PDA

View Full Version : seafood lovers

newhunterette
05-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Shrimp Creole

This recipe is wonderful to serve guests for dinner, but also so quick and easy to prepare it's great as a mid week meal when time to cook is limited. Put the pot of water on for the rice and by the time the rice is cooked, so is the rest of your dinner!

1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 cup celery, finely chopped
2 green peppers, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter
1 15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 bay leaves
1 pound raw shrimp, cleaned and deveined
3 cups hot cooked rice

Cook onions in butter for a few minutes then add celery, green peppers, and garlic. Cook until onion is tender.
Add tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Simmer, uncovered for 10 minutes, adding a bit more water if it becomes too dry.
Add raw shrimp. Heat to boiling. Cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes longer, or until shrimp are pink but still tender.
Serve over cooked rice.

Easy Shrimp Scampi

You can start with raw or precooked shrimp. If you are using the precooked variety, cook them just long enough to heat them and coat them with that wonderful garlic butter sauce.

1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/8 cup olive oil
4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup white wine (optional - see Variations below)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Place butter and oil into large sauté pan and heat to melt the butter. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add wine, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and the shrimp. Cook until shrimp turn opaque or pink, stirring occasionally. Stir in parmesan cheese before serving.
This is great served over angel hair pasta (or steamed rice if you prefer).

Variations

This sauce cooks so quickly that to time the recipe perfectly, start the sauce just as you add the pasta to the cooking water. If you are using fresh pasta, which cooks much faster, put the pasta in the cooking water just after you have added the shrimp to the saucepan.

I add chopped cooked asparagus to my shrimp scampi recipe and add the cooked pasta right to the pan with the shrimp. The pasta gets basted with that wonderful sauce and is even better I think. Just add a salad and dinner is ready.

Some people say not to add parmesan cheese to a sauce with lemon. I say, it's delicious - go for it. I add lots of parmesan cheese to this dish.

If you don't have wine or don't want to use it, add an equal amount of pasta cooking water to thin the sauce a bit.

Perfect Summer Grilled Shrimp

5 to 6 garlic cloves, chopped
2 to 3 teaspoons ginger, grated
1 cup teriyaki sauce
2 cups clamato juice
1/2 lemon squeezed (or 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
2 1/2 pounds shrimp with shell on

Prepare the shrimp marinade by combining the garlic, ginger, teriyaki sauce, clamato juice and lemon juice.
With scissors, cut the shrimp shell and remove the black vein. Leave the shell on. Put shrimp in a large bowl and cover with the marinade. Marinate for about 1/2 hour before grilling.
Preheat the barbeque to medium. Grill shrimp for 1 minute then turn over, cover the grill and cook for another 2 minutes.

Here is a tip: You can use shelled shrimp, just don't marinate for too long or the lemon juice will begin to cook the shrimp. Marinate for about 15-20 minutes before cooking. Watch shrimp carefully when they are on the bbq, as they cook quickly, especially without the shell, and you don't want them to dry out.

To die for crab cakes

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup hot milk
1 bay leaf
1 pound crabmeat
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
2 green onions, diced
1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
dash worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste
1 cup breadcrumbs, regular or Panko
1/4 cup butter

In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Do not brown. Gradually stir hot milk into flour mixture until it forms a smooth sauce. Add bay leaf and cook for just a few minutes. Remove bay leaf and chill.
Squeeze any liquid from the crabmeat and add it to the flour mixture. Add red pepper, onion, breadcrumbs, cayenne, lemon juice, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Cover and chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
Form crab mixture into 2" balls. Roll in breadcrumbs and flatten. In a skillet, heat butter. Add crabcakes and brown on each side.
Serve crab cakes with a dollop of the garlic lemon mayonnaise sauce.

Garlic lemon mayonnaise
This recipe is a tasty topper for many fish dishes.
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise with the lemon juice, garlic, salt and black pepper. Mix well and set aside.

You will notice that the recipe calls for either regular breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs. Panko crumbs are Japanese breadcrumbs. They tend to result in a lighter, crispier version of whatever you are breading. Either kind is fine and regular breadcrumbs are certainly part of the traditional recipe.

Summer Crab Dip

1 can crab meat
1 - 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 green onions, chopped (green part only)
Thousand Island salad dressing

Mix the first three ingredients together, then mix in the salad dressing. Keep adding in the dressing until you get the consistency you want. It's that easy!
Serve with crackers.

Thousand Island salad dressing is a sweet dressing. You can substitute another sweet dressing. Try Catalina. The sweetness of the salad dressing is a wonderful blend with the crab.

This recipe can easily be multiplied to feed as large a crowd as you have.

Mexican Cream Cheese Crab Dip

12 ounces cream cheese (1 1/2 packages)
1 cup sour cream
1 can crab meat, well drained
1 cup seafood sauce
1 1/2 cups grated cheese, a mix of cheddar and mozzarella cheeses
1 green onion, finely chopped
2/3 cup diced green pepper
2/3 cup chopped tomato

Beat cream cheese and sour cream together until smooth. Spread evenly in a shallow serving dish. Cover with a layer of crab meat, then with a layer of seafood sauce.
Sprinkle cheeses, onion, green pepper and tomato on top. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Serve with tortilla chips.
Yummy!

wickit
05-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Mmmm they all sound so good can't wait to try them.

kennyj
05-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks Ali,they all sound great!I think I'll try the crab cakes.Just happen to have fresh crab in the fridge.
Kenny

newhunterette
05-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks Ali,they all sound great!I think I'll try the crab cakes.Just happen to have fresh crab in the fridge.
Kenny

glad to be of help Kenny - anytime

if you have a hankering for something just let me know - I am certain I have a recipe for almost anything hangin around lol