06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
i am getting into hunting and am looking for a good reliable deer rifle
any suggestions?

HighCountry
06-16-2008, 11:05 AM
A good deer hunting riffle I wourld say a 30-06 0r 308

Barracuda
06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Stevens, SPS or Vangard. stay away from the 710s and the 770s (DISPOSABLE :eek:). use standard calibers that are cheap to feed and easy to find and remember You dont need a magnum .

cory
06-16-2008, 11:25 AM
ok thank you now knowing that where would you suggest i go to look for one for a decent price and about what would i expect to pay?

BiG Boar
06-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Get a magnum, the people who say dont are people who dont want you killing thier deer! IMO When its time to switch to bigger game, you dont have to purchase another.

Barracuda
06-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Thats just crazy talk :roll: I shoot mgnum and non magnum calibers and each has thier place but i can assure you that for NA Game you do not need a magnum and if you want to start looking at ballistics and what is offered to the Std cartridge crowd then you will arrive at that conclusion yourself . Ask the folks that use both and i am pretty sure that they will say that you dont need a magnum:cool:

Carignan Salieres
06-16-2008, 12:40 PM
I think when starting into hunting you don't want to get a magnum to start with either. I know guys that have even hunted for quite a while that could shoot fairly well with their .308's and such, got a Weatherby because it was better for longer range and now they can't hit anything past 200 yards with their magnum because they are scared of it and flinch. You don't want to go down that path. It does happen to a few hunters, I know most of us can handle recoil........

todbartell
06-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I would suggest a Remington 700 SPS. You can get it in stainless with hinged floorplate, or matte black with floorplate OR detachable magazine. Price $600-700 depending on if its matte black or stainless steel. Put some good scope mounts on it, Burris, Leupold, Talley - and spend at least $230 on a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 scope, better yet $400 on a Leupold VXII 3-9x40!

7mm-08 or 270 Winchester are ideal for deer in open country, and both can take elk, bear, and moose as well. Also cant go wrong with a 308 Winchester or 30-06.

moosinaround
06-16-2008, 04:09 PM
300 Win Mag! Bang Flop!!! Moosin

rocksteady
06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Cory, more information would help to get you where you want to be:

1) Where do you live?? Is there a sports store there or are you interested in mail order?

2) Are you interested in used versus new?

3) Any preference to sights (scope versus open irons)?

4) What type of country will you be hunting in?? Coastal rain forest or the wide open country around the Okanogan??

All this sort of information will help us recommend a great caliber/brand combination...

Barracuda
06-16-2008, 04:18 PM
with a 3006 you can always get some High Energy rounds which bring it pretty within the 300 winmag factory offerings

BCLongshot
06-16-2008, 05:02 PM
I love the "I gotta magnum" " Getta magnum" crowd.

You guys would suck at bowhunting !

rishu_pepper
06-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Get a 338 Fed, it's bartell's new favourite. A 225gr bullet flying at '06 velocity would take grizz comfortably, and it recoils the same as the '06. Taking a deer with a 165gr is no problem with it either. According to TB anyway. But it's not a magnum! :biggrin:

moosinaround
06-16-2008, 05:49 PM
I love the "I gotta magnum" " Getta magnum" crowd.

You guys would suck at bowhunting !
I love my 300 win mag! What can I say! It has never let me down, I haven't had a lot of meat spoilage, I can buy shells anywhere, and if I take my time and make a well placed shot, the animal goes down immediately in its tracks! I have looked at other cartridges, was even considering a smaller 270 ish type caliber, but donot need too! He asked and I answered! I do think I could bow hunt, been up close and personal with many critters in the bush! Definately within bow range!! Moosin

cory
06-16-2008, 07:50 PM
i live in langley but i travel to vancouver every day and i have no idea where to look so i figured ask the ppl who shop there

i would probably be looking used

i would probably prefer a scope

it would have to be a good all around gun because i would be doing both

Mr. Friendly
06-16-2008, 08:03 PM
from everything I've been taught and heard from other experienced hunters, the .303 British, the .308 and the 30/06 are all caliber's that can take any game in North America. so if you want to make sure you have something that can take down anything you expect to hunt, one of those will do.

a book I've enjoyed reading would have a lot of good advice for you to consider: The Perfect Shot North America by Craig Boddington. he talks about the different caliber's he finds good to take down the different game in North America and talks about what shouldn't be used. one thing I appreciate about it is the fact it has images of animals at different angles with guides to show you how to take the shot for bullet placement. he stresses how caliber is not as important as the placement of your shot.

bsa30-06
06-16-2008, 08:07 PM
when your in Vancouver stop and talk to the boys at reliable, good guys they'll help you with your decision.

Blainer
06-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Check out the website S.I.R.
Great mail order website with great prices.They have new guns,and gun/scope combinations for sale.

huntwriter
06-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Good deer hunting rifles are the old and trusted .30-06 and my current favorite the .270 Wheaterby Vanguard. What makes these calibers excellent in my opinion are:

Easy on the recoil, something every novice should consider.
No other caliber offers such a large variety of bullet/load configurations.
.30-06 and .270 loads are readily available anywhere in the world from the big city to the smallest village.
The .30-o6 and .270 are what I would consider the perfect all around hunting caliber that have taken every game animal on the face of earth except the big five Africans (elephant, rhino, lion, buffalo and hippo).

steelheadSABO
07-06-2008, 08:22 AM
a stevens 200 in 270 or 308 will cover any animal from gophers to moose and some people use them for grizz

Tom_28
07-07-2008, 03:54 PM
I'd go with a 308 or 7mm08. They both work great for deer, but the 308 can also shoot larger game to whcih is nice.

wjh131
07-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Tikka T3 in 270, 30-06, 308 or my new favorite 338 federal.

BiG Boar
07-08-2008, 07:11 AM
In reality, most guns out there in the 30 cal or around there will do the trick. Find something used on the used site here, or on CGN. Lots of stuff for sale for reasonable prices, and with our impending economic collapse, guns should hold thier value.

07-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Howa builds really nice rifles. They are under-rated IMO and you can, if you look hard, find a new one for under $500. You don't need a large caliber rifle for deer hunting. Stick to something like a .308 Win. - it will kill the deer just as dead as the magnums.

Other good choices include .25-06, .260 Rem., 7x57, 6.5x55 and the like. There is a place back east that sells really nice used Husqvarnas for cheap. They are great rifles! PM me if you would like more info.

JeffR
07-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Have you done any shooting at all up to this point? If not, you will need to put a fair bit of time in at the range and work on your skills, in which case I would say buy a .22 and a couple bricks of ammo and start practicing. Caliber doesn't mean much if you don't hit what you are shooting at. Also, if you are a new shooter, get a deer rifle with manageable recoil like a 6.5x55, 7mm-08 or 308. They are all plenty for deer. You can always work up to a bigger rifle later on, but if you start with a rifle that is too much for you, you can develop a flinch that can be tough to get rid of.

todbartell
07-08-2008, 10:01 PM
I'd go with a 308 or 7mm08. They both work great for deer, but the 308 can also shoot larger game to whcih is nice.

I would have zero hesitation to tackle elk & moose with a 7-08 and a quality bullet inside 300 yards, given todays bullet designs.

elkdom
07-08-2008, 10:05 PM
I would have zero hesitation to tackle elk & moose with a 7-08 and a quality bullet inside 300 yards, given todays bullet designs.

'ditto' dat dude!

07-09-2008, 12:01 PM

The largest moose I ever shot was with a 7x57, factory RWS 162gr bullets at just over 200 yards. Placed the first shot right behind the shoulder, the bull jumped and ran forward about 10 yards and stopped. I fired again, and the bull dropped where he stood.

The second bullet entered a few inches from the first. One of the bullets was recovered from just under the hide, it broke a rib and messed up his lungs. The other bullet also did considerable damage to the lungs and also broke the off-side shoulder.

Now the ammo wasn't exactly junk, but it wasn't a handloaded Partition, TSX, A-Frame etc etc either.

Poke a hole through both lungs and the game is yours, its as simple as that. But, as mentioned, practice makes perfect. You need to practice shooting, and not just from the bench. Try offhand, sitting, prone and with a shooting stick. Start with a .22 so you can practice lots.

ringo
07-09-2008, 12:28 PM
There are lots of choices, find a rifle that fits you well, feels comfortable, and seems to line up naturally on the target. Look at the broader picture, deer hunting this season may be replaced by elk or moose hunting next season. Think of the ease of getting ammunition at a reasonable price. Good optics are essential, both in rifle scope and binoculars as it assists in shot placement, tine count, and rangefinding. I have taken deer with 6.5x55, 7x57, 270win, 308win, 30.06, 30/284, 7mm rem mag, and 338win mag. They all work as a deer rifle and I have taken larger game also. My favorite deer rifle is a Mauser milsurp FN action fitted with a Kreiger 270win barrel, Timney trigger, with an old Leupold 3x9 Vari XIIc for a scope. Good hunting.

Sunny
07-09-2008, 12:40 PM
270 are very good

eaglesnester
07-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Look at a good brand name like Remington 308 or 30/06 with a barrel that is not too light in weight and is at least 24 inches. This is a good starter rifle and will do you until you learn to shoot it well. Bullets are readily purchased everywhere and are cheaper than the more exotic heaver magnum rounds. The previous two mentioned rounds are good for anything in B.C. and will kill anything farther than you can shoot with precision except G.B. and will kill them in a pinch with a well placed round. For G.B. recommend you start with a 338 and have a friend with a shotgun for backup. Later on after you learn to shoot take a look at the magnum if you get a terminal case of magnumitis.
They are a different breed of cat and require a few tips from an experienced magnum shooter. So many hunters buy the big magnums and find that they are just too much gun. Some of em get scooped, some of em are unable to handle the recoil, many develop a flinch. You can't go wrong with a good 308 or 30/06.
Cheers&Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Remington
07-12-2008, 06:07 PM
.243 winchester,

You can give it to your Girlfreind when you get older!

steelheadSABO
07-22-2008, 12:06 PM
cant go wrong with a 308

308Lover
07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
I think the nicest rifle would be a 308. They work very well .

brian
07-23-2008, 04:15 PM
When listening to all this advice you have to realize its not the caliber of the rifle that counts, but its how YOU handle the rifle that counts. The right caliber for an experienced shooter is very different from the right caliber for a new shooter. Some people will tell you that you don't notice recoil when hunting, this of course is a misnomer. Recoil matters most when practicing. And you should be getting in a ton of practice. From my own experience (being a fairly new shooter), is that lighter kicking calibers are easier for me to shoot well. I can focus more on all the stages of the shot than be distracted by recoil. And its not just the recoil that distracts you as it is the kick mixed with the big boom mixed with the flash. It's pretty much the result of the controlled explosion that is happening inches from your face. Shooting a lot allows you to build up your skills so that you can you can maintain your focus through the recoil. And recoil is a bugger because many of your shooting errors are hidden from yourself and the world with the big boom. Obviously though the results will speak for themselves. So you can sing the praises of whatever calibers at whatever ranges... but if you can't hit squat with it, then you can't hit squat with it at any range and it will be equally as ineffective as any other caliber.

being a new shooter I find this article pretty much bang on as to what to expect with different rifles.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/what_to_expect.htm

7mmwin
09-06-2008, 12:09 PM
get a riffle that is good for what you are going to shot like deer 270 or 243

gone hunting
09-06-2008, 10:54 PM
If I was looking for one rifle to hunt deer and anything else that tickled my fancy, it would, without a doubt be in 30-06. Just my opinion, but I'm right.
The best prices are mail order, but if you're new at the game, you need to be able to hold a rifle and have the advice of an honest and knowledgeable sales person. I could point you in the right direction in Victoria but I'm sure there are those in the lower mainland too.
Don't go cheap. If need be wait a paycheck or two. Stainless / synthetic makes sense, though they still need some maintenance. Tika makes a good rifle (out of the box) and browning stainless stalkers are good. The ruger hawkeye is a good rifle, after the barrel channel has been to a good gunsmith.
I agree with whoever suggested a leupold VXII 3-9 scope. (not VXI)
Happy hunting
PS Now you need a good knife, binoculars and boots.

garsher
09-16-2008, 09:15 PM
.338 lapua magnum

dutchie
09-30-2008, 07:36 PM
a stevens 200 in 270 or 308 will cover any animal from gophers to moose and some people use them for grizz

:eek::eek::eek: I think the only way i would be using any of those calibers for a grizz is only if it was already dead or it was a fully auto gun...

I think that I would be nervous using my .300WSM and I would be loading a minimum 180gr projectile.

If I was hunting Grizz i would have a minimum of a .338 mag. But that is just me

.300 calibler is a very good all around caliber. you are very safe with a quality gun in this caliber

Dirty
09-30-2008, 07:50 PM
I like the 270wsm right now, but you cannot go wrong with a variety of other calibres. 270,308, 30-06, 7mm-08, 7mm, 300wm. Look at what is in stock at the stores you are dealing with. Decide which model and make you like. Look at the price of ammunition as well. If you are on a budget some calibres of ammunition are cheaper than others.

tomahawk
09-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Get a magnum, the people who say dont are people who dont want you killing thier deer! IMO When its time to switch to bigger game, you dont have to purchase another.

Saying you need a magnum for deer or elk or moose or black bear or goat or sheep in BC is like saying you need a Big Old Caddy or Lincoln to drive to the corner store instead of a regular car.

There are several good calibers to choose from for what you have asked and many of them have been mentioned by other posts! 30-06 is probably one of the most popular and versatile for varying bullet weights but there are lots of other choices as well.

nano
10-03-2008, 04:44 PM
get a 270 win that will drop them.

BiG Boar
10-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, fact of the matter is that all men on this site own magnums. If you dont, ur just not a man I suppose. My wife shoots a non magnum and even she thinks its a gun for pussies.

Jetboater
10-03-2008, 05:25 PM
I have Killed almost every Big game animal in BC with my 270 win, just got a new one actually, Guys who feel they need a magnum have small man syndrome... a 30-06 is the best everything gun...I will bet I can outshoot most magnum guys with my little old 270.... and for the record, I have had lots of magnums, 378 WBY,30-378,338-378WBY MAg,300RUM,308 Norma mag,300 Win Mag and a few others like the 7RM..
buy what you feel comfortable with and something that wont make you shy of recoil.

listen to the old guys on the site that have actually killed a few animals not the one Kill heros.

Big7
10-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, fact of the matter is that all men on this site own magnums. If you dont, ur just not a man I suppose. My wife shoots a non magnum and even she thinks its a gun for pussies.
That's funny cuz I shoot a 7RM which I guess makes me a "man" since it's a "magnum" but when you boil it all down, it's nothing but a glorified 280, 270, 30-06, 280 AI etc......pussie I guess!

Barracuda
10-03-2008, 06:50 PM

a word magnum it seems must be some kind of compensentary device :tongue:

Magnum is just a name like alpine or even wheelan. if ballistics are the criteria then the 223 or 270 should one but they arnt.

If you were to introduce the 375 H&H would it be a magnum? What exactly is a magnum, we know it isnt the belt, we know it isnt velocity or even Bore size.

So what exactly is a magnum in this day and age other then a catchy sales tool????

blomgren
10-03-2008, 07:02 PM
I have used a 270 for 30 years now this is agreat gun for deer and moose and elk never lost a animal .It has very little recoil. Very flat shooting rifle.This rifle is just a 30-06 necked down. I use federal premium nosler partition 150 grain bullet. You will not have to buy any other rifle for hunting

born2hunt
10-19-2008, 07:46 PM
270 ruger is a great all round caliber with 130 grain nosler partitions

eaglesnester
11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
My first recommendation would be a Remington 700 BDL custom in long action 30/06 with a 22 inch barrel, in either wood or synthetic stock. I own this rifle and have a VXIII 4.5X14 Scope on top. This rifle will almost do everything you can think of in B.C. except not for the great bears. I can tell you that the Remington 700 is accurate, well balanced, not too heavy and easy to shoot and light on recoil. My wife carries it and shoots it when we hunt together. If the truth be known I like the Remington 700 better than my 300 Weatherby Lazermark.

bigmike
11-10-2008, 04:50 PM
.416 rigby

Wolfman
11-10-2008, 06:50 PM
There's a good post on the efficiency of the good 'ol 30-30 right here:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27930

Wolfman

steelheadSABO
11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
get a used savage 99 in 308 and you will hate every other gun in the world.
its cheap
relaible
light good for short range bush gun and long range gun plenty of power for anything in canada fast repeat shots you wont be disapointed.

Dually
11-19-2008, 05:30 PM
6.5 x 55 once you get one you'll know why everyone that has one loves em.

Just one of many great deer rifles, good luck

huntwriter
11-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Thats just crazy talk :roll: I shoot mgnum and non magnum calibers and each has thier place but i can assure you that for NA Game you do not need a magnum and if you want to start looking at ballistics and what is offered to the Std cartridge crowd then you will arrive at that conclusion yourself . Ask the folks that use both and i am pretty sure that they will say that you dont need a magnum:cool:

Nobody needs a magnum to kill any North American game species, but if someone is willing to put up with all the kicking these guns do or needs to impress his peers go ahead and be happy.

But for a beginner I would, like Barracuda and other commonsense folks, suggest something friendlier and still able to do what any magnum can do. For me a deer, and all around caliber, that will do a fine number on ANY game animal is the .270. This caliber is easy to handle and ammunition in many configurations are available anywhere except on the moon.

Like I said, if someone wants to shot a magnum fine. But I have yet to see any solid proof of what a magnum can do that a normal deer rifle can’t do too. A magnum may hit harder it may shoot flatter than some of the smaller calibers (barley noticeable) but all it basically does is make an animal dead. So does a smaller caliber. A magnum does not make the animal more dead. There are no different degrees of dead just dead.

“Magnums are better”, simply laughable. I wonder how generations before us managed to kill deer to the point of extinction, among other species, without magnums.;)

brian
11-20-2008, 02:27 PM

Funny, I see so many real men at the range flinching like pussies when they shoot their magnums.

spreerider
11-20-2008, 06:49 PM
its cheap
relaible
light good for short range bush gun and long range gun plenty of power for anything in canada fast repeat shots you wont be disapointed.

2X that one

358win
11-20-2008, 10:48 PM
its cheap
relaible

HEAR HEAR.... x-2

Ooops....
spreerider beat me to the keyboard..
X-3

wsm
11-20-2008, 11:15 PM
when your in Vancouver stop and talk to the boys at reliable, good guys they'll help you with your decision.

i agree. x2

Barracuda
11-20-2008, 11:40 PM
if you can , BUY NEW!!!

Most folks want new rifle prices for used rifles and way to much for trash. Do not purchase from semi pro Gun traders either they are as bad as car salesman

I swapped a nice rifle for what ended up a piss poor rifle to a person that said they wanted it for their young Son (i could accept it if it really was for thier son) only to find out they were a guntrader and sold the rifle, and they had used this tactic on others.

I sold the rifle I received as a "project rifle" and i walked away with a whopping $200 dollars so i say be carefull who you deal with.

If i am getting rid of a rifle it will be for a fair price with full disclosure I see so many folks that want near new price or the you dont pay the tax BS.
As far as i am concerned it is like a car, the minute you drive it off the lot it is down 25% (unless it is a much sought after specific model).

Buy new or from a reputable shop be very careful buying second hand from a private party .

there are plenty of good value new rifles on the market nowadays that folks have not had the chance to screw up.

huntwriter
11-21-2008, 08:39 AM
if you can , BUY NEW!!!

Most folks want new rifle prices for used rifles and way to much for trash. Do not purchase from semi pro Gun traders either they are as bad as car salesman

I swapped a nice rifle for what ended up a piss poor rifle to a person that said they wanted it for their young Son (i could accept it if it really was for thier son) only to find out they were a guntrader and sold the rifle, and they had used this tactic on others.

I sold the rifle I received as a "project rifle" and i walked away with a whopping $200 dollars so i say be carefull who you deal with.

If i am getting rid of a rifle it will be for a fair price with full disclosure I see so many folks that want near new price or the you dont pay the tax BS.
As far as i am concerned it is like a car, the minute you drive it off the lot it is down 25% (unless it is a much sought after specific model).

Buy new or from a reputable shop be very careful buying second hand from a private party .

there are plenty of good value new rifles on the market nowadays that folks have not had the chance to screw up.

Very well said.

New good quality guns can be had in the range of $450 to $600. With a new gun you know what you get and manufactures warranty.

With a used gun you get what you see and no warranties or guarantees of any kind.

Th0r
11-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Used is Ok. Buy used from a reputable place like Reliable. They will stand behind used stuff. If it is junk to begin with they won't sell it. I enjoy used stuff, sure I got ripped before but overall it has been good. If you are into old levers you don't have much of a choice but to peruse the used market anyway. As for calibers I would recommend the 30-30, 303 brit or 6.5X 55. Stay away from Magnums as afirst shooter. Work on shot placement/ accuracy. Know your gun and what it can do at different ranges. When it becomes the 5th limb you are good to go!

eaglesnester
11-21-2008, 08:05 PM
My self I would stay away from used firearms if I were a newby. You do not know what to look for and that in itself is enough to stay away from the used market. For a first firearm purchase in Canada you can not beat a 30/06. Remington LA BDL in 22 inch barrel. I have been very specific in recommending this firearm. It will do everything you ask of it in Canada, with the exception of the great bears. Bullets are avaliable in any small town sporting goods store or any place that sells fishing tackle, bullets etc.
from here to Newfoundland. You can get almost any gr weight from varment to heavy swamp donky and elk loads. The 06 has sucessfully taken Mbongo (SP) Cape buff but not recommended. When you get the skill to go after something with attitude you can always step up to a 338 or a 375 H&H. If you are an interested hunter and dedicated shooter, later on, you will not have just one rifle in your arsnel, you will have many but for deer, elk and moose you will always find yourself reaching for the old 06.

quackquackbang
02-25-2009, 07:50 PM
just got rid of my 300win mag for the 7mm-08 and will shoot deer to moose with the 708! like said b4 u dont need a thumping thunder magnum to kill deer-moose size game, just get good bullets and shoot at a range you are comfortable with!!!

kyleklassen
02-25-2009, 07:56 PM
that rem. vtr in 308 looks like a good deer gun they call it a varmint rifle, but its only 7 1/2 lbs same as the old 30/06 pump. looks like it would be tough.

hunterofthedeer
02-27-2009, 05:59 PM
depends what you can take for recoil you could go as small as a 22.250 or 243. to as big as a 338. if you plan on hunting other game besides deer such as elk or moose. for myself i used my friend 300 win mag for my deer but we own a 30.30 and a 270. good for deer moose and elk with bullet placement