PDA

View Full Version : crossbow stuff

BRrooster
05-23-2008, 08:49 AM
I just bought myself, (and my kids) a crossbow. What kind of things will I
have to look for or watch for to keep it in tip top shape? What do people
use to "lube" the arrow channel? Ive been bowhunting for a while and know about waxing the string and stuff.
thanks

OOBuck
05-23-2008, 11:13 AM
use to "lube" the arrow channel? Ive been bowhunting for a while and know about waxing the string and stuff.
thanks

What kind of crossbow?

Most manufactures sell there own brand of deck & string wax.. I use excaliber deck & string wax on my Horton and have had no problems. With the deck lube a little goes a loooong way. I use the string wax after about 40-50 shots.

bcfarmer
05-23-2008, 05:12 PM
check your allen screws continuously. If your crossbow seems to be getting louder when you shoot it...the screws are getting loose!! ask me how I know this:oops:

bcf

Bow Walker
05-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Good advice from both people - although your rail lube and string wax does not have to be "brand specific", it just needs to be for Crossbows.

Be sure to check your string regularly for any signs of wear and/or fraying - keep it waxed.

Check your cocking/locking mechanism regularly to keep it free from dirt and grit...and don't let anything get in the grooves of the cams/idler wheels if its a compound crossbow.

And definitely check all the screws, bolts, and nuts for tightness.

Welcome to Archery!

thatskindafunny
05-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Any screws that might come loose just put a tiny little bit of varnish on them and tighten them back up. I've been doing this with my rilfes for 37 years also.

Bow Walker
05-26-2008, 06:05 PM
thanks
Checkout Adam's (Brother Jack) 5 points about shooting a crossbow. They are right on the money. It's post #11.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=22233