PDA

View Full Version : South Africa

1/2 slam
05-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Well I finally did it:lol: I'm booked for next April in SA. Kudu, Nyala, Bushbuck, Wildebeest, Impala and Warthog. I can't wait. Chamanzi safaris.

Rob
05-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Wow I bet that wasnt cheap! Be a great trip though.Rob

DieselDog
05-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Good for you! You are going to have the time of your life. Start preparing now as there is lots of things to be done. Contact the travel clinic to see what shoots and vacinnes you require as some of them involve 2 or more over a few months. Have all your firearm import permits done in advance etc,etc... I will be heading back to nambia and Botswana in June of next year, cant wait. Does your outfitter have a website, maybe post a link so we can check it out. What is the size of your PH's concession or ranch. I hope it all works out for you. Good Luck

The Dawg
05-21-2008, 08:00 PM
TAKE ME WITH YOU!!

I can try to crunch up small enough to be checked baggage :biggrin:

Sunny
05-21-2008, 09:25 PM
that's what my dream too anyway have a nice trip and don't forgot to tell us your story

boxhitch
05-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Good going RD. I bet the hit list grows by the time you get back though. might as well, while you're there.
Need a .375 H&H ?

interceptor
05-21-2008, 11:54 PM
That's great 1/2,

I have a mate going over in 3 weeks for his second Bowhunt Safari.

He says it is the best but it is also addictive, he has booked trips for 09 & 2010 already.

Have a great time and take plenty of pics to share with us less fortunate souls :)

Cheers Noel

Elkhound
05-22-2008, 08:10 AM
now we can't wait for the field reports and pics. Nothing like living a hunt through others.:redface:

rishu_pepper
05-22-2008, 11:11 AM
What, no lion and elephants? :lol:

Sounds like an opportunity of a lifetime. I hope to do a safari hunt in a couple decades. :cool:

David Heitsman
05-26-2008, 07:51 AM
That sounds like fun 1/2 Slam.

Why didn't you invite me??

I'd like another crack at a kudu!

For that matter, I'd like a crack at a waterbuck, bushbuck,
eland and nyala as well.

Maybe if I blow the kid's inheritance completely I could get a crack at a one of those killer buffalo.

Asper
05-29-2008, 12:46 PM
where abouts in rsa? seriously, i have a purpose of asking

1/2 slam
05-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Asper........Kwazulu-Natal

Now David why don't you tell everyone that you are in fact going with me on this adventure:wink::wink:

David Heitsman
05-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Wanted to let you do it half pint, I mean half slam!

Counting the months!

scottgreen
05-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Wow, I'd love to go on a $50,000 Lion hunt there...Shame I don't have the money lol.

I imagine it would be really great though. Good luck!

boxhitch
05-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Now David why don't you tell everyone that you are in fact going with me on this adventure
Only three days for a decision ? Good going, guys.

Asper
05-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Asper........Kwazulu-Natal

Now David why don't you tell everyone that you are in fact going with me on this adventure:wink::wink:

Good God if this forum was slower to load up you woulda already got screwed. You'd maybe want to pm me your ph# bro. You AINT going to take a decent kudu outta the kwazi,Eland MAYBE,Good warthog,NOT....about 5% of the kwazi is as serengeti as it looks in pics.95% is rock with the water only close enough to the surface to support the aloh growth, ecspecially anywhere within an hour radius of the village of Dundee, (ecspecially west)... Man I was in the middle of taking the worst screwing known to man. Had to eventually call PHASA in on it. If'n you want details I'm trying to help. If not its nice to see the zulu history

David Heitsman
12-22-2008, 08:24 PM
Just turned in our points for our tickets today.

British Airways ex Seattle via Heathrow.

Now I'm getting jacked!

Somewhere in RSA my nyala is getting bigger even as I type this!

whitespringer
12-22-2008, 08:49 PM
I was in South Africa in 91, spent six weeks. Tremendous country. Did the camera safari in a toyota tercel. Saw just about everything. Would love to go back for a hunt. Spoke to a PH from SA at the outdoor show at tradex. Can't take home the meat for obvious reasons. Wonder if you could have some of it made into Biltong ( Jerky). I lived on that stuff in 40 Degree temps in the bush. Thirsty!:lol:

wildman 22
12-23-2008, 12:02 AM
i would rather do several fly in trips in b.c. rather than go there.have fun and good luck.

Gateholio
12-23-2008, 01:27 AM

Now I'm getting jacked!

Just make sure your gun permits are in order for stopovers!:eek:

Gateholio
12-23-2008, 01:30 AM
i would rather do several fly in trips in b.c. rather than go there.have fun and good luck.

Good thing they make chocolate AND vanilla ice cream.:cool:

Asper
12-23-2008, 03:50 AM

Now I'm getting jacked!

Got everything in order for U.S. air space and bang sticks?..Through my up bringing I always thought the brits to be the gun sticklers, ecspecially since it was right after O tube bombing I went. They were the best. The number two hassle was USA. But right up there with a strong lead. Is everybody sitting? The arabs... And I quote"Due to recent world events we cant be to careful"...eeeeeyyyyaaaaa oooookkaayy. Dont know what your hold over at Heath is, but I'll tell you weather your into this royal crap or not(and I'm way not) if you have a 2+ hour hold get yourself into town. Its only like 10 minutes if I remember. When you pop up,hang a left and see that frikin palace... Cause man, all the pictures in the world dont touch the true visual insanity of it.

Hey your goin to have a whale of a time

David Heitsman
12-23-2008, 11:22 PM
We're renting over there. I've given up flying firearms internationally a few years ago. They will charge for ammo only. Should be less than $100 and they assure us the firearms are top quality.

It just takes one more piece of stress away.

Asper
12-24-2008, 02:27 AM
Its to late for me to tell you all the reasons you WANT your own banger in RSA. All I would accomplish now is stressing you out. Not goin to do that. I will say this. When it comes to SA you go look in the mirror right now. The fellow you see in there is the only one that an assurance means didley from. All others are liars crooks and thieves. I'm not saying all others over there are. I'm saying you should go with that kind of skeptisism. Cause most over there are entering with the "He cant harm us if we dont live up to our end"approach. Seriously bro. Watch everything like a hawk. Dont let your gaurd down one holy minute. To the indigenous lying is part of life and really not a wrong thing. And most whites over generations have taken a "if you cant beat em join em"attitude.. Whitey had me hunting kudu for 6 straight days in an area where he himself had paid for all kudu bigger than a dog to be tranquilized and exported out of. I'm paying him. Ya. paying for what. If things dont look right over there about any single thing your going to do get the poop no matter what ya gotta do.. I'll give you an example as to their ability to turn a blind eye to the truth. You been following mugabi's position on malaria in the news? Nuff said

Kudu
12-25-2008, 04:30 PM
What Asper says is true, to a point - It will help if you go in with your eyes wide open (I’m South African so I speak from experience)

The Land owners are as a whole are OK - There are of course always the rotten apples’ in the barrel - And these sharks will try and take you if they think that they can get away with it.

Hunting In Kwa Zulu Natal - Target species for this area is going to be bush buck - bush pig (not to be confused with warthog) Nyala, Black wildebeest- Grey Duicker.

Natal is very tropical - much of the land is covered in sugar cane and forestry...

Kudu are a bush veldt animal - (go to the Eastern Cape - Steyterville/ Jansenville - Or Mpumalanga - Pietersburg /Louis Trichardt areas are best), Same can be said for blue wildebeest Impala and warthog

Gems buck are a plains game like spring buck so you need to go to areas like the Kalahari / Karoo for them - they do not do well in the bush veldt.

You will find that in most areas the trackers / skinners and general camp staff are the indigenous black guys - unless you can speak one of the languages like Zulu, Xhosa or Ndebele - be careful - many times the expectations are bigger than the rewards offered by the visiting hunter - always discuss this with the land owner / Ph so that there will be no misunderstanding at the end. Do not expect to maintain valuables if you leave them laying around - Never give a valued knife too a skinner - the chances are good it will get "lost".

simply put - go in with your eyes open...

If you guys are going out there and want specific help before hopping on the plane to Cape town or Johannesburg and blowing a fortune - give me a shout - I will be happy to get a few mates to check out your destination, or even put you on the right track with good hunting and ethical - honest people.

I’m sure you would do the same for me next hunting season when I start hunting in BC

Regards
Mike

Asper
12-25-2008, 05:01 PM
It dont get better than that

David Heitsman
02-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Hey 1/2 pint er I mean 1/2 Slam,

How 'bout those innoculations eh?

Yesterday got a tetanus in the right shoulder and typhoid in the left, had to sleep on my back last night. They both still hurt tonight, 24 hours later.

I think I'm done just have to confirm on the malarial zone.

1/2 slam
02-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Took 3 days before things got back to normal. Dang they hurt!!:wink::evil:

David Heitsman
04-12-2009, 10:05 PM
7 more sleeps!

1/2 slam
04-13-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm like a kid on Christmas eve:biggrin:

BiG Boar
04-13-2009, 10:44 AM
What will be the big game of choice you will be after this trip? Kudu? Cape buff? Or some wierd antelope?

1/2 slam
04-13-2009, 10:48 AM
For me Nyala, Kudu, Bushbuck, Warthog, Impala and Wildebeest

d6dan
04-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Wow!. The Kudu sounds good. I bet your going to enjoy every minute. Good luck and looking forward some killer pics...cheers..d6dan

David Heitsman
04-13-2009, 07:31 PM
For me, Nyala, Kudu, Bushbuck, Eland, Waterbuck and Zebra. Maybe we can twist their arm for a special recession rate on Mbogo! I was also thinking about a Croc.

BiG Boar
04-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Well I guess youre both in Africa right now and let me guess they dont have internet. Well I hope you are putting the hurt on a few of the animals. Wish I was hunting right now, instead I am at work, comenting on posts that I wish I was the poster of. Good luck gentlemen.