PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit season

Carignan Salieres
06-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I have been seeing more rabbits lately, maybe the coming hunting season will be a good one. I love adding a few to a bird hunt, or even when out after deer.

Mr. Friendly
06-08-2008, 02:15 PM
where'd you see these rabbits Carignan? I know that rabbit hunting is one of the first things I'd like to do once I'm comfortable with my .22 shooting (paperwork is being processed for my PAL & RPAL). :D

Hoytster
06-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Years back my dad would take us rabbit hunting up in Chetwyn area...man..I couldnt believe the brace of rabbits I would have to pack back to camp.....I was 12 years old back then....would be nice to take my kids out again...

Carignan Salieres
06-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I still have not seen populations of rabbit like I did in the mid 80's, but there seem to be more around the last couple of years. This is north of Chetwynd a ways.

Wolfman
06-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I used to hunt rabbits a fair bit in the Yukon.

Somebody told me once that there is a certain disease that one can get from eating too much rabbit. Old wives' tale maybe ?

Wolfman

Hoytster
06-08-2008, 09:16 PM
No, I heard that too.....is it Trich???.....Tasty little critters though.

Junorr500
06-08-2008, 09:21 PM
If the situation arises where you have to survive off of rabbits (say stuck out in the winter for some reason) you can get scurvy. There is not enouph fat on rabbits to provide your body with enouph of the right kind of nutrients and minerals.

Mr. Friendly
06-09-2008, 12:43 AM
If the situation arises where you have to survive off of rabbits (say stuck out in the winter for some reason) you can get scurvy. There is not enouph fat on rabbits to provide your body with enouph of the right kind of nutrients and minerals.
so make sure you keep some vitamin c in your survival kit! LOL!

anyone know about rabbit hunting in the Kamloops are tho? it's probably going to be my first game...

Wolfman
06-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I had a guy out in Lillooet once tell me people could get herpes from rabbits. Then his buddies all started laughing and pointing at him and saying "He should know!"

I left that conversation where it was and moved on....;-)

Wolfman

Junorr500
06-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Already Seen more this spring than all last season in the okanagan. Its lookin good.

Grantmac
06-10-2008, 09:54 AM
Rabbit sickness is actually a combination of lack of vitamins and protien poisoning. The rabbits are just too damn lean for our own good ;)
The solution is to eat all of the rabbit: brain, liver, kidneys and heart.
Cheers,
Grant

rishu_pepper
06-10-2008, 10:01 AM
so make sure you keep some vitamin c in your survival kit! LOL!

anyone know about rabbit hunting in the Kamloops are tho? it's probably going to be my first game...

We went up Coldwater on the way back from Merritt one cold winter day, tons of bunny tracks but hard to see them buggers. I got tired of walking and sinking into the snow (need snowshoes...). Maybe next season we'll get out together.

Wolfman
06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Rabbit sickness is actually a combination of lack of vitamins and protien poisoning. The rabbits are just too damn lean for our own good ;)
The solution is to eat all of the rabbit: brain, liver, kidneys and heart.
Cheers,
Grant

Very cool. I was wondering about that!

Thanks

Wolfman

Bowzone_Mikey
06-10-2008, 05:07 PM
its just like eating Caribou ... Very tasty .. not enough nutritional value to keep you alive for very long

Wolfman
06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
its just like eating Caribou ... Very tasty .. not enough nutritional value to keep you alive for very long

Sounds like pizza!

Actually I've had more than my share of Bugs Bunny's kinfolk - never had to live on it though ;-)

Wolfman

islandboy
06-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Try this for a cure:

How to make Pine Tea, the Native American Cure for Scurvy

Grab a handful of pine needles, about 1/4 cup is all you need.
Place in boiling water for ten to fifteen minutes.
Add lemon and honey if available.
You now have 100% of the US RDA requirement for vitamin C.Drink up and enjoy your woodsy brew, it tastes and smells like the pine forest from which it came.

Wolfman
06-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Try this for a cure:

I have actually made and used pine needle tea. Tastes like pine-sol a bit - and no, I don't know what Pine-sol really tastes like ;-) Just kinda figure that that is what it would taste like ;-)

But its an acquired taste - kinda like Retsina or Absinthe ;-) Better for ya though.

Wolfman