PDA

View Full Version : bow repair

Jager
07-12-2005, 08:19 PM
I have a compound bow (Martin - Lynx I believe) that was given to me many years ago. It is a one piece (meaning the limbs cannot be removed) with a wood core. I shot it a few times when I first got it and then I noticed that there were small cracks forming where the limbs forked to accept the pulleys/cams. I took it to one sporting goods place to see if it could be repaired and they basically told me to hang it up....so that's what I did. So here I sit looking at it wondering if it really can be repaired. What about fiberglass, kevlar, aluminium, or some of the new epoxies? I'm not an archer so I don't know all the lingo but one day I hope to be. I'd like to have it repaired so I can get out and play without forking out alot of cash to get all new equipment.

Ideas?

Kirby
07-12-2005, 08:29 PM
DON'T DON'T DON'T!!! Cracked limbs are not something to start playing with, When limbs explode, they can be pretty nasty, I would hate to say it, but the bow is done. The good news is, everything off the bow can be salvaged, sights, rest, etc, if your looking to get into the sport, try to find somebody who knows the sport, and check out used bows in buy and sells, shops, you should be able to find a good used bow for pretty cheap, and then get shooting.

Kirby

greybark
07-12-2005, 08:57 PM
:???: Hey Jager , I do not recomend you draw that bow . I witnessed the serious physical injury caused by compound limb failure. The bows cams , cables and limbs become projectles . If these projectles miss your wrist , hand or arm you may have to contend with a shattered arrow coming at you and even worst a carbon arrow exploding . I know of a bowhunter who has carried carbon splinters in one of his eyes for several years as result of a compound bow failure.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Fred
07-12-2005, 10:50 PM
If you need someone to talk to in your area(more or less) send a PM to buckee. He is in Courtney and has a fair bit of experience with archery. Best of all, he can be trusted! ;-) Fred

Islander
07-12-2005, 11:45 PM
Jager ....Why don't you bring the bow up to the Nanaimo Fish and Game Club?We shoot on Monday and Thursday evenings. I could have a look at it and if it isnt shootable we have some bows you could practice with until you get something else Rod Taylor

sealevel
07-13-2005, 06:34 AM
Don`t do it unless it has sentamental value the value of that bow is 13 cents

Jager
07-13-2005, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Your response is pretty much what I expected. The archery world seems to be continuously evolving so I thought there might be a slim chance it could be fixed.

Islander, one day I'll make it up to the club to get some input and try and get educated!

Peter