PDA

View Full Version : Campfire Cooking

newhunterette
06-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Here are a couple Dessert recipes kids will love to do when camping

Choco-nana
Cut a banana in 2 (so you have 2 half moons), sprinkle chocolate over the flesh of the banana. Wrap the banana in tinfoil, put the banana in the fire/coals. Leave it there for about 10 minutes or so: result: nice soft banana with delicious chocolate sauce!!!

Apple-sweet
Make a hole in an apple, so the seeds are gone. Put apple on top of a piece of tinfoil. Then mix some sugar with cinamon. Pour the cinamon mixture into the hole in the apple. The tinfoil prevents it from running away. Then wrap the tinfoil around the apple. Put it for 10-15 minutes in the fire: Result: a nice soft apple-sauce in an appleskin!!

Smores
Put a marshmallow on a stick and hold it over the fire until it is just right, then get two graham crackers and two pieces of chocolate; put the chocolate in between the crackers and slide the marshmallow on and you have a smore.

oddsix
06-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Choco-nana
Cut a banana in 2 (so you have 2 half moons), sprinkle chocolate over the flesh of the banana. Wrap the banana in tinfoil, put the banana in the fire/coals. Leave it there for about 10 minutes or so: result: nice soft banana with delicious chocolate sauce!!!

I have done that before. Really tasty when you add some mini marshmellows in with it.:)

newhunterette
06-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Tin Foil Pockets

Here's a wonderful method for campfire cooking which is simple, versatile and doesn't even require cookware or a grill. All you need is some heavy-duty tin foil.

Tear off a 12" sheet of foil and fold it back over your fist, making a "pocket". Roll the sides in a few turns so the pocket is only open at the top, and roll a turn or two up from the bottom for extra strength. The pocket needs to be leak-proof, and formed well enough to withstand cooking directly in the coals. If your foil is thin, you may need two layers.

Start by lining the bottom of the pocket with thin slices of lemon. This helps keep the food contents from burning, and add flavor to the meal.

Chop potatoes and carrots (cut small enough to cook all the way without overcooking everything else), tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, onions, green beans, etc. and stuff the pockets. Add garlic, salt and pepper, olive oil, and a dash of cayenne. Add 1/4 cup of beer or water, fold the top edges of the pocket closed and set directly into the hot coals....it takes anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes, depending on how everything's cut. All the veggies slow roast in their own juices!

Create Bestever Campfire Beans
I think my most favorite campfire food is really true "Campfire Beans".

I make them with whatever is in the cooler starting with the bacon drippings from breakfast, then add onions and other veggies ...toss in the DRY beans (if they have been soaked great, but it does not matter). This is done in a cast iron pot, nestled in the coals...I put in whatever meat is available...we often have frozen venison, but beef and pork do fine too. Add garlic and any other seasoniong you like...do not be afraid of a pinch of cinnamon.... keep adding liquid...beer, wine, water ...a few bullion cubes help...chopped celery, diced tomatoes (this is a great way to use the veggies that get soft in the cooler).

Heavenly Catch (trout)
Here's a recipe that the entire family will enjoy!

Start with heavy duty foil and tear off a square, if using thin foil, double it up. Place a fish fillet in the foil, trout's the best to use for this recipe, but any fish will do. Place halved cherry tomato, halved small lemon, and a pinch of garlic and lemon salt in the foil. Pure about 1/3 cup of Sprite or 7up in the foil. Seal the foil tightly and place the pocket on the coals for approximately 10-15 minutes. Remove from coals and watch the reaction from the entire family!

Easy Meal in A Pocket

In the center of a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil place a hamburger patty (venison or chicken breasts would also work). On top of the burger, place a thin slice of onion. Wash potatoes with skins on, slice thinly and add a layer of potatoes on top of the onions. Add salt, pepper, garlic and a large spoon of your favourite canned baked beans. Bring edges of foil together and fold down to seal then roll ends to finish sealing. Place in hot coals for 30 to 45 min til done.

Family Favourite Campers Stew
An all time favorite meal in our family It's a simple mess-free dinner the whole family can enjoy.

On a 15 " strip of aluminum foil, chop any type of meat you like and top it with finely chopped potatoes, onions, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, and any vegetable you have on hand. Add salt, pepper and a tsp of butter to the top. Wrap it up tight and stick on a bed of hot coals. When it's done add Tabasco or ketchup. ummmmmm.

Greek Style Roasted New Potatoes
2 lbs small new potatoes (washed)
Olive Oil
2 tablespoons dried rosemary (you can also used thyme and oregano)
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper, salt

In plenty of salted water, par-boil the potatoes until the tip of a knife can be insterted easily (roughly 10 minutes depending on size). Drain, then toss the potatoes in enough oil to just coat them, then toss with the rosemary, garlic powder, paprika and about 1 1/2 teaspoons salt as well as the pepper. On a campfire grill, grill over direct heat, turning often, until browned and grill marked, 10-15 minutes.

mark
06-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Way to many ingredients and steps for me. Try this one, when you have the 4 quarters, from the moose or elk, hanging in camp, take sawsal and hack out a square foot or more of ribs, put on the grill over campfire, flip and smother with bar-b-que sauce. Served best with a cold beer! :smile:

MIL720
06-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Way to many ingredients and steps for me. Try this one, when you have the 4 quarters, from the moose or elk, hanging in camp, take sawsal and hack out a square foot or more of ribs, put on the grill over campfire, flip and smother with bar-b-que sauce. Served best with a cold beer! :smile:
YUP.........

Slickfork
06-07-2008, 01:01 PM
Hey you campfire cooks, try some Dutch over Peach cobbler!http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/thumbs/peach_cobbler.jpg

newhunterette
06-07-2008, 01:17 PM

YUP.........

I expect that coming from guys wanting things simple - why do you think I prepare Peter's food for him before he goes on hunting or fishing trips - less work for him the happier he will be - but come to my campfire when I am in camp and I don't mind taking the time prepping - I enjoy cooking and trying new things and sharing ideas with others

Mark your idea sound wonderfully tasty

newhunterette
06-07-2008, 01:26 PM
I haven't actually tried this one yet but it sounded sort of interesting so I thought I would share it

Venison Steaks Dipped in Coffee Grounds

Wrap a slice of bacon around each steak and secure bacon with a toothpick. Dip each steak into a bowl of fresh coffee grounds. You may brush off some of the grounds, then place steaks on hot hardwood or charcoal fire. Cook 'til done.

newhunterette
06-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Hey you campfire cooks, try some Dutch over Peach cobbler!

A Peachy Dessert

Cut a peach in half; remove pit. Fill the empty pit area with cinnamon and place both halves together. Wrap in foil, throw in the coals until soft on the outside. Remove the peach, and there's your quick peach cobbler.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow i am simple ...

Make up some bread dough ..rip a peice of it off ... flatten it out ... drop a dollop of your favorite Jam ... (for me its strawberry jam and crabapple jelly mix) fold or roll the dough over it .. wrap in tin foil .. throw into the fire for about 10 -15 mins ..or so ..

I dont really have a name for em .. i call em "Jammy bread things"

moosinaround
06-10-2008, 05:50 PM
I love all those foil ideas! Cooked like that a few times out camping and at camp as a child. Love cooking fresh trout like that and then putting it on campfire toast! I'm a simple man, I love a smokie or BBQ hotdog cooked over the fire, served in a whole wheat bun with fresh onions, mustard, and ketchup, maybe some BBq sauce if i'm feelin' like gourmet! Moosin

moosinaround
06-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Or better yet canned beans or spaghetti with smokies or BBq hotdogs chopped up in it cooked over the fire!!! Moosin

The Dawg
06-10-2008, 06:09 PM
Or better yet canned beans or spaghetti with smokies or BBq hotdogs chopped up in it cooked over the fire!!! Moosin

Mike, you are making me hungry!!! Now we have an excuse to go out for bear before it closes...well, another excuse ;)

moosinaround
06-10-2008, 06:15 PM
you haven't killed one yet??? You try any of those areas I mentioned?

Bowzone_Mikey
06-10-2008, 06:17 PM
for canned beans or chef boyrdee etc .... I made up a little bracket that went on the exhaust pipe of a quad or sled just back from the header ... run all morning and its hot and ready when you stop for break

The Dawg
06-10-2008, 06:31 PM
Not yet...only gone out about 3 times, few hours at a time...but I am off all week :)

Jimsue
06-16-2008, 09:53 PM
just so ya know, ya can't heat food in the tin any more, the plastic lining they put inside is not good for you if it gets heated.

Sharkey
06-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Don't forget that any tinfoil you use can be thrown in the recycle bin once dinner's done! :smile:

Gateholio
06-16-2008, 10:56 PM
We used to take large oranges with thick rinds, cut off the top and hollow them out. Then we woudl mix up some chocolate cake batter, and 2/3 fill the orange rinds with it.

We would put the top back on, and wrap it all up with tinfoil, then into the coals for about 20 minutes or so and we would have orange scented chocolate cake!

newhunterette
06-18-2008, 09:19 AM
We used to take large oranges with thick rinds, cut off the top and hollow them out. Then we woudl mix up some chocolate cake batter, and 2/3 fill the orange rinds with it.

We would put the top back on, and wrap it all up with tinfoil, then into the coals for about 20 minutes or so and we would have orange scented chocolate cake!

Clarke, that sounds awesome

going to have to try that - what a great idea - thanks for sharing :)

BiG Boar
06-18-2008, 09:42 AM
One I like to do is find a cut of cedar/ plank is best, or top of a log, and throw in on coals near the fire and bake your samon on it with lemon juice, dill weed, garlic, and feta sprinkled on it. put tinfoil on the top to aviod charcoal sparks and to keep the moisture in. Done when the feta turns brownish. Really, really tasty.

outdoorswoman
06-19-2008, 10:43 PM
mm iam soo gonna have to try some of those yumm

echo
06-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Hunterette---we call these banana boats --cut banana length wise after topping and tailing --press ends so the smile opens -- sprinkle generously with chocolate chips and mini marshmallows! wrap tightly in tin foil and cook in coals -- use BBQ tongs to turn a couple of times --ya know its done well enough if its soft enough to eat with a spoon.

Baked apples ---core apples and put 2 or 3 unwrapped caramels in center --wrap in tin foil --insert cooking stick opposite direction of core hole. Use stick to turn slowly in fire -- Eat when soft.

Baked pears ---core pears and put 2 or 3 unwrapped peppermint patties in center (will have to break them up to make them fit)--cook as for baked apple.

Campfire Pies --in metal sandwich cooker- place 1 slice white bread--put a general tablespoon or 2 of your favorite pie filling. Top with second slice of white bread. Close sandwich cooker and toast in fire. Serve with Cool Whip or Ice Cream. Done when bread is nicely toasted.

spreerider
08-22-2008, 11:29 PM
1 cup short grain rice
1 pack red curry paste
1 tin of canned ham
1/2 cup dried red lentles

add rice to 2 1/2 cups boilding water cook for 5mins then add lentles cook 5 mins then add curry paste cook untill all water is gone then add cubed ham
tastes damn good on a cold hiking trip

lineofsight
08-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Damn am hungry now. Wonder how quick the fire dept would arrive if I lit a little campfire in the back yard.