PDA

View Full Version : Inflatable as a waterfowling boat?

Phoneguy
05-30-2008, 03:22 PM
I am thinking of options. I want/need something that I can take with our travel trailer for fishing when we are camping. I am just wondering if anyone has any observations re using an inflateable as a hunting platform.

Any thoughts?

James

lip_ripper00
05-30-2008, 03:38 PM
I have a 10' zodiac I use for floating rivers while moose hunting it is small light and will carry 1200 lbs, one of the best boats I have bought, wide, stable and alot of fun when we get out fishing with the family. weights 90 lbs and rated for 10 hp, but they don't take kindly to sharp pointy things:razz:. You will run out of roon before you max the weight, looks funny with 4 quarters and 2 hunters with gear coming down a river:oops:

Buck
05-30-2008, 09:29 PM
I use one of those fishhunters for getting around in the marsh and flyins.You would probably have trouble breaking through ice while late season waterfowling.

Ian F.
05-31-2008, 08:17 AM
There's inflatables, and then there's inflatables!

The zodiac style by whomever makes it are great boats, and heavier then one thinks, and about as tough as needed unless abuse is the place you start.

Next would be the new generation of river craft, various forms from pontoons, to rafts, to quasi canoe's, good boats, tough, more portable

Last is still where My mind goes when someone says inflatables, dinghies and alike made from vinyl, they are beach toys IMHO and although they'll do the job they don't offer ME the peace of mind I want in a boat.

Don't look past a canoe, as universal a boat as was ever created!

Ian

B.C.Boy(100%)
05-31-2008, 09:30 AM
I've used a Coleman 2 kid blow up boat from Wal-Mart $25 gets me lots of crab, have used my belly boat on waterfowl before, works great, fish & fowl at the same time.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/b-ruddick/IMG_0007.jpg
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/b-ruddick/IMG_0007.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Phoneguy
06-01-2008, 10:05 PM
There's inflatables, and then there's inflatables!

The zodiac style by whomever makes it are great boats, and heavier then one thinks, and about as tough as needed unless abuse is the place you start.

Next would be the new generation of river craft, various forms from pontoons, to rafts, to quasi canoe's, good boats, tough, more portable

Last is still where My mind goes when someone says inflatables, dinghies and alike made from vinyl, they are beach toys IMHO and although they'll do the job they don't offer ME the peace of mind I want in a boat.

Don't look past a canoe, as universal a boat as was ever created!

Ian

Definately thinking of the zodiac form, not the beach toy. I would want to be able to put a motor on it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I won' be doing anything quick, unless a deal falls out of the skies!:smile:

blindman
07-19-2008, 08:10 AM
I second the canoe for duck hunting. I have a solo that I camo painted and used it for transportation only; no dog, just 36 decoys and the other duck stuff. I've moved up to a Marsh Rat and a BBSB and a dog, do I don't use that canoe any longer. Much safer than a cheap inflatable.

Freshtracks
07-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Phoneguy,

I wouldn't recommend an inflatable as a boat to actually hunt out of. It would be ok for transporting to and from the marsh and/or local foreshores ... but IMO not as durable as an aluminum or fiberglass punt. Price wise, you could get a used punt ... some come up for sale less than a quality inflatable and it'll give you far better results to hunt the birds properly.

riflebuilder
07-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Back a few years I worked for a hatchery and we had a 18' Zodiac with a outboard jet. Some of the places that we took that boat is pretty wild. Make sure you get the solid bottom variety as they are far more durable

Deadeye
07-19-2008, 05:34 PM
The RIBs (rigid inflatable) that Riflebuilder mentioned are definitely leagues above a bumperboat. Pricier but worth it IMO and should be doable with a travel trailer. A little more 'pointy-thing' friendly as well, lol.

Just a thought, but what about installing one of those tilt-down boat racks (like on slide-in campers) onto the trailer ? That would let you take a cartopper if space is the reason you're looking at inflatables.

I'm just starting to build an 8X10 rigid pontoon boat that breaks down to fit in the back of my Ranger. Building your own might be another option although it would exclude inflatables unless you got the tubes made. I know that there's an outfit in the LM that makes inflatable bladders, not sure who.

MidnightRun
08-01-2008, 06:04 PM
................. I know that there's an outfit in the LM that makes inflatable bladders, not sure who.

Polaris Inflatable Boats