PDA

View Full Version : Test Bear Meat for Trichinosis at Ministry of Agriculture

pmj
05-11-2008, 10:32 PM
This is for the Abbotsford location serving the Fraser Valley. To contact your nearest Ministry Of Agriculture Resource Management Branch to see if they do the test in your area follow link: http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/Contacts.htm#RMB

In Abbotsford this is where to take a sample of your bear meat to get it tested for trichinella round worm (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis).
I confirmed this information by phone on Friday May 9, 2008. Please follow all the instructions.
The cost is $30.00 plus gst.
The following is required for the sample:
A chunk (small fist size piece) of one or more of the following in the prefered order: tongue (best place to test), cheek, diaphragm, part of muscle.
(Last year they told me providing all 4 would be best.)
Packaged really well. Triple bagged. Fresh or frozen.

I talked on the phone to Murdena. She works in Animal Health where they do the test. She advised me of the following: The test you want is called the Histo test. They take a slide sample and examine it under the microscope.
I advised her I would be posting this information on Hunting BC forum. I also checked, they do eat Tim Horton donuts, please addres the donuts to "Animal Health". For pr. purposes please let them know you heard about them on Hunting BC.

Your samples can be dropped off at the reception at the main entrance or reception at the other entrance to Animal Health.
They are open Monday to Friday 8:30 to 4:30.

Here is their location:
Ministry of Agriculture & Lands Resource Management Branch, Animal Health.
1767 Angus-Campbell Rd.
Abbotsford
Phone 1-888 221 7141
Exit 92 from Highway 1, Abbotsford Sumas north. (2nd street) right on Delair to Angus-Campbell Rd.
See map below or :http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/Contacts.htm#RMB

How to Find Us

http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/resmgmt/images/RMBmap.jpg

Steeleco
05-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Moved to this forum as it deals with the food we eat!!

eaglesnester
11-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I do not wish to sound like a smart ass here, but why would anybody pay $30.00 for a histo test to determine parasite presence in wild game. All wild game must be suspect automatically and handled appropriately. Cook all wild game well 170 degrees f internal temp for 30 min I believe takes care of these critters and handle with proper barrier protection when butchering. In other words practice safe food handling. According to Ellers and Steel 1963 edition of Vet medicine 30% of all pork produced in the United States has trichinosis present and nearly all fowl is contaminated with salmonella so you automatically consider everything suspect and contaminated and take the proper precautions in safe food handling practices

Ron.C
11-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Agree with eaglenester. And what would you do if the test comes back positive? Would you throw all the bear meat away? Or just take the precautions outlined above that should be taken when cooking any bear/pork products? And if that's the case, why pay $30?

pmj
11-17-2008, 11:43 PM
I am no expert, but I thought I would share some information I have found. Thricinosis discussions have come up several times on this site during my membership, usually during spring bear season. I thought I would save time for people and post this information. I am not suggesting you pay to have your meat tested. In previous discussions on this site, some people have said they like to have their bear steaks rare.

quote eaglesnester/- "According to Ellers and Steel 1963 edition of Vet medicine 30% of all pork produced in the United States has trichinosis present"
I thought the numbers would be better today since the Canadian pork marketing board for several years have advertised something about "it is ok to have pork pink".

quote Ron.C/ "And what would you do if the test comes back positive? Would you throw all the bear meat away?"

Some might, I wouldn't. I would make sure I take the necessary precautions.

huntwriter
11-18-2008, 08:02 AM
I do not wish to sound like a smart ass here, but why would anybody pay $30.00 for a histo test to determine parasite presence in wild game. All wild game must be suspect automatically and handled appropriately. Cook all wild game well 170 degrees f internal temp for 30 min I believe takes care of these critters and handle with proper barrier protection when butchering. In other words practice safe food handling. According to Ellers and Steel 1963 edition of Vet medicine 30% of all pork produced in the United States has trichinosis present and nearly all fowl is contaminated with salmonella so you automatically consider everything suspect and contaminated and take the proper precautions in safe food handling practices

You said it!

It's all hype with the wild game testing and I heard rumors that the Gov. is working on mandatory wild game testing policies. The Gov. just about ruined the beef and poultry industry in this province by over regulating and licensing it. Now so it seems they want to move on to wild game and hunters. It’s called Nanny Sate at work!

300win
12-21-2009, 10:19 PM

X2, Make sure the meat is fully cooked!!!!!!!!! 170F internal, freezing meat for at least 3 days at 4 F works on most game meat but I believe it doesn't work on Bear(not sure????:confused:) follow food safe handling practices!! Cheers

trapperdan2061
12-21-2009, 11:00 PM
For bear I read some where that if it was frozen for 30 day's it kills the trick.

lip_ripper00
12-21-2009, 11:09 PM
For bear I read some where that if it was frozen for 30 day's it kills the trick.

No not true!!

squamishmiles
12-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Ok, sorry for hijacking first off, but I am thinking of going for a spring bear for the first time this spring and want to know who everyone takes their bear for hams to? Will try to get the guy who butchered my doe to do it( tried his and it's the reason I want to bear hunt now) But baring that ....

Mauser7x57
11-10-2010, 09:25 AM

I have to Disagree with that statement, Not all wild meat contains Trig....And pork is no longer a worry for trig. I'm a Chef by trade and have been eating Moose, deer, and pork Med rare to med. Bear meat I agree has to be cooked well done, and cooking for 30 minutes is over kill, as long as you bring it up to 170F and held there for 5 minutes nothing will live at that temp. I would still like to enjoy the meat....30 minutes i might as well eat leather... Im not an expert on the matter but if it was tested and there were no signs of Trig, well maybe you could enjoy the meat cooked a little pink and enjoy it that much more? $30.00 a small price to pay....

Cheers....

muledeercrazy
11-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I have to Disagree with that statement, Not all wild meat contains Trig....And pork is no longer a worry for trig. I'm a Chef by trade and have been eating Moose, deer, and pork Med rare to med. Bear meat I agree has to be cooked well done, and cooking for 30 minutes is over kill, as long as you bring it up to 170F and held there for 5 minutes nothing will live at that temp. I would still like to enjoy the meat....30 minutes i might as well eat leather... Im not an expert on the matter but if it was tested and there were no signs of Trig, well maybe you could enjoy the meat cooked a little pink and enjoy it that much more? $30.00 a small price to pay....

Cheers....

exactly...

I have also been told by some pretty reliable sources that if you freeze bear meet for 30 days it will take care of the trig. I have yet to try it out..

elkdom
11-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Trichinosis has been de-listed as a notifiable disease since 2000 by Health Canada,
Health Canada records shows about 40 cases Nation wide for 1999,

way more chance of DYING , from a Deli sandwich at SUBWAY :?,

than getting sick from any wild game meat in BC !:wink:

Mauser7x57
11-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Trichinosis has been de-listed as a notifiable disease since 2000 by Health Canada,
Health Canada records shows about 40 cases Nation wide for 1999,

way more chance of DYING , from a Deli sandwich at SUBWAY :?,

than getting sick from any wild game meat in BC !:wink:

Thank you, Elkdom....I think people sometimes get so wrapped up in what the Media or a piece of paper says...Im sure 150 Years ago when settlers where eating nothing but wild raised meat the didn't think about this stuff...Im sure some of the stuff that come out of Fast food should be on Health Canada's Radar first.....Happy Eating...

Mauser7x57
11-10-2010, 08:36 PM
exactly...

I have also been told by some pretty reliable sources that if you freeze bear meet for 30 days it will take care of the trig. I have yet to try it out..

Jury's out on that one....I have heard so many Tales on the freezing side of it...Freezing doesn't kill everything...it is more of a holder so that more bacteria and worms do not grow. But i wouldn't;t say it is a way to kill. Cooking is the only way of fully assuring you have killed anything...

MuleyMadness
11-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Jury's out on that one....I have heard so many Tales on the freezing side of it...Freezing doesn't kill everything...it is more of a holder so that more bacteria and worms do not grow. But i wouldn't;t say it is a way to kill. Cooking is the only way of fully assuring you have killed anything...

That is correct, especially with wild game, and the freezing is one of the most often repeated wrongisms I have seen on forums. To kill this parasite, you must cook the meat, period. Here is what the CDC has to say, read it, and forget all the other shit people have told you, these are the facts:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichinosis/factsht_trichinosis.htm#prevention

eaglesnester
11-11-2010, 08:24 AM

Cheers....You did not read my statement carefully. I did not say that all wild game contained tric. I said that all wild game must be suspect and handled accordingly. If you wish to eat pink meat have at er my friend, you are playing Russian roulette.
Cheers& Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Mauser7x57
11-11-2010, 09:18 AM
You did not read my statement carefully. I did not say that all wild game contained tric. I said that all wild game must be suspect and handled accordingly. If you wish to eat pink meat have at er my friend, you are playing Russian roulette.
Cheers& Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

I think you may be over reacting....For one...If you are eating a piece of meat that is from a roast or a Steak, The only way bacteria will be on the meat is on the outside of thew meat, there for when you sear or cook the meat to med-rare to Medium, you are killing anything that may be on the outside...Im sorry if im like to enjoy the full flavour and taste of the meat...Anyone can say the like wild game when it taste all the same because it is cooked to crap. By no means do you eat Sausage or Ground meat anything other then well done. There is a way to get bacteria into the meat. And if you do handle you meat properly(Hanging in proper temp, keep frozen properly, clean meat) you shouldn't have to worry anyways...You should try is some time...Take that nice sirloin roast and cut a couple steaks off it and have it medium...You will be amazed....

eaglesnester
10-14-2013, 01:45 PM
For bear I read some where that if it was frozen for 30 day's it kills the trick.That is 30 days at -20C or 0F just freezing is not good enough. Have heard that in the north there is a type of trick that resists this treatment?

mooze
10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
There seem to be a number of folks out there who like to play russian roulette with trichinella. On a historical side note death by trichinella was a major hazard for polar explorers, marching gets pretty hard when you heart muscle is inflamed and failing or all other muscles are aching (and no ibuprofen!).
I think in BC every bear should get cooked well, prevalence is 12%, (see here : journal.cpha.ca/index.php/cjph/article/download/256/256‎), funny that in the province where you do not HAVE to eat your bear (SK, AB) the prevalence is close to 0%. So with all the information, (as above, this is a good one: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...htm#prevention (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichinosis/factsht_trichinosis.htm#prevention)), who wants to be an idiot?

Asco
01-10-2015, 10:04 PM
Hey Mauser 7x57

i was was listening to Steve rinella on joe rogan podcast about trichinosis a couple months ago. He is something of an expert on the subject now since he GOT IT FROM EATING BEAR RARE last year. As you prob. Know Steve is a pretty knowledgable guy, but he took a dumb chance while filming for a show and he's paying for it.

Facts: - trichinosis is a worm that lives in the meat, it's not bacteria on the meat like salmonella
- a large percentage of bears have trichonosis
- a very large (almost all) big boars have it b/c they have eaten so many other bears that might have had it ie . they played Russian roulette with raw bear 20-40 times or so.
- THERE IS NO CURE FOR TRICHONOSIS. DONT PLAY. ITS SERIOUS SH*t.
- there are drugs to control it but you will have to take those drugs forever and you will have worms in your muscles forever

all the best and be careful out there

Asco

ps im excited to go harvest my first bear this spring ��

mooze
01-10-2015, 10:30 PM
Hey Mauser 7x57

i was was listening to Steve rinella on joe rogan podcast about trichinosis a couple months ago. He is something of an expert on the subject now since he GOT IT FROM EATING BEAR RARE last year. As you prob. Know Steve is a pretty knowledgable guy, but he took a dumb chance while filming for a show and he's paying for it.

Facts: - trichinosis is a worm that lives in the meat, it's not bacteria on the meat like salmonella
- a large percentage of bears have trichonosis
- a very large (almost all) big boars have it b/c they have eaten so many other bears that might have had it ie . they played Russian roulette with raw bear 20-40 times or so.
- THERE IS NO CURE FOR TRICHONOSIS. DONT PLAY. ITS SERIOUS SH*t.
- there are drugs to control it but you will have to take those drugs forever and you will have worms in your muscles forever

all the best and be careful out there

Asco

ps im excited to go harvest my first bear this spring ��

Not exactly correct:

you can treat the early , gut stages of the larvae
you don't have to take the drugs forever, not even very long
mild forms don't need treatment although most doctors would treat to reduce parasite load

and yes, freezing is unreliable.

Papa Sasquatch
05-17-2015, 06:06 PM
If i get a small cut from my own knife while gutting (1cm) drew a little blood.
Am i doomed? Should my wife trade me in?
I am 3 weeks away from having the opportunity to seek a Doctor's advice... but that bear is delicious.

scoutlt1
05-17-2015, 06:22 PM
I am 3 weeks away from having the opportunity to seek a Doctor's advice... but that bear is delicious.

Judging from your avatar, your wife should trade you in.....regardless. :)

Papa Sasquatch
05-17-2015, 06:47 PM
. Ouch

charr
08-29-2016, 10:11 PM
Read this:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/meat-and-poultry-products/manual-of-procedures/chapter-4/annex-b/eng/1370459846651/1370459906560

wideopenthrottle
08-30-2016, 06:49 AM
Read this:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/meat-and-poultry-products/manual-of-procedures/chapter-4/annex-b/eng/1370459846651/1370459906560

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/diseases/reportable/trichinellosis/fact-sheet/eng/1330023015817/1330023110684

from the 2nd link..."It is important to note that most species of Trichinella found in wildlife are resistant to freezing, and, therefore are not eliminated using the freezing guidelines developed for pork; instead this meat needs to be well cooked."

charr
08-30-2016, 08:15 AM
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/diseases/reportable/trichinellosis/fact-sheet/eng/1330023015817/1330023110684

from the 2nd link..."It is important to note that most species of Trichinella found in wildlife are resistant to freezing, and, therefore are not eliminated using the freezing guidelines developed for pork; instead this meat needs to be well cooked."

Yes... It must be cook.

caddisguy
08-31-2016, 06:54 PM
No point testing IMHO. Trich is only out of many nasties you can pick up from bears. Pretty much every bear has tape worms. You can usually find segments in the poop. Sometimes you can even glass worms hanging out of the bears arsehole. A tapeworm is more likely to mess you up than trich, so why to we focus on trich testing? Trich or no trich, you have to cook it properly or it can mess you up.

As far as trich infections being serious, yes they "can" be. The vast majority of trich infections never cause any symptoms. Those who do have symtoms, it depends on how many cysts they consumed. You would have to eat a fair bit of rare bear to get a bad infection. Only 1% of infections are fatal. Mostly symptoms involve stomach discomfort for a week or two while the worms replicate in the stomach. Muscle discomfort starts to happen as the worms migrate and encyst in the muscles. Rarely does trich need to be treated in any way and symptoms resolve in a few months. Yes they cysts will reside in muscle tissue for over a decade before dying off and getting absorbed, but they would not cause symptoms unless someone eats you medium rare.

That said if anyone gets their bear tested and it has trich, please feel free to bring it on over to my freezer!! :D

Also worth noting, eating stuff from the grocery store undercooked can mess you up just as well. People have tried to make sushi out of salmon that was not flash frozen have found out the hard way. Fwiw I'd rather have trich than e coli poisoning.

caddisguy
09-01-2016, 05:13 AM

How did you make out? I cut myself a couple times while getting this year and even worse, jabbed myself while cleaning up the rotting junk from the skull after soaking. Nothing looked too infected though.

Surrey Boy
09-01-2016, 08:57 AM
You said it!

It's all hype with the wild game testing and I heard rumors that the Gov. is working on mandatory wild game testing policies. The Gov. just about ruined the beef and poultry industry in this province by over regulating and licensing it. Now so it seems they want to move on to wild game and hunters. It’s called Nanny Sate at work!

+1!

How did man survive until modern times?

walker1985
05-10-2021, 07:44 AM
I tried the link for testing trich but it's not working. Does anybody know if there are any places around Langley that I can do some testing at?

Fella
05-10-2021, 07:47 AM
Honestly, just assume it has trich and cook it to 165 and you should be good.

Ron.C
05-10-2021, 08:18 AM
Honestly, just assume it has trich and cook it to 165 and you should be good.

This^^^^^^^

GuloGal
05-13-2022, 07:35 AM

You can get "bear finger" (similar to seal finger) from bacteria entering an open wound while gutting. It can be pretty nasty, people have lost fingers. I know a wildlife vet who got seal finger during her PhD years ago dissecting seal carcasses with no gloves, and she still has problems with that finger. I just baby the shit out of my contaminated cuts right away and nothing has gotten bad so far. Something to bear in mind though, don't ignore a little cut if it gets angry a few days later.

Breiber
05-13-2022, 08:39 AM
I think the whole trichinosis gets a little blown out of proportion with respect to bear meat. I think this has all been covered several times but cooking to 165F internal temp will instantly kill trich. However, it will actually start dying off long before you get to that temp. The freezing process will kill some but not all, the increased acidity of cured meats will kill some but not all, trich will start dying at 137F and during the extended time that it takes to raise your cured meats from 137 to 165 all the trich will likely be dead before you reach 165. Again though, hit 165 and your good to go. Myself, anything that doesn't get cured ends up as ground meat or sausages and in both cases cooking to 165 is easy. Hams get cured with preservatives and smoked so also hitting 165 the final insurance but likely unnecessary. I have zero concern about the bear meat that we consume as a family. The only situation that I would be nervous about is cutting fresh back straps off in the field and cooking them up on a small camp stove.....This is what Rinella did. That being said I would still do it but I'd be cautious and extra careful.