PDA

View Full Version : Blazers and Montecs??

Stone Sheep Steve
05-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Anyone shooting 2" blazers and Montecs??

I just switched over to 2" Blazer Vanes but I also recently switched to Montecs.

Anyone had any tuning issues with this combo??
I went with a straight fletching set up and and shooting a Whisker Biscuit.
Target points are shooting well and flying true. I realize I have to find out how the Montecs are flying myself but was wondering if anyone had any difficulites with Montecs and shorter vanes.

I need to pick up a practice Montec head and get a broadhead target:?.

SSS

Bow Walker
05-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I've been using 2" Blazers on my shafts for about 5 years now - ever since I started fletching my own. My broadhead of choice is the Razorcap 100 grain. Never had a problem with flight characteristics that couldn't be tuned out with just a little bit of effort. In fact, I've tested them out to 50 yards and found them to be great.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/RAZOR_CAP_100.jpg

There is a broadhead pit at Victoria Bowmen Club, where I used to do my testing. You can safely shoot up to 50 yds there. I strung a plastic pop bottle from the header of the roof over the pit. Got it first try and every try after that.

Good combo - Blazer's and Montecs.

Gilmore
05-30-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm also interested in this one as I just did the exact same thing, except mine have a right offset.

Chad

Bow Walker
05-30-2008, 08:35 AM
I used to try to fletch mine with a helical, but the darn things are too short to be curved. Now I use an offset and it seems to work just fine.

I do put them as much to the rear of the shaft as I can. As long as they clear the string at full draw, they're good to go. Putting them as far back like that (about 2" from the nock) seems to help stabilize the arrow better than having them further up the shaft.

pupper
05-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Hi SSS, I used to shoot that exact setup, blazers with 100gr montec G5's out of a WB. I found that I got better broadhead flight with 4" left hand helical fletching marco vanes than I did with the blazers. You can also get the pre season montecs that will allow you to practice with so you dont dull those nice hunting broadheads. here are some relevant links to this topic:
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/G5_Montec_Broadheads
http://www.huntingtipsandtricks.com/a/Broadhead_Tuning_Tips

hope this helps

Jetboater
05-30-2008, 09:27 AM
I shoot a 5 inch helical fletch with montecs,I want my arrow spinning as hard as it can, keeps the speed reasonable, and I want to find the arrow afterwards big fletches are easier to find after passing through an animal,
all small fletches do is give you a little more speed, therfor missing the animal alot quicker...
just my 2 cents

Stone Sheep Steve
05-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks all!

Even though I'm a newbie, I had sneaking suspiscion I may have issues with that combo:-?. I was shooting Tekan II's but could not stand the fact that when I pulled them out of the quiver I had to put the blades back in place before nocking them.

I was having problems with peeling off my old crappy factory vanes shooting through the WB(no matter what I treated the WB with).....so I switched to the Blazers and a new adhesive at the same time. No more problems.

As a newbie I was just trying to keep things as simple as possible.....apparently, easier said than done:-?.

First thing I'll most likely have to change is go back to helical vane.....I would like to stick to a Blazer but we shall see how things fly...........

SSS

pupper
05-30-2008, 10:55 AM
just a quick tip for shooting through a WB, use a dap of glue in front and just behind each vane. It will keep the vane from starting to peel in that week spot.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-30-2008, 12:47 PM
just a quick tip for shooting through a WB, use a dap of glue in front and just behind each vane. It will keep the vane from starting to peel in that week spot.

Never seemed to work for me.

I've gone to a glue that will not fail.... set up is almost immediate.
Loctite Prism 445.

Just don't make mistakes...... not looking forward to re-fletching:-(.

SSS

Kitimat Killer
05-30-2008, 02:36 PM
hey SSS im went to the blazers also but shooting expandibles im using the Grim Reapers Razortips and they are flying true out to 60 yards the only thing i find at 60 there a little low but not much i've killed all my animals with these and love them

Bowzone_Mikey
05-30-2008, 05:09 PM
2' Blazers and Montecs will work just fine ... there are thousands of people killing stuff each day with that excat combo

greybark
05-30-2008, 08:16 PM
:wink: Hey S S S , I take it you are using a mech release . You can get good performance with smaller vanes but 3113 has it right . Finger shooters should use the longer vanes due to the induced " archers paradox" .
Cheers

danfloris
03-21-2009, 07:14 PM
i shoot a 2 blazer with montec g5's

i have a easton full metal jacket 400 arrow and from 10 to 60 yards(60 is as far as Ive practiced with) they fly the best Ive ever had any broad head fly.

flyfishinmidget
03-21-2009, 08:11 PM
i shoot 2in blazers and g5 125gr montec i had to shoot 1 target pt and 1 broad head and just kept mooving my sight till they both started hitting in the same spot took maybe 10 or so shots . i had too shoot 1 hunting broad head because the practice heads do not line up with my vanes they are about 1\4 to 1/2 a blade out so i now have 125 and 100 practice heads for sale

blaker_99
03-21-2009, 08:27 PM
the best combination i found for blazers and montecs was straight no helical and try to line up all you blades with your vanes. just one less thing to play a factor in the overall performance of the bow/arrows/broadhead combo. i've shot montecs with blazers out to 70 yards and they fly awsome. try to get together with a buddy who knows a bit about tuning as a bow out of tune will do nothing but magnify your mistakes in both form and equipment.

Ambush
03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Get rid of the Whisker Biscuit. And didn't you win a Rinehart target in the HBC hunting contest?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Get rid of the Whisker Biscuit. And didn't you win a Rinehart target in the HBC hunting contest?

Still patiently awaiting the arrival of the Reinhart target.

I've got a "slightly" damaged Montec that I'll try to relegate to target tuning.

SSS

bowhunterbruce
03-24-2009, 11:09 AM
hey sss i went to the arimid kv 350's last year with the 2 in quick spins and the montecs,although my arrow speed slowed i found the combo awsome as the penitration was way better and the spin stabilized the arrows flight .i also made sure that the blades matched the vains.i took a deer with them at 40 plus yrds with a complete pass through going through 1 rib bone on the entry side.
bhb