PDA

View Full Version : Do you take advantage or "Archery Only" seasons?

J_T
07-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Well, some always look to the month of July as the start of summer. I always use it as the milestone that identifies, only two months until the September 01 opening of the archery only season.

I'll be heading to the East Kootenays for Elk again. No LEH.

For me the Archery Only season is my season. Generally uninterupted by gunfire. I still hunt in the GOS and I hunt with those that use a rifle, but I totally love the archery only season.

I hunt elk in the beginning of September and Whitetails the end of November.

I'd sure like to see more open archery opportunity. With declining hunter numbers, bowhunters are rising.

:grin:

JT

Kirby
07-04-2005, 05:19 PM
I definatly take advantage of it. first, I love archery, and bowhunting, second, its a day in the field, which is always a good thing, if there was a muzzle loader only season, I'd be in for that as well.

kirby

willyqbc
07-04-2005, 06:03 PM
I book a week off for the early hunt here and another week off for the late one....love that december bow season!!:)

Chris

Nails
07-05-2005, 08:20 AM
The island archery season opens aug 27th for two weeks. I'am off on opening day and should be ready to go. :)

Tonto
07-05-2005, 11:23 PM
I woulds like to see it more like Alberta (or even Manitoba) when it comes to bow season.
Manitoba Bow deer starts in Sept. and runs until the opening of Rifle in Nov.
Seeing how the rifle season is only 2 weeks long and the bow runs season for 2 MONTHS...it only makes sense to take up bowhunting if you want to maximize your time afeild.

Alberta is really good as well.
From what I understand , you can not buy a moose tag for rifle over the counter, its all LEH. But you can walk in and buy a moose bow tag no problem.
Same goes for elk and deer in alot of areas.

My buddy "Cappy" (bchunting member..) moved out there a couple of years ago and is just now really getting into the thick of it. But he says that Bow is the way to go out there.

I think that BC has over looked the bow hunter as a managment tool, and I personally
think that a 9 day opening at the start and end of the season is a joke.

I love the fact that our regular seasons start in Aug. (early moose) and continue through Dec. but I still believe that more unique oppertunities should be open to Bowhunters.
Why not open a couple of tags for Elk on the island just for Bow hunting etc.

With time constraints and life rushing us by, I have not actually hunted with my bow for several years now, but If the regulations where a little more accomidating I would
definatly start to utilize it again....just my thoughts.

ringo
07-06-2005, 06:57 AM
East Kootenay Elk is Either Sex for bow, sure opens the door for opportunity!

J_T
07-06-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi Ringo, I think the point is though, the Reg 4 any elk season is just the tip of the "potential" ice berg of hunting opportunity potential if the rest of the biologists and those making recommendations where more open to creative hunting solutions.

JT

Thunderstix
07-06-2005, 03:23 PM
I certainly take advantage of it, but so far I have not taken advantage of the animals.

Hunter4life
08-04-2005, 09:05 PM
In the couple of years that i've been shooting my bow i have hunted with it in the december season but i have yet to get one in the freezer:( i have come within bow range of some bucks but the loggers never seem to cut down the right trees!

oldtimer
08-05-2005, 04:43 AM
Definitely !!!!!!!!! Willyq ( my son ) tells me when to book time off and where we going and I just follow along. Mike

Walksalot
08-05-2005, 05:38 AM
I take advantage of the bow seasons but I also bow hunt during the rifle season.

rock
08-05-2005, 07:50 PM
Probably the best time to go, outdoors in september I love, you can say my anniversary is on opening day for bow, I've missed it 3 times in 21years, thank god I married somebody who understands.

Canuck2
08-05-2005, 11:56 PM
Durn right I do!

I far prefer the archery seasons; firearms season gets like Grand Central Station. However, our group drew moose tags this year and the others won't let me 'play' with my bow until there's meat on the pole.

That still allows sufficient time to chase whitetails around with archery gear; thankfully I usually run into enough of them that I eventually get a good opportunity or two. Sure is fun!