PDA

View Full Version : getting a new hunting buddy

islandarcher
06-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Well, spoke with the Breeder last night, and will send off a deposit on Friday. Getting a brand new, adorable beagle puppy, hopefully by the middle of August. Should be interesting, wife has never had a dog, I haven't had one since childhood, and never trained a puppy. Neither of us can hardly wait though.

Marc
06-10-2008, 02:31 PM
Don't expect any sleep for the first couple of months if it's going to live in the house. :biggrin:

huntcoop
06-10-2008, 02:54 PM
We've had two beagles and still have one................good luck.

Advice.........completely fence your yard, buy a really good leash and warn your neighbours.......

Angel
06-10-2008, 05:58 PM
congrats on the new addition to the family:smile:. my advise is to train him or her as fast as possible, beagles love to take a scent and run. and yes a good leash is a must. post some pics when the little one arrives.

Barracuda
06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
ya gonna do some bunny hunting with it? rabbit hunting with a slow dog is loads of fun.

chilcotin hillbilly
06-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Congrats on your newest addition. Be aware that you just bought a hound. This dog needs excercise!!! and a kennel!!! Never have it off leash unless you have a tracking collar and a shock collar. I have 5 beagles that live in my general area, all run game when they get out. Had to call the Co's on my neighbour the other day as they refused to keep their hounds leashed up. Every 3 days or so the beagles chased deer all over the country for up to 2 days at a time. this does not make for good relations. good luck.:roll:

islandarcher
06-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Anyone want to add anything positive :???: LOL!

We are buying a kennel before the pup arrives, and I plan on crate training from day one. The wife and I work opposing shifts so it will never be alone for long. Hopefully with all the attention and positive reinforcement it will pick up on basic obedience commands quickly. We are on the same page as far as the dog not sleeping with us, and not allowing it up on furniture, so hopefully we are consitent with everything else and training goes smoothly :rolleyes: I never plan to let the dog off leash without a shock collar unless it is in a fort Knox style compound.

No bunny hunting planned, instead I plan on training the dog to blood trail. I know terriers and daschounds are the more popular choice, but I am not a big terrier fan.

dakotawinters
08-14-2008, 02:54 PM
My next door neighbor has one and he's adorble. His name is Jasper. My birttany's play with him all the time. Hes so friendly and has a wonderful attitude. I love it when he gets excited he does this crazy howl. The first time I thought he hurt himself but he was just really excited. Have you gotten him yet?

islandarcher
08-15-2008, 01:00 PM
Picked her up on August 6. She is wonderful, sit on command by the second day, signalled to go outside almost right away, doesn't howl when put to bed in the kennel at night. I have high hopes she picks up blood trailing as easily as the basic obedience. See following thread for pics!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24487

dakotawinters
08-29-2008, 01:08 PM
she's adorable.