PDA

View Full Version : Crow hunt

rishu_pepper
05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Anybody do some serious crow hunting here? Always seemed like an interesting, lesser-known part of hunting, but these guys are mighty smart and very challenging.

Where does one go crow hunting anyway? BCIT doesn't count :tongue:

If someone needs their property cleared of these pesky birds I volunteer to help ;)

The 'Hummer'
05-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Just getting into the Varmint/Predator aspect of hunting and I was contemplating doing something similar. I was thinking of first trying to determine their fly route to & from a roosting area, then try a Owl and/or call set up somewhere along that line for a start.

MattB
05-25-2008, 08:39 PM
I try to run 'em over everytime they are on the highway...*******s are way too smart and take off every time! They are the ultimate road kill species there is IMO.

Wolfman
05-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Dude, why would you want to hunt crows?

Wolfman

Gateholio
05-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I sure liek crow hunting.

I do it every now and then in my free time..Calla bit them BAMBAMBAMBAM:mrgreen:

Shoey
05-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Well, I don't wanna brag, but thanks to my 1200 fps pellet gun that I picked up in the US, I've been killing hundreds of the ****ers in my back yard.

They just keep coming...

The 'Hummer'
05-25-2008, 09:08 PM
I picked up an Foxpro FX5 caller and 'apparently' that along with a Jack In The Box and an Owl decoy works well. Anyway, I'll try it out when I get the chance and see. Retired so I have the time, after the 'Honey Do' jobs.:wink:

todbartell
05-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Ive called them in with the Fx3 I had, sit and wait with shotgun...it's alot of fun

Sideofabarn
05-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Sorry Rishu, I can't resist...
Got any good recipes for eating crow?

rishu_pepper
05-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Sorry Rishu, I can't resist...
Got any good recipes for eating crow?

The only reason I asked about crow hunting LOL :razz:

http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

No just kidding, I'll think twice before I eat them.

Who's got a good spot that I can go to for crows? I'm thinking of picking up an owl decoy next time down to the US. I figure it'll be good practice for waterfowling season.

Oh and MattB, I've ran over one years before in my car (not on purpose). I thought, like any normal crow, it would hop out of the way at the last second, but this particular one pushed his luck and it went right under the car. My brother looked back and was like, "WTH bro, that crow is lying upside down, feet sticking up." LOL

The 'Hummer'
05-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Ive called them in with the Fx3 I had, sit and wait with shotgun...it's alot of fun
Gotta' ask as you're the guy that would know, what actual call would you say works best? What call were you using on your FX3 if you don't mind me asking?

rishu_pepper
05-25-2008, 09:34 PM
I've been thinking to ask, is the FoxPro worth every penny for all you users out there? I want to make the plunge, but it sure is pricey, and I don't do coyotes enough to really justify the cost (unless I can call in other stuff too like crows and other shoot-able stuff lol).

todbartell
05-25-2008, 09:42 PM
I had bought alot of the Foxpro crow sounds, crow party, crow distress, etc etc

they all seem to work

fowl language
05-25-2008, 09:44 PM
rishu, believe it or not we use a duck call. blow it hard with lots of rasp and it works like a hot damn. if you like i could show you how if you want to hook up,a wood call works best....fowl

rishu_pepper
05-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Damn TB, that FX5 of yours is more expensive than some of the guns I own! I'd sure like to borrow it though. Hell maybe I'll just come up during summer and shoot 'em up with you.

fowl,

Sure I'd be up for it. Any weekday after 3-4pm is good with me, and 2 more weeks until I become unemployed for the summer, so I've got tons of free time ahead of me. PM me or something

Anyone else want in on this? lol

The 'Hummer'
05-25-2008, 10:05 PM
I had bought alot of the Foxpro crow sounds, crow party, crow distress, etc etc

they all seem to work
Just checking the list of calls I got with my caller;
- Crow Fight
- Dying Crow
- Crow Gathering and
- Struggling Crow.
I'll give them a whirl. Thanks for the help & info.

Phreddy
05-26-2008, 08:45 AM
They taste like hell and benefit the land by eating garbage and litter that slobs leave at campgrounds so, as wolfman asked....."Why kill them?"
Just more ammo for the anti's who have us all painted as bloodthirsty killers.

Barracuda
05-26-2008, 09:04 AM
I use a mouth call -olt perfect crow model 9- After a bit of practice it works very well. I used to spend a fair bit of time in a ghillie and other camo calling crows right in and then gettin them with either a .22 when they land and try to figure out the call or a shotgun but once you shoot them with a shotgun it really lessons your chances of calling more in. If you ever get a chance to find a rookery and start hitting the call at sundown the sky will turn black with crows if it is a big one:biggrin:

Its been while since i have spent any real time calling crows but i would say spend the money on a good mouth call (under $20 i bet ). I have some crow decoys around but the dogs use them as toys now it seems but they did help a bit, the owl decoys are are easy to find but really need some gussying up to het them to give results .

I have some johnny stewart tapes,(predator and crow calling) that work well also. (tape cassette and a loud speaker) .

Barracuda
05-26-2008, 09:06 AM
They taste like hell and benefit the land by eating garbage and litter that slobs leave at campgrounds so, as wolfman asked....."Why kill them?"
Just more ammo for the anti's who have us all painted as bloodthirsty killers.

Perhaps one should look into crows a bit more:cool:

rishu_pepper
05-26-2008, 09:32 AM
I also bought a mouth call down at the States a while back, but I have nowhere to use it..? Is it usually private land you guys hunt in or Crown?

johnes50
05-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Very smart birds. When I was a kid we used to hunt crows with a owl decoy and crow calls and hide in the tree line. It would work maybe once per field then the crows wouldn't come back.

Mr. Dean
05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
I do it!

Its a BLAST and its very challenging.
I use a couple of mouth calls. Once you get the "language" sorted out, they're very reliable at bringing them in. An opened garbage can in the backyard can work wonders also. :rolleyes:

If the 1st one's a screamer (crow), several shooters can clean house pretty good, as they'll show up in DROVES. If you take out the sentry and it's a bang-flop, start up on the crow distress call. If the sentry flies off before getting a shot off, there's a 'come back' call that he'll turn around on.

Crow crackin' is pretty cool stuff. It'll hone ANY hunters edge. I use a single shot .17 Diana, air rifle (regi required, 1000 fps) and my best solo score is 7 in one sitting, using my camper as cover. Lost count of how many are fertilizing the surrounding bush but I know this; Nothing eats them. Not even another Crow, or Yote, for that matter.

Learning their talk is key, as is concealment. There are a couple of squawks that'll send them the other way - Learn the language! AND stay hidden!!

The Squirrel Ranch provides this challenging hunt also... All available for the one access fee. ;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6981&cat=500&ppuser=1206

islandboy
05-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I talked to one farmer who shot every crow on site as he had experianced having a crow blind one of his newborn calves. I have seen crows tear open a wooden birdhouse to get the songbird hatchlings inside. I do not think crows are in any danger of extinction.

Other than that there is information at:
http://www.crowbusters.com/whyhc.htm

johnes50
05-26-2008, 01:08 PM
They are considered a Class 'C' pest as per the Regs and can be shot with or without a hunting license.

They do a lot of crop damage is the main reason to hunt them. I never had a farmer refuse to let us shoot crows or woodchucks on their property.

The bonus is, if you get to know the farmer and are safe around buildings and livestock, you can sometimes get permission to hunt deer on their property as well. And by then your a pretty goos shot.

Mr. Dean
05-26-2008, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE]I'll be the third person to ask this question, why shoot crows?
Past Conservation effects now have this bird population out of control. They are rampant. With the enormous #'s of Crows, comes detrimental effects of other bird populations because Crows are nest raiders. Not only do they feast on eggs, they'll also attack hatchlings.

Starlings are another bird of class C pest.

Hunting down these two species is an honest measure of Conservation - GO GIT'EM!

The 'Hummer'
05-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Pardon me for sidetracking for a moment. A friend of mine recently moved to the Barrier area and I was wondering if there is anything much in the way of varmints or preds to hunt in that vacinity? Perhaps I should've started a new thread.

Mr. Dean
05-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Pardon me for sidetracking for a moment. A friend of mine recently moved to the Barrier area and I was wondering if there is anything much in the way of varmints or preds to hunt in that vacinity? Perhaps I should've started a new thread.

LOTSA Yotes in the hood... Lynx also.

huntcoop
05-26-2008, 02:34 PM
I'll be the third person to ask this question, why shoot crows?
Keep in mind that the question is what it is and not an attack at those who do hunt crows. When I shoot something it gets utilized either meat, hide or to eliminate a direct nuisance. There have been countless opportunities to shoot crows but I've had no reason to do so, however I am open to change my habits if I can justify it :smile:.

You said it yourself, "...to eliminate a direct nuisance."

huntcoop
05-26-2008, 02:36 PM
You want a challenge, try hunting Ravens, now those are smart birds :smile:

Leaseman
05-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Hope you aren't shooting ravens... it is my understanding that they are protected!!!

Mr. Dean
05-26-2008, 03:16 PM
You want a challenge, try hunting Ravens, now those are smart birds :smile:

Just check the synopsis 1st...

Barracuda
05-26-2008, 03:26 PM
you are allowed to shoot raven and just like any other Game animal there are bag limits, seasons specified and MUs rules you will have to follow.

boxhitch
05-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Starlings Crows and Magpies can all be grouped as nest robbers or songbird killers
Starlings have a morbide sense of humour and will attack a nest, destroy the eggs, and lay one of their own. The parent has no idea, its just an egg, and will continue to incubate and hatch the chick, and then rear it. Kinda pathetic to watch a couple of tiny Wrens or Finches trying to feed a Starling chick that outweighs both the parents several times over.
So besides honing your shooting skills, DO IT FOR THE LITTLE GUYS

Fisher-Dude
05-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Rishu started this thread - like all good Canuck fans, he's eating crow! :-P

ruger#1
05-26-2008, 07:13 PM
I have watched crows attacking and then flying away with baby ducks.I sure have fun at the mill shooting them. I got three crows last week.

rishu_pepper
05-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Rishu started this thread - like all good Canuck fans, he's eating crow! :-P

Who says I was a Canuck fan (anymore)? :tongue:

Sounds like lots of you guys do some crow hunting here and there. I wish I lived on farmland :biggrin:

huntcoop
05-26-2008, 09:41 PM
you are allowed to shoot raven and just like any other Game animal there are bag limits, seasons specified and MUs rules you will have to follow.

Thank-you.

pmj
05-26-2008, 10:24 PM
I heard a big racket in the back lane on the weekend. The crows were up to something. They had found a squirrel nest and were attacking it. I saw a crow fly off with one of the kits in its beak. The mother squirrle was running on top of the fence line with another kit wrapped around its neck and chest. The crows were trying to swoop down to knock it off the fence. I sent the crows off with some rocks. They came back several times before abandoning the hunt.

In the spring crows hang out in our back yard waiting for the nesting birds to take there first flight from the row of nesting boxes we have. They swoop down and pick them off.

kastles
05-26-2008, 11:00 PM
ive done a bit of looking around on the net and cannot find any of those "kill-zone, heart, lungs, ect" any where. any help would be appreciated. :)

The Hermit
05-26-2008, 11:30 PM
If you have cherry trees... the crows will be along... hang one upside down in each tree... harvest the fruit!

huntcoop
05-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Hope you aren't shooting ravens... it is my understanding that they are protected!!!

They are not protected. Check the regs.

mrdoog
05-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Unless you consider regulating something a form of protection.

huntcoop
05-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Unless you consider regulating something a form of protection.

I'm sure that in the eyes of the Ministry of Environment regulated and protected are very different. :wink:

Mr. Dean
05-27-2008, 12:31 PM
Conservation measures take on many forms. Some call for increased hunting, others, decreased pressure. Call it what ya want.

All depends on the species and the MU ---> ALLWAYS check the synopsis BEFORE taking 'on',,, well, anything! What can seem 'right' at the moment or in one MU, can turn into a BIG no-no in another, with some explaining to do.

My twoonie for the day.

huntcoop
05-27-2008, 12:48 PM
Right you are.

rishu_pepper
05-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Maybe we should organize a group shoot of crows, like heading to Mr. Dean's famous "Squirrel Ranch" together and see who can blast the most crows. :biggrin:

Shoey
06-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Hehehe, just got my 7th crow, on pace to blow last years record away.

Mr. Dean
06-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Hehehe, just got my 7th crow, on pace to blow last years record away.

Are you just idly picking them off the wire or are you calling them?

Shoey
06-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I call them in during a lull, which is near to never.

I play around with them using the call, see how close I can get them, or what kind of chaos I can rage.

But, 95% there just there, destroying my gardens...

Mr. Dean
06-02-2008, 11:11 PM
I'd love to learn how too tell them; SCRAM, for GOOD. DON'T come back.

EVER!

Shoey
06-04-2008, 09:53 PM
I'd love to learn how too tell them; SCRAM, for GOOD. DON'T come back.

EVER!

We used to shoot one, and hang it in the garden...worked great...for a while.

Now we just plink away...

LeverActionJunkie
06-04-2008, 10:07 PM
We used to shoot one, and hang it in the garden...worked great...for a while.

Now we just plink away...

This is the best way I have found to get rid of crows, for sure. Plus it makes my old lady happy with me :)