes in here - Hunter11 - read through some of the recipe threads - lots of ideas for bear from HBC'rs

experiment and find what is best for your palate - that's how some of the best creations are made
Happy cookin,

Alison

oldtimer
06-23-2008, 06:20 AM
In my opinion Bear burger is the best there is. Great for meat loaf, meat balls in either sweet and sour sauce or curry sauce, spaghetti as mentioned , hamburger hash or just plain old burgers.
As stated earlier no garbage bears or fish bears. Just Cariboo grain fed blackies. Mike

Mr. Dean
06-23-2008, 09:35 AM
I ground up ALL of my 1st Bear and cranked him into sausages, except the tenderloins - Them I barbecued.

What a mistake!

I have now vowed that the rear 1/4's get the same treatment as any ungulate. Them loin chops were GREAT!

PS. Butchers make a ton of $$ 'creating' meats. Sausages are an incentive. :wink:

Gregt
08-22-2011, 03:22 PM
Hi Thanks for the great tips
Just got my first Black Bear North of Prince George in the 7.16A area and what should I do with the Paws if anything. Appreciate your help

I trimmed my bears hams into roasts and steaks, as well as stew and jerky meat out of the smaller stuff, and the front quarters went to the butcher to be turned into 30 lbs of sausage and 20 lbs of burger. We had some of the sweet italian sausages tonight and they were amazing. Had stew last week which also rocked. As well, I have a batch of corned bear brining in the fridge, and it should be ready in a few days. My bigger bear produced just under 100 lbs of meat, so we'll be eating bear for a while.

Hunter11, if you go with roasts, be sure to try a marinade of red wine and olive oil. I googled a recipe involving these ingredients a while ago, and have found it to be awesome. Good luck:biggrin:

Steeleco
08-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Unless your eating them yourself or needing them for your rug, CHUCK them out. You don't want to get caught up in any wrong doing with them. You can't even give them to someone for future considerations "legally". Hopefully you got enough meat you won't need the 2 lbs more!! Feed them to the yotes in some ravine close by.

TheProvider
08-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Can make great steaks, roasts, stew meat, sausage and ground meat.

Gregt
08-22-2011, 03:28 PM
What does one do with the famous paws. appreaciate your help

08-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Google
http://www.endangeredspecieshandbook.org/trade_traditional_bears.php

The grisly consumption of bear paws, which are cooked as a gourmet delicacy that to some is also health promoting, is widespread in Asia. Served at Japanese business banquets, they can cost $1,000 per person; a Seoul restaurant advertised bear paw soup in 1994 at $1,000 per bowl (Knights 1996). More than 900 kilograms of paws were imported annually into Japan from China in the mid-1970s, and about 600 kilograms per year entered in the 1980s (Servheen 1989). In 1987, one Chinese city, Harbin, consumed 4,000 pounds of Brown and Asiatic Black Bear paws, and nine live bears were smuggled into Guangzhou City to lease to restaurants in order to lure customers (Schaller 1993). In 1990 a single load of 4,000 kilograms of bear paws from 1,000 bears was intercepted at the Chinese border headed for Japanese and Korean buyers (Knights 1996). Live bears, imported with the pretext of going to zoos, are killed in front of Korean restaurant customers (Servheen 1989). A Korean newspaper reported that live bears are lowered onto beds of hot coals, where they are held until their feet are cooked (Knights 1996). In China, servings of bear paws sell for between $346 and $576 each. At the Beijing Lou restaurant, braised bear paws are advertised on a three-sided, revolving, illuminated sign, with enlarged photos of the paws (Highley and Highley 1994).