PDA

View Full Version : English Springer training

Dragginbait
05-08-2008, 10:39 PM
I've got a 4 month old English Springer pup and want to know when you should start training her for upland birds and some general obedience. She seems to be quite smart and has picked up on somethings already but I don't know when or how to train her for birds. Have any of you ever tried "clicker" training or is there a good video or DVD available for such training?
I need to know everything, all the basics, such as when and how to get her accustomed to rifle/shotgun noise. Thanks in advance. Terry.

costellojoj
08-29-2008, 12:52 AM
Is she a "field bred" dog or from conformation/pet stock? Having the proper breeding makes field training easier. James Spencer has a good book, "Hup". You can purchase a copy via Amazon. The book section of magazines such as Gun Dog also advertise training videos and books. There aren't any springer clubs on the island or in BC for that matter but there are lots of folks around with springers who train them individually. Basic obedience is important too and there are a number of obedience clubs locally that you can take classes from. My favourite is NOSA (North Saanich Dog Obedience Club). They have a web site and their fall classes start at the Mary Winspear Centre Thursday evenings during Sept.

Dragginbait
08-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Thurs. are good for me. I bought some training videos that are good, but they use live birds and throwers to train the dogs. I just happen to be all out of live birds! Grouse opens up this weekend, so maybe I can get some training birds and lunch at the same time. Thanks for the info.

Jimsue
08-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Grouse make crappy training birds, they are very low on the scent scale and the feathers come out very easy. Find your local racing pigeon club and contact them, most of the guys will be dumping some birds at this time of year as there season is over. Also surf on gun dog supply.

Regards Jim

dakotawinters
08-29-2008, 12:58 PM
Where are you located? I just started too... I got the best book urban gun dog. It helps people right from the get go about hunting stuff. And getting your dog used to stuff. Getting the "live birds" are pretty tough. I have a few diff. bottles of scent that get injected into canvas dummies etc. they help tons.

Spellow
09-11-2008, 06:33 AM
Hello Dragginbait,

If your pup is only four months old, you have plenty of time to introduce her to birds.

Having a firm foundation of obedience training in place is definately important before tackling the field stuff. I would be somewhat surprised if there was not some kind of an obedience class going on somewhere in your area. Clicker training is beneficial in that it allows you to train your dog quickly and efficiently...I personally use an older fashioned method, but my wife uses the clicker method and it works well.

We use pigeons to train our springers before we introduce them to game birds. Though a rather stinky bird, pigeons can be a cheap and readily found training aid (almost any feedlot can be found to house dozens of the birds and more often or not the owners want the pesty things out of there as they are crapping on everything).

I would start out with scented dummies, thrown out on each side of you to help get the pup used to quartering and working close into you...

A couple of books I would advise you to look into would be "Spaniels for Sport" by Talbott Radcliffe...or "Gundog Training" by Keith Erlandson.

If I can offer one piece of advice, it would be not to rush your dog too much...I start my pups at around 6 months and spread the process out over almost a year. I don't steady them to the flush or the shot until 2 years of age.

Keep in mind that this is my opinion only...every trainer has his/her own beleifs.

CT.45
09-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Springers are wonderful high energy dogs, when trained properly are tenacious hunters. I had a Springer, Jake, who was such a nutball, I would have to run him behind my truck @ 30kp/h for awhile to tire him out enough that I could do his 10 minute a day retreiver and obediance training. Good luck and remember, firm and even hand, consistent and regular training, every day.

Springer
09-25-2008, 03:11 AM
What worked for me. First get some wings off pigeons or ducks pheasants whatever and use them for playing catch.
Obedience training is the best investment i ever did,just keep it current through the dogs life.
Like what was mentioned the Book Hup and Gun Dog are awesome for the newbie.evrything is in there you will need.DVD's wont hurt either.
Lastly dont expect to much until at least 2 years old,howver i did hunt mine at 8 months.The only bad thing is if a wounded Rooster might get his licks in and scare the pup.
My 2 cents.

Spellow
10-18-2008, 08:08 AM
Lastly dont expect to much until at least 2 years old,howver i did hunt mine at 8 months.The only bad thing is if a wounded Rooster might get his licks in and scare the pup.
My 2 cents.

I completely agree...and in doing so you risk turning that dog into a hard-mouthed dog on the retrieve..wounded roosters can be quite aggressive.

BlacktailStalker
10-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I would start general obedience now, that can never be started too soon.
Most importantly it teaches them that something is expected of them and to "mind" you, hands on time isnt play time for him.

I'm going through the same thing with 5 month old hound pups, wired to the MAX and when I call/beep them, they already know to plant that ass on the ground and pay attention to ME not the other squirming monster beside him/her. I do this because the majority of the time I need them in range to be handled is to put on/remove a collar (usually more than one!)

I'd make him think of a wing as fun and introduce him to it now, you'd be surprised how soon hide and seek can start transforming his mind into a birding machine.
Always take it away and leave them wanting more.

I grew up with a springer, would love to see a pic.

naes
12-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Hello I Just go a English Springer as well 12 weeks old.

Dragginbait hows it going with your pup? Did you take the obedience classes at North Saanich Dog Obedience Club?

I live in the Victoria Area and would appreciate knowing what is working for you since you pup is a little older.

Cheers