PDA

View Full Version : Non-resident bird hunting

TOP_PREDATOR
06-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Hello,I'm going to be in B.C in October do i need a guide to hunt and shoot game birds?What about fishing? Cheers James

mainland hunter
06-26-2005, 04:59 PM
page 9 of my regulations says"it is not necessary for a non-resident of bc to be accompanied by a licensed guide when hunting small game(includes game birds)."not sure if that refers to non residents living in Canada or all non residents.

Foxer
06-26-2005, 07:40 PM
a non-resident is a canadian citizen. A non-resident alien is a non-canadian citizen.

The guide is not clear if non-resident aliens need a guide or resident with them to hunt small game.

A note - if you are visiting relatives up here they can apply for an accompanied hunt - meaning they essentially are your guides.

I'll call tomorrow and see what the ministry says.

However - even if it's legal i would MOST STRONGLY recommend that you go out with someone who knows bc and it's hunting laws - Our woods can be dangerous to those who have not been in them. And it's not hard to break a gun law up here.

Fishing is a no-brainer - you just buy a non-resident license and fish away to your heart's content.

Fred
06-27-2005, 08:16 AM
TP, when you are hunting in the wilds of BC you are NOT the top preditor! In fact in a bad situation your bird gun might not even save you. You would be much safer in the company of a friend who knows the bush here. Think of hunting your own worst mountains but with worse bush and some very nasty preditors. Other than that, I hope you have a high old time! :grin: Fred

Foxer
06-27-2005, 10:05 AM
well it's like using a gun - its safe enough, IF you know the rules to follow. But if you've never been in our woods it can be tough to know the rules.

Foxer
06-27-2005, 10:27 AM
OK - here's the scoop.

I spoke to Ruth at the gov'ts agents office in Maple Ridge. She says that a NON-Canadian non resident CAN INDEED buy a non-resident license for small game, which of course includes upland birds, rabbits, that sort of thing. Same as if they were a non-resident canadian. They will NOT have to provide any proof that they have completed a saftey course, Nor will they need a guide.

However - they will need to have their firearms license stuff sorted out - which of course is federal, not provincial. You can use a firearm in canada without a license under the direct supervision of a licensed gun user, but if you wish to hunt alone (which i STRONGLY advise you not to) then you will need to contact the Canadian Firearms Centre and get a temporary license to posess.

You will be subject to all of our hunting laws of course - which can be found on the gov't website here: http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/synopsis.htm . Please read them carefully. If you are unsure what region the place you're visiting is in, let us know and we'll tell you. Bag limits and seasons are different for each reigion. However, it's a safe bet grouse will be open wherever you are (check bag limits).

The canadian firearms center, which licenses firearms, can be reached thru this website : http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/default_e.asp

TOP_PREDATOR
06-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys,i will be hunting with a mate who lives in B.C.I have heard about bear attacks that have happened lately not good,the animals we have here in New Zealand dont bite back.

Foxer
06-27-2005, 05:28 PM
Well i'm glad you'll be with someone - bears can be an issue, but so can just plain old getting lost (remarkably easy to do here) and you can get into real trouble real fast. There's also weather considerations (a warm day can become a freezing rain/snow night real quick) and the like. Its safe enough - if you're used to it and know what you're doing :) (keep a slug or two in with your birdshot, just in case. Don't mix 'em up - slugs are pretty hard on the grouse :) )

Crimson Viking
06-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Don't forget , if you are going to be hunting Waterfowl , you'll need a migratory game bird licence (federal licence).You buy them at a post office.

As for fishing if you are going after salmon ( freshwater) you'll need a salmon tag. Also you might need a steelhead tag depending on where and when you are fishing even if you are not targeting steelhead, aaaaand mabey even a classified waters tag for some specific rivers.

Hope you have a good trip reguardless of all the hoops you have to jump through.

lip_ripper00
03-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Sorry to drag up this oldie but, Where does one get a non-resident hunting licence in the Surrey area?

Ian F.
04-01-2012, 08:38 AM
Lil_ripper00 & Top Predator, YOU CAN ONLY get non-res licenses at a Service BC outlet! they are open Monday to Friday bankers hours! I think the only outlet in the lower mainland is Maple Ridge, not bad for me but keep this in mind! Also, if you are hunting in the Lower Mainland you need a Fraser valley licence, so to me the easiest way for a Kiwi is to become a member of the BCWF BEFORE you get here! This is to meet the insurance requirement for the license. Migratory Bird you can get at some stores now (Wholesale) and postal outlets that are in drug stores usually and hold non-banker hours!

Enjoy Canada! I've watched few shows on gunning NZ and it's on my list for sure!

Ian

Duckman
04-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Sorry to drag up this oldie but, Where does one get a non-resident hunting licence in the Surrey area?

Here is the list of Service BC outlets lip ripper. For those in the Lower Mainland, in addition to Maple Ridge, there is also one in Chilliwack.
http://www.servicebc.gov.bc.ca/locations/