PDA

View Full Version : Getting A New Rimfire

BigDuke86
06-03-2008, 09:37 PM
So I got a 10/22 in late 2007 becasue I liked the whole idea of moding it. However after a few months of having it and looking into getting all the parts (barrel and such) it seems it's just too much of a hassel then I though it would be. So my brother just got his pal and he wants to build an ultimate so I sold the 10/22 to him with the intentions of getting a more accurate out of the box gun. I have pretty much decided i'd go for the cz 452 or 453 either american or varmit. I'm just not sure which and is the whole single set trigger of the 453's really worth the extra? I'm looking for a all purpose gun good for bench and hunting. Also any suggestions for rings (as i hear they are very specific) and a scope would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jacob

Mr. Dean
06-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I have a 452 american. Love it.
You'd be hard pressed to find better, in that Price range imo.

I have a Tasco 3-9 on top. It'll knock a chicken head @ 65 yrds, if the conditions are right. HATE the scope though. I want something 'better'.

Don't know a thing about the trigger on the 453.

brian
06-05-2008, 08:49 AM
I have a cz 452 target barrel. Great little gun. I got the heavy barrel because it has a similar weight and handling to my centerfire rifles (for practice). My only real complaint would be the trigger. It was crisp at first but developed a ton of creep. I just had Reliable do a trigger job on it and they did a fantastic job. So we'll see if it holds. I don't know anything about the 453 trigger.

Edward Teach
06-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Marlin 39a...!

Junorr500
06-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Savage MArk 2

sealevel
06-05-2008, 07:50 PM
I have a little stevens crackshot. Originaly it was a 25 rim fire ammo is unavalable so i turned a 22 barrel to fit it . Now i am waiting for a 17cal liner to put in the original barrel . Oh ya its a take down so as long as the exteractor will work it will take about 30 seconds to switch.

BigDuke86
06-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Well I'm not really looking for a lever as i've never really been into them as for the savage i looked into those as well but i dont see nearly as many people talking about them as the cz and the one i'd get the classic is more expensive then the cz so i dunno i'm still leaning towards the cz. I think tommorow i'll go down to reliable and check a few out and maybe grab one.

Paulyman
06-06-2008, 07:29 PM
I have a 452 american. Love it.
You'd be hard pressed to find better, in that Price range imo.

I have a Tasco 3-9 on top. It'll knock a chicken head @ 65 yrds, if the conditions are right. HATE the scope though. I want something 'better'.

Don't know a thing about the trigger on the 453.

I can nail a empty shotgun shell at 65 yards with my 10/22.I dont think one can do much better than the 10/22 IMO.

BigDuke86
06-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Well thanks for everyones input I ended up getting the 452 american. A gorgeous gun...now i just can't wait to get it to the range next weekend to see how she shoots.

todbartell
06-07-2008, 08:54 PM
452 are nice - 453 with the set trigger would ensure a great trigger :D enjoy your CZ

BigDuke86
06-07-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks I sure will . Yeah I though about the 453 with the set trigger but right now I didn't wanna spend that much extra for the trigger when I’m super happy with just the 452 over the 10/22. Plus it sounds like I can get the creep and pull down to where I’d like it with very little money and effort. But maybe one day I’ll get a 453 varmint maybe in .17HMR.

Mr. Dean
06-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I can nail a empty shotgun shell at 65 yards with my 10/22.I dont think one can do much better than the 10/22 IMO.

Cool. :cool:

I also have an old Lee Enfield that'll do it, IF you hold your chin at the right angle, take up all the slack outta the trigger while remembering what grindy notch to stop at, then breathe and push the trigger 'sideways' and back.... Everytime!

BUT this fella doesn't want to know this OR my experience w/ the 10/22. He's had one and for whatever reason, he wanted to move on. I just responded to his questions, keeping on topic. :wink:

I'll also add to my original response that yes; I would like to see my trigger tuned on the 452. I find that IF I'm not *somewhat* careful, I will pull shots to the right when in the field. Right now I compensate for this with 3 or 4 clicks of windage after leaving the comfy confines of a bench and sandbag rest, or start aiming for the left side of the head.

After the 3rd miss on a bird, I usually remember all this. :roll:
But it is less confusing than that old Lee Enfield!

BigDuke86
06-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Ok well to clear things up i'm in no way shape or form trying to diss or whatever the 10/22. It was a great gun but in the end it ended up not being quite what i wanted. However I am fortunate enought that my brother has shot my 10/22 and said he wanted one so I told him he could have mine and after lots of research i decided that the cz was what i really wanted and he took my 10/22. It was just personal preference.

Mr. Dean
06-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Shoot the sh*t outta it and have some fun!

FWIT I have found Federal GameShok 38 gr hollow points, to be the best ammo in mine. American Eagles work OK but are a definite 2nd. They tended too string.

Bought a couple of different 500 round bulk paks... Gave them all away.

Lemme know IF you get the trigger worked - Thanks.

BigDuke86
06-08-2008, 03:11 AM
Yeah for sure. Right now i have some cci mini mags, cci blazers and lapua super club i'm gonna try. I have lots of american eagle and remington thunderbolt but i think i'll leave those for the 10/22. I'll have to try the gameshok but i didn't see it when i was at reliable. Do you remember where you got it from?

B.C.Boy(100%)
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
If you can find one the Old Winchester Model 69A (bolt, 5 shot clip)
I did see one listed on EE forum of CGN just recently.

I have a 10/22, a Cooey 600, and a 69A, and I must say even with just peep sights on the 69A it leaves the rest in the dust, I am very happy with it.

I would like to handle one of the CZ's to see what all the talk is about on them one day.

rishu_pepper
06-10-2008, 09:57 AM
Well thanks for everyones input I ended up getting the 452 american. A gorgeous gun...now i just can't wait to get it to the range next weekend to see how she shoots.

This thread is useless without pics :biggrin:

I have the exact same gun, 452 American. Do yourself a favour and get a trigger job done (Eric Brooks kit on cz452.com is only $15), it will shrink your groups considerably. It's my range gun so trigger is LIGHT. Equipped with a 6-24x Tasco. I'm not too fussy about the optics though it could be better, but I can't justify $$$ optics on a $360 gun ;-) Maybe when I get an Annie :cool:

Where did you get it from?

BigDuke86
06-10-2008, 11:26 PM
I knew that was gonna be asked but just didn't get around to loading some onto photobucket. But here they are.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/BigJacobD/CZ452AmericaRightSide.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/BigJacobD/CZ452AmericaLeftSide.jpg

As for a trigger kit...my dad owns a spring manufacturing company so I can have any kind of spring i want made for it. So I'll probably just go in and make my own then i can fine tune it real well. But yeah I don't wanna go too low as i plan on hunting with it a little too. And yes I also went with the tasco cause for now it's more than enough for me but i went for 2.5-10. However I spent significantly more than $360 on the 452 mine was $530...i guess prices went up. Oh and I got mine from reliable in Vancouver on saturday.

rishu_pepper
06-11-2008, 10:45 AM
The thing that's nice about CZ is that it usually comes with pretty nice wood, very classy looking.

The Tasco is actually pretty decent for its price. By no means it is like my VX2 or Nikon Monarch in terms of clarity, but it serves its purpose.

Mine was $360 since it was used (you could barely tell), bought off CGN.

Enjoy it, once you get the trigger done, it'll be a heck of a shooter for sure! Mine likes the Eley expensive stuff and Lapua Super Club, makes nice one-holers at 50.

Wolfman
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
I knew that was gonna be asked but just didn't get around to loading some onto photobucket. But here they are.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/BigJacobD/CZ452AmericaRightSide.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii246/BigJacobD/CZ452AmericaLeftSide.jpg

Nice looking burl there too ;-)

Wolfman

BigDuke86
06-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Hahaha thanks...my mom was gonna throw it out or give it away and i guess my grandpa made it up(never met him) and i wanted it so i figured it would make a good base for taking pics. And Rishu I have some of the super club but couldn't find any eley(not that i looked very hard) but I have like 7 or 8 different types of ammo to try from the super club to several cci types and winchester target and a couple others. Now i just have to find out what it likes. It's so hard waiting for saturday to roll around. Ah well i guess i have no choice. So if anyone eles is going out to the poco range on saturday i'll be there around 10am or so and all i'll have is the CZ:D

rishu_pepper
06-11-2008, 10:36 PM
You can find Eley stuff in both Reliable and Italian. Expensive yes, but definitely high quality.

And PoCo on a weekend is a gong show, count me out :biggrin:

Mr. Dean
06-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeah for sure. Right now i have some cci mini mags, cci blazers and lapua super club i'm gonna try. I have lots of american eagle and remington thunderbolt but i think i'll leave those for the 10/22. I'll have to try the gameshok but i didn't see it when i was at reliable. Do you remember where you got it from?

I bought a brick from WSS in Kammy. I also found some here, in Langley.

I had mine at the range yesterday. I and it, consistently shot 5 round groups into a 1/2" at 50m. Every 'other' group did have flyer's but this isn't match grade stuff either....

PLEASE, let us know your results. You have several good offerings to experiment there. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, coming from a decent shooting 10/22 - You shouldn't be disappointed.

anglo-saxon
06-12-2008, 10:47 PM
By far my 10/22 has taken more critters than all my other rifles put together. Beaver, muscrat, fox, coyote, squirrel, ferrel cats, not-so-ferrel cats, magpies by the dozen, 1 X neighbour's lamb (broken leg), 2 X calves (birth defects) and 1,000's of gophers. Oh, and one very sweet but utterly blind and rather senile old collie (bless her!). Stock gun, never had a mod (wirth mentioning) done to it. 4X Bushnel sportview. Great little gun!

However, for accuracy I would have to say that my son's Savage 93 in .17 HMR is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever had the pleasure to fire. It is sub-MOA right out of the box, even with a rather rigid trigger. One ragged hole at 30m. A little over 2/3" at 75m (zero wind). I was very impressed! Now they have the accu-trigger, too, it doesn't bear thinking about.

I once spent a lazy hour on a hot afternoon chipping fragments off a tennis ball-sized rock, firing the Savage off a Harris bi-pod at 148m (lased). The bullets went exactly where I laid the cross hairs, every time. Flat and fast! What a fun gun to shoot. She's got a 3-9 X 40 Simmonds on her.

That 17gr bullet is quite subject to wind, but is extremely accurate in calm conditions. I got it as a gopher gun, so wind is fine as few gophers come out when it's windy anyway.

As for Eley ammo...why bother with that expensive match grade stuff unless you're shooting match? I found it to be too weak to reliably cycle the action on my 10/22. In my Walther P22 pistol, Eley hollow points don't even mushroom.

CCI Stingers are a good choice, although for a 10/22 I'd replace the stock buffer pin with something other than stock iron (such as nylon - the only "mod" I've made to mine). I also got great accuracy with Remington Yellow jackets out of a hexagonal-barrelled Marlin Golden 39AS I once owned). Truncated cone being the thing to avoid out of a 10/22, though.

Mr. Dean
06-12-2008, 11:10 PM
...As for Eley ammo...why bother with that expensive match grade stuff unless you're shooting match?
Agreed. But if it's handy and you're curious; what the hell - You won't know until you try.

Nothin wrong about goin into an informal Fly-Shoot, with an ace up one's sleeve.

buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..... splat!

BigDuke86
06-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Yeah it wouldn't be something i'd shoot on a regular basis but it'd be fun to try some of that expensive rimfire ammo. Oh and i didn't really mod the 10/22 it has a weapon kraft bolt buffer an auto bolt release and a allen head take down screw. Either way so far I like my choice of gun and soon i'll know i made the right choice...plus my brother will still have the 10/22 so it's not like i won't be able 2 shoot it. Actually that was another reason although not a big one i wanted a different .22 was my bro wanted a 10/22 to mod so rather than have 2 of them i figured he could take mine and i'd get the cz.

BigDuke86
06-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Well I got out to the range today and like Rishu predicted it was quite the gong show. We had to wait over an hour just to get one bench between 3 of us. But anyway I took my brother and his buddy and it turns out unlike last time I was there I had to stand over their shoulders watching them shoot becasue they waited to long to send out their applications and are still waiting for licences. So sadly I didn't get to shoot the cz much but I did get to send a few shots down the range and it was awsome. Going from the stock 7-8lbs trigger of the 10/22 down to the 3 or so on the cz made a ton of difference. It was also definatly more accurate and that was just with cci blazers. So I don't know when i'm gonna get another chance to get to the range to try out all the different ammo's I have but i doubt it will be until they get their licences so I can shoot and not have to watch them the whole time. So all in all I love my choice and can't wait to see what it can really do.

rishu_pepper
06-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Nice to hear you got a chance to shoot the CZ (even though it was only for a short time). If you are satisfied with the stock trigger, all the power to you, but I'd get it a bit lighter and get rid of the creep. Really close up those groups.

PoCo range on weekends = bad idea. :biggrin: Lucky you even got a bench. Although on weekday afternoons (when I usually go up) there are only a handful people there.

BigDuke86
06-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I'm still not sure on the trigger. I think I need to shoot it a few more times to really decide. But it's a definate improvement as is. As for poco on weekends all I can say is a busy day there is better than no day. I usually work till between 5:30-6 and I live in Richmond so 45min or so each way plus rush hour traffic would probably double that so really all I can make it is on weekends. So if anyone knows anywhere closer where you can plink with a .22 legaly i'd love to know about it.

Mr. Dean
06-16-2008, 03:28 AM
I *think* PoCo has evening, indoor .22 shoots on a weekly basis. Might be something to consider.

rishu_pepper
06-16-2008, 08:21 AM
I believe there is a small bore night, I think it's Wednesday but call them to check, I've never been.

Sapperton might be an alternative if rimfire is your only gun. Give James (Phoneguy) a PM, he's a member there and has good things to say about it.

Phoneguy
06-16-2008, 10:45 AM
=

Sapperton might be an alternative if rimfire is your only gun. Give James (Phoneguy) a PM, he's a member there and has good things to say about it.

Sapperton will be shutting down for summer holidays on about June 23, restarting in September when kids go back to school. The range is 22 long rifle only (except for one Canadian Olympic team pistol shooter who practices there). It is a 20 yard range, and single shot. Mondays is junior night (up to ~18 years old) Tuesdays is seniors. Thursday night and Sunday is air rifle. If you are looking for a range to go and just go bang bang bang this is not the one. (I kinda like bang bang bang on my 10/22). Essentially we train on firearm safety and shooting accuracy. Adult night is a bit more relaxed but still everything is done by the steps. People are welcome to come twice without joining, then they are asked to join. A family membership is $70?/year and includes your BCWF membership. There are single junior and adult rates too. We encourage kids to be ~10 years old before they start, physical and mental maturity being the issue. The club has the rifles there with the target sights on, you don't need to bring your own, nor do you need a PAL, as you are shooting club guns, and supervised.

That being said, I did take my 10/22 in with the new scope to sight it in, shooting in a slow and controlled manner.

http://www3.telus.net/dallydog/sapperton/index2.html

James

BigDuke86
06-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Hmm that sounds like it could be fun. I don't mind shooting slow so long as it's close by (gas is gettin pricy) it's to bad it's not more than 20 yards but it's better than nothing. And no rishu .22 isn't my only gun I have a 7mm mag and a 303 and looking into a 300 win mag but the .22 is cheaper and somewhat more fun. The others are for hunting not plinking.