PDA

View Full Version : Our Turkey hunt

Buck
05-05-2008, 06:33 PM
This year my 9 year old son an i went to Rock creek to try our luck Hunting Turkey.The previous year we went to Grandforks and Christina lake.Unfortunately we saw one turkey in Christina on posted land.This year we drove around Rock creek looking for birds and after many miles stopping and callin here and there we found a spot that i thought looked pretty good.We pulled over and were having a break when all of a sudden i heard a gobble i went to the truck and grabbed my slate call and started calling a tom responded immediatly.Now i'm getting pumped we put on our full camo grabbed the Dummy bird we had and started to move closer to where i thought i heard the Tom.As we got closer i started thinking about setting up all the while still calling.The tom stopped for awhile so we headed back towards the truck soon as i got to the truck he starts up again.He is about 300 yds across a Canyon going nuts responding to the call.I decide to drive around to the other side and walk back down the road this time he gobbles from where we had just come from i look acrosss the canyon where we had just been and i see something big flying through the trees so i call again and then from across the Canyon i see a Turkey flying straight at us i tell my son to get down we back up against a bush Gun up and that bird lands hard at twenty feet right in front of us .He gathers himself after he lands and walks broadside to us as soon as he clears a pine tree i'm gonna shoot pull the trigger nothing damn safety is on .Hit the safety and boom pure headshot he flops down the steep hill but i know he is dead.I am totally pumped jumping around just couldn't believe we got one.This was my sons second hunt and our first kill together i was a little concerned but he was fine and proud of what we had accomplished.http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii159/Ramcam-Photos/DylanTurkey2.jpghttp://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii159/Ramcam-Photos/DansTurkey3.jpg......On a side note when i arrived home and was unpacking i noticed my 25 horse Yamaha outboard was missing from my boat.If you hear of any one all of a sudden getting a 1995 shortshaft 2 stroke Yammy please pm me serial no 6L2-110509

Dirty
05-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Great father/son experience. Congrats!

riflebuilder
05-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Congradulations on the turkey and it is great that your son was there to see you harvest a great eating bird.

mark
05-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Very nice tom there! Congrads! Pretty exciting isnt it!

asurebet
05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Great job Dan, sorry i had to work and missed the trip, congrats on the first one with Dylan. Looks like Kayla retrieved the bird?

huntwriter
05-05-2008, 09:03 PM
You told me the story over the phone but now I see the pictures too. I have to say that is one very good looking and mature tom you got there. Your son and you have every reason to be proud.

What a way for a father and son to spend some time together.

ohno
05-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Great looking Tom you got there.
That will be memories of a life time.

mark4
05-06-2008, 02:11 PM
Good for you guy's- That's what it's all about.