PDA

View Full Version : Region 4 Archery Only Opportunities

J_T
07-05-2005, 12:26 PM
Man, take a look at the new regs and see what is shaking out in Region 4.

There is a strong nucleus of bowhunters there and finally after about 10 years of making recommendations and fighting the BCWF and those who support the status quo there are some great new bowhunting opportunities coming up this year in Reg 4.

We need more of this innovative thinking across the province. (well, at least closer to the lower mainland so I can access it....:wink: )

JT

mcrae
07-09-2005, 05:03 PM
I agree it is a great chance for bow hunters so good in fact I think I am going to get a recurve and give it a try in 2006!

I personally don't know any bow hunters but allot of guys talking about crossbows to take advantage of the Sept 1st to 9th any elk season. You can also hunt Whitetails from the beginning of December to the 20th I believe so I am really thinking of giving archery a try to expand my season! I seem to be on the computer too much as well so a hobby that requires allot of practice might help that:wink:

J_T
07-10-2005, 11:37 AM
McRae, good call on the "requires a lot of practise". Archery is very therapeutic. Depending on your situation, flinging a few arrows each night after work in the back yard is a great way to unwind, and give yourself the confidence you need going in to the hunt.

There is a lot of difference between the effective range of a crossbow (60 - 80 yards) and a recurve (10 - 25 yards). With elk and whitetail that's a significant difference.

If your serious about the recurve, I've got some connections in the Nelson and Kootenays that can help you with gear and selection decisions.

JT

greybark
07-11-2005, 07:58 PM
:) Hey McRay555 , Give it an honest try and set a goal of the late season Archery Hunt and the "Famous" Rendell Ck Dinner in Rock Ck . You would be welcome there.

I suggest you phone Monty Evin of Windfeather Archery Supplies in Cranbrook 250-246-8565 . He is very good to deal with and will answer any concerns .
Don`t be afraid to inquire about a used unit (just as efficent as a new one) and zero in on your custom dream bow later when you know what you want . Heck you just may win that special bow at the Dinner. Some used units are listed on the trading post section of the Tradition Bowhunters of BC web site and Monty may have some. (www.kics.bc.ca/tbbc (http://www.kics.bc.ca/tbbc))
;-) Good luck to you in your new adventure .

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

mcrae
07-11-2005, 08:00 PM
J_T

I sure could use some help with the archery! I am very new to it so anybody in the Nelson area would be great! We don't seem too have a local archery shop that I know of? My big concern at the moment is selecting the proper arrow for my bow. I just bought Thunderstix's Martin Hatfield so I should be able to start flinging some arrows in a couple weeks. I will not be hunting with my recurve this year I just will not be able to get enough practice in. The archery idea first popped into my mind elk hunting last year in 4-18 my wife called in a beautiful bull to within 10 yards of me last year but he was only 5x5:(. We called in two more bulls that week to within 20 yards but just not enough points! It was an incredible experience. Anyways thanks for the help.

McRae555
jmfranklin@shaw.ca

greybark
07-11-2005, 08:01 PM
:redface: Hey Mckray .I goofed Monty`s Phone# is 250 -426-8565:redface:

Kirby
07-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Mcrae, I know Nelson ain't exactly next door, buy you can check out Jay, at Secret Creek Supplies, http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/supplies.html in Trail. He doesn't have much online store, but he's got a decent shop set up. I dealt with him a bunch last year when I was working down there. Good guy, and LOVES to talk hunting.

Kirby

J_T
07-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Mcrae,

Call Doug at home 354-1167 or during the days at work 354-4834. This is a business so ask for Doug. Monty Evin of Windfeather Archery Traditions in Cranbrook is without a doubt the best source for information and supplies. Doug can put you in contact with the bowhunting community in the Nelson area.

JT

mcrae
07-12-2005, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys!

Clint_S
07-12-2005, 07:40 PM
Hey
Mcrae555 if you ever make it up the valley Ken leslie has an archery shop at the bottom of Pedro Creek, just before Winlaw.

levind
07-14-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm looking to do a little white tail and elk hunting up there sept 1 to 5 with my brother and dad but never been there before. Anyone want to share a bit of information on were might be a good place to start. I know its a touchy subject so pms are welcome but not expected. Just thought i would give it a try.

thanks

kevin

mcrae
07-15-2005, 04:37 PM
Depends what you are looking for. I can help you out with the West Kootenays but I don't spend much time in the East Kootenays. I have hunted the East Kootenays but my brother lives in Cranbrook so its always to his secret honey holes:wink: They can be pretty diffrent areas depending on where you go. Let me know if your looking for info for the West Kootenays.

McRae555