PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Peterborough On.

CnoB
06-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Hello Everyone :-)
My fellow worker told me about this site so here I am. I'm an Electrician from IBEW Local 894 out of Oshawa On. Just getting back into hunting and fishing after a very long time and I've already discovered that I still enjoy all aspects of the sport.
I wood like to learn about bow hunting and just maybe find a reasonably priced rig to make sure it's my cup of tea, I'm thinking cross bow. Any and all info/advise that could help me decide on rig would be appriecated :wink:.
I enjoy Woodworking, Horseshoes, Darts and collecting fire arms :eek:
I just took the Turkey course this spring but never got a bird:frown:. The course was very well run with great teachers, one could have been Red Green's brother while the other looked very similar to Sean Conreay, humorous and informative, 35$/head and over 200 that day alone, then 18$/bird tag:!:, another cash cow for our government:frown:.
Just a bit about me , please feel free to reply as I'm on the Net more than most but less than some:lol:.
Regards
CnoB:cool:

Bow Walker
06-22-2008, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the site.

About Cross bows? PM Bowzone Mikey for a great price.

Advice/help? Practice, practice, and more practice - in all possible hunting/shooting scenarios. Seriously.

bsa30-06
06-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Welcome to HBC, lots of good archery guys here, i'm sure you'll find the info your lookin for

The Hermit
06-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Welcome, my sisters and mom now live in the Peterborough area, Lk Chemong to be exact... used to be some good fishing there till the lakes died off with those nasty weed eating bas-tard crab things!

I am just curious and not religious... why a cross-bow rather than a long bow or compound?

Ron.C
06-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Hey Cnob,

welcome to the site. I grew up in Oshawa, and spent alot of time up in Peterborough/Lakefield area. There was no shortage of deer up that way when I hunted there in the late 80's. I spent alot of time duck hunting there as well. when I left to join the military in 91, the turkey populations were just starting to build to decent level, i'm glad to see there are season's on them now. My cousin has done well on them in the past couple years.
I pretty much just bowhunt now and maybe I can offer you a bit of advice. I am not sure about Peterborough, but I know that if you go to Gagnon Sports on Bloor Street in Oshawa, they can help. And there is Bass Pro shops on the 400. Gagnon carries excaliber crossbows. Unfortunately, they are not the cheapest, but at least you can get your hands on one and play with it a bit before to help you make up your mind. Hope this helps, good luck.

CnoB
06-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks Guys
You make a fella feel right at home:grin:. I've been in BC back in the 70's:shock:, now they'll quess my age. All kinding aside, you fellas have a very beautifull province to hunt. Lots of different game, great landscape not to mention the breath taking views.
The Hermit, I live on Lindsay Rd very close to Fifes Bay Rd which ends @ Chemong Lake south west end. I was born here and I'm still here in Peterborough. I'm amost 57 and not as strong and steady as I once was:oops:, that's why a X bow.
Ron.C, thanks for the info, I was told Exaliber was a good make, looking maybe to find a prieveously enjoyed bow, heard there has been a few here F/S.
Bow Walker, has Bowzone Mickey have any used equipment or only new? and thanks for the welcome also.
bsa30-06, I'm sure that there is a wealth of info and experience here and best of all everyone seems like they would share their knowledge freely.
Hope to chat soon
Thanks again
CnoB

Mr. Dean
06-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Turkey course?
Turkey tag??
WTH???

That kind of stuff we're hoping to avoid over here (BC).
Nice to get a sense of whats happening elsewhere. Feel free to chime in where you see fit.

How's Mr Miller doin???
Give him my best. :rolleyes:

Wolfman
06-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Hey, and welcome to the best hunting forum on the planet ;-)

I'm originally from Georgetown myself - still got lots of kin in Ontario, though its been a long bunch 'o' years since I was an Ontarian ;-)

Hope you enjoy the site.

Wolfman

moosinaround
06-26-2008, 01:08 PM
Hey there Cnob, welcome. This is a pretty cool site! Lots of info, pictures and BS, so come on in! I wont hold being from Ont. against you! Just jokin' my kin are from back east! Moosin

CnoB
06-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Guys
Mr. Dean, Yep Turkey tag cost 18$/bird, after you shoot one you can buy one more tag for another 18$ with a limit of 2 per season:roll:, another way for our government to get their hands in our wallets:shock:, like they don't get enough now.
I really like that camo shirt that Mark was working on with your name and HBC on the front, would love a couple myself, and the coffee mug too, count me in please.8-)
Thanks moosinaround, I'm not a bad guy when you get to know me:biggrin:, and I appreciate you not holdin my location against me:lol:.
Wolfman, you been there a long time?, you must miss the traffic jams, and the Smog?:wink: Air there must be fresh and clean. I'm far enough from the big smoke(T.O.) that our air is not too bad yet:wink:.
Should I reply this way or with PM's? Just want to be on board and up to speed with this Great Site8). Thanks again all and hope to chat soon.
Regards
CnoB

Mr. Dean
06-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Openness is encouraged, carry on. PM's are good for,,,, well, you know, stuff that should be kept 'quiet'. :smile:

We also encourage the young'uns around here and have several members that are... You get the idea.

As for the merchandise, you'll need to take that up with Marc, in the particular threads.

Cheers!

drakehunter
09-07-2008, 09:48 PM
hey there, i just moved to the lower mainland (langley) from peterborough,ont back in april, Im looking to deer hunt this fall but have to wait till october to switch my license over to bc's hunting license (6 months to be a resident). Speaking of chemong lake my parents have a cottage on chemong lake directly accross from fifes bay on arnott dr on the other side of the lake (small world). Fishing is still good for large and smallmouth in the lake and musky populations are on the rise but the pickeral are still on the low end due to water quality and the zebra mussels.