PDA

View Full Version : New Keralian Hunting dog

aspo
06-18-2008, 02:14 AM
Just purchased a keralian bear dog. I will be recieving her this friday. Any suggestions or tips for hunting training for this dog?

Also, it is a strictly outside dog. We have coyotes on our property so I built a run for the dog about 6.5 feet tall. Any ideas for stopping the coyotes from digging under?
if not I might just have wait up a night and land an arrow in a couple of 'em

chilcotin hillbilly
06-18-2008, 06:20 AM
Sounds like your prepared. I don't think the yotes are any concern, but your dog might dig out. Bury page wire under the gravel and fasten it around the edges. Good luck with your dog, they are a nice looking dog. Be aware that out in the bush they will chase anything that moves. a good leash is in order.

sako7mm
06-18-2008, 06:37 AM
I assume that you researched the breed? I have had the opportunity to work with a couple of these dogs. Being that they are bred for bear hunting they have a insane ability to chase bears, to the point that they turnoff all other senses, including hearing. The handler I worked with had a shock collar that she had to use. He makes a great pet if raised in that manner and can be a very loving dog and very loyal.

Good luck! and have fun.

Elkhound
06-18-2008, 07:16 AM
I assume that you researched the breed? I have had the opportunity to work with a couple of these dogs. Being that they are bred for bear hunting they have a insane ability to chase bears, to the point that they turnoff all other senses, including hearing. The handler I worked with had a shock collar that she had to use. He makes a great pet if raised in that manner and can be a very loving dog and very loyal.

Good luck! and have fun.

I second the above.......great dogs though

shotgunjohn
06-18-2008, 07:30 AM
How about a picture?

Monashee
06-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Interesting dog breed for sure. Not sure how well they can fit into anything but a wilderness where your neighbour is 10 miles away

From what I've read on the internet is that they have a huge exercise requirement mulitple times a day , need to be socialized from day one more than most breeds. Hell on bears and maybe anything else they decide to torment.

Barracuda
06-18-2008, 10:43 AM
I hope that you are not under the mistaken belief that they are good for bear hunting here. I assume you have read up in them and understand exactly how they are used for there intended purposes right (Not the propaganda North Americanized whimzy version either) Why would you be worried about yotes?

Mr. Dean
06-18-2008, 11:00 AM
I like the idea of waiting up for the yotes.
Go with it!

Wildman
06-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Info...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelian_Bear_Dog

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/karelianbeardog.htm

Lil Buck
06-18-2008, 12:10 PM
Did you buy the pup from the Drinkalls in Toad??

If so give them a call the daughters who raise them are very good with there breed..

But what do I know lb:lol:

Phil
06-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Very nice looking breed. What kennel did you get your dog from?

Buck
06-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Be sure to socialize that dog. I almost went that route myself seem like interesting dogs

aspo
06-19-2008, 12:57 AM
I hope that you are not under the mistaken belief that they are good for bear hunting here. I assume you have read up in them and understand exactly how they are used for there intended purposes right (Not the propaganda North Americanized whimzy version either) Why would you be worried about yotes?

worried about yotes for the simple fact that the dog is only 8 weeks old at the moment. A little small to be taking on a coyote. Once it grows i will have no worries

aspo
06-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Very nice looking breed. What kennel did you get your dog from?

got it from aspen valley bear dog down in washington
http://www.simplesite.com/avbeardog/DOG.COM/welcome.php