PDA

View Full Version : Shock collar training ...

Slime green cat
06-06-2008, 05:57 PM
I just picked up a remote shock collar to dial in my gsp :lol:
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with these collars ?? do's and dont's ?? how did it work for you ??

It came with a training guide book and dvd that I am going to watch and read tonite, but I was just wondering if any of you could shed some real world experience ?

I want to use the collar for all around basic training, and also upland hunting .
My dog is already 3 and has never hunted, although he is very "birdie" and locks up solid on point on everything from cats to squirells :lol:
This will be my first year hunting too, so we will be learning together .
He is a natural hunter, when I walk him off leash in the bush he does his thing well .... nose to the ground and up in the air and very very alert ..... only problem is he gets a little too far away from me to be useful if we were hunting .
I want to train him to stay closer and hopefully guide him with voice commands, and then of course eventually retrieve the kill once we get to that stage :biggrin:

Any bird dog guys wanna help a noob :-) Thanks ...

Brad .

Buck
06-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Introduction to the collar is very important.Put it on the dog for a couple of weeks without using it.The manual should have good instruction just be sure to use the appropriate setting and timing is everything.To have the dog retrieve reliably you will want to Force Fetch the dog.Get Evan Grahams Smartfetch DVD and follow that.This can be purchased at GUNdog supply in the states.A good forum to learn about training GSP's is Versatiledogs.com.If your dog is out a long way you normally hide on the dog this teaches them to keep you in sight but your dog is a little older not sure it would work as well.

fowl language
06-06-2008, 09:48 PM
if your collar has a ring tone be sure to always use it first or a whistle before you have to use the collar and soon you will only have to use the ring tone or whistle ,remember consistency is the key,al i had to do was use the collar once with the ring tone and he caught on now he comes to the ring tone.oh well another 300 down the drain....fowl

dakotawinters
08-29-2008, 01:12 PM
i used the shock collar on my had first to understand the intensity levels. And the diff. buttons, I respect the collars as much as my dogs do. LOL. Think of it as an extension to the leash. And don't over use it. I would practice as much as you can before the big "hunt day" so that safety never becomes an issue.

LOC
08-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Like everyone else has said, make sure you use the correct setting / correction level. I also tried mine on my hand to know what it was doing, I have yet to go above level 4 ( of 8 ) and usually am at 2.

THe DVD and book that came with it had some good tips etc.

ryanb
08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Don't over use and NEVER use it in anger or for punishment.

Be careful what commands you use it for. IE if you use it to encourage the dog to give up something he doesn't want to, he might start dropping whatever he's carrying when you use it for other commands.

I always say the command, buzz him, then immediately say the command again so there is no doubt as to why he is being buzzed.

rocksteady
08-29-2008, 02:17 PM
I have found them very useful, when used on my children at a young age...:-o:-o:-o Just kidding....

We have one for our 1.5 old rottie and she responds very well to it when she does not listen, or decides to leave the yard without permission...

Islandeer
10-01-2008, 02:41 PM
All good advice, one more ... electricity is a tool of force, nothing more. The dog must know why he is feeling the heat in order for it to be effective. Great for recall issues. :mrgreen:

BlacktailStalker
10-02-2008, 07:20 PM
4-5 days of wearing it should be sufficient before use.
Take it on and off many times in a day so they dont clue in to the 'action" of having it put on, not just wearing it. They'll just see it as you handling them and everything is normal.

Jimbo
10-02-2008, 10:54 PM
My dog loves his collar. He can hardly sit still when I get it out of the cupboard because he knows he's going out somewhere. The trick is to use only just enough correction for the situation and that varies alot for a birdie dog. And the collar has to be way tighter around their neck than you would believe.

Sasquatch
10-03-2008, 12:08 AM
They may be the best way to train a bird dog....and to ruin one.

Enjoy your first hunt with him. If he is as birdy as you say, very little correction should be needed.