PDA

View Full Version : Water dogs

Wolfman
05-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Hey guys.

Anybody here have a 'water dog' - ie, a retriever type dog who isn't as gung ho about water as you think he should be?

I have a four month old Chessie-lab cross who started out super curious and into the water but now he's stopped showing interest. There was never any traumatic event or anything and being in Vancouver, Koda gets regular exposure to the beach, streams, lakes etc.

I was wondering if any of you have had this happen and how you have gone about getting the interest back into the dog.

Regards.

Wolfman

Marc
05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
I have two labs, the male will only go up to his chest in the water unless there is something to retrieve. My female will take any opportunity to to swim or roll in the mud.
That being said when a duck hits the water my male is in there like no tomorrow. He loves to retrieve but couldn't care less about swimming just for the sake of it.

Get your dog hooked on retrieving then re-introduce the water. Don't force your dog to the water. I was in the same boat as my Chessie didn't know how to swim until he was 7 months of age. Now he retrieves and plays in the water.

Dano
05-19-2008, 11:00 AM
My dog didn't take to the water until over 7 months old. (I was beginning to wonder....:)). I was told not to worry as it was spring and the water was still cold. When she finally did go in, she swam with her head up and ass semi down. Took a while but she figured it out.
My lab I had as a teen would run to the edge of the water and watch the other dog go get the bird, then run up beside the dog all the way back (she was 9 months, it was november). Next year she was awesome and next to my dog Maddy, the best retriever I've had.
Stick with it and don't be in a hurry, the water will get warmer and when your dog goes in, it will be much more pleasant and easier to get it back in again.
Dan

Jimbo
05-19-2008, 04:44 PM
Wolfman, I would pick a spot with a gradual sloping bottom, low or no current. Get a pair of tall rubber boots or waders and walk out with the dog's favourite toys. Call her/him to you and show the toys. When the dog seems comfortable at chest depth, gradually move out till Koda is swimming. Make it a game and if the water is too cold, try it later on again.

Wolfman
06-09-2008, 02:51 PM
Seems my earlier difficulties with my goldie/chessie cross have evaporated.

He's great at retrieving so I got him one of those little kids' hard plastic pools and filled it with water out in the back yard.
I'd start throwing whatever it was I wanted him to retrieve into the pool and after a few tries he was right in there. Now he goes into the pool just for fun and the last sunny day we had I went out and saw him just lying down in the water, playing.

Next stop will be the beach!

thanks for all the good advice guys!

Wolfman

newhunterette
06-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Hunter who is a black lab - I think she was born in the water because she will find every puddle of water she can get into - she has been loving the water since we got her - when we go to the cabin as soon as we open her crate to let her out, she is in the lake - she stays in all day and by the end of the day she is so tired she crashes then back at it the next morning - she even chases us when we are in the boat and leave her on shore - she jumps in and tries swimming out to us - crazy dog - we throw weighted toys for Hunter, as she enjoys diving under to retrieve them - she will even dive for rocks if she gets bored and throws them up in the air to find again - as I said crazy dog

Sissy on the other hand, our blue healer, wont hit the water unless she fears one of us is in danger (according to her) - if we are just swimming, she will only go in as far as her feet touch the ground but if we go too depe and she thinks we are in trouble she will swim out to rescue us

Sasquatch
06-09-2008, 04:40 PM
I would find a spot where there are a few dogs swimming, on a hot day. Once he sees them doing it he may take the plunge.

ruger#1
06-09-2008, 05:03 PM
My two German short hairs love the water. i just found a toy like a ball and they keep retrieving it. The one just likes to go for a swim, And try to eat the bubbles.

Bow Walker
06-09-2008, 05:09 PM
Wolffie - take your dog to Trout Lake, there's a dogie beach there and it's off leash. Lottsa dogs to socialize with and a gentle, sloping beach for him/her to get acclimatized. Take a ball or toy or stick and a couple of towels - one for the dog and one for you.

Wolfman
06-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Wolffie - take your dog to Trout Lake, there's a dogie beach there and it's off leash. Lottsa dogs to socialize with and a gentle, sloping beach for him/her to get acclimatized. Take a ball or toy or stick and a couple of towels - one for the dog and one for you.

Hey Bow Walker:

I currently take him down to the dog-park/beach at Vanier park. He had a gas there the other day which was very cool. Buncha dogs all off leash and capering in the waves...

Trout Lake I'll have a look at...though I'm surprised trout Lake doesn't glow in the dark after all the stuff that's been dumped in there over the years....;-)

Wolfman

Bow Walker
06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
:eek: Makes it easy to find "puppy" in the dark.... :rolleyes:

Iron Glove
06-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Our Toller was a bit reluctant to hit the water at first so we would just wade into the Lake and let her follow if and when she wished. Can't keep her out of the water now. We canoe, she sits in the canoe for awhile then over she goes and swims beside us. We go for a walk on the KVR and she jumps in the Lake and will swim for a couple of KMs beside us.
Trout Lake is iffy - there can be a lot of larger aggressive dogs there ( hey, it is the East End after all :mrgreen: ) and the water quality is questionable. Our Vet for whom our Daughter worked for many years did not recommend Trout Lake and said he made quite the income from it. We go to the Lynn River in North Van as we are East Enders too and its a quick hop over the bridge.

Wolfman
06-11-2008, 12:33 PM
My dog makes a much bigger splash than he used to as well ;-)

When I got him he was about 10 weeks old and was a really small little ball of fur. Now, at nearly 5 months, he weighs close to 70 pounds and has already gotten bigger than my 13 year old Briard.

When he hits the water watch out! ;-)

Wolfman

Schutzen
06-11-2008, 05:00 PM
They go thru that phase sometime. When they are young and inexperienced swimmers they often splash a lot of water into their ears and they don't like that much. As they mature and swim more they get better at it and don't thrash as much water into their ears. Thats prolly all it was.
Glad to hear your pooch is digging his pool! LOL