PDA

View Full Version : Bows and Birds

LOC
06-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Curious as to what tips (field, blunt, judo or...?) everyone uses on birds.

What about arrows? Does anyone use Flu-Flu's?

Has anyone hunted ducks with there bow? It's listed as a legal method, do you shoot them from the air (seems a bit tricky to me) or take them off the water?

I've never had much sucsess with my bow, but I use blunts when I try for chicken.

oldtimer
06-22-2005, 05:57 PM
LOC I have never gone after birds but up here blunts seem to be popular.
I have seen lots of videos of bird hunters using flu flu's ( spelling ? ) even after doves. Myself I think if I was going after ducks I would use blunts and a good dog. MIKE

Thunderstix
06-22-2005, 07:51 PM
I think Judo Points may be in order for any bird but I don't think grouse penetration would be too pretty.

greybark
06-22-2005, 09:16 PM
:-D i have used "Judos" on Ruffed grouse quite successfully . Inspite of a good hit they often explode into flight for 15 to 20 yards which results in a search for the bird.

:wink: When setting up for a shot on a Grouse try to work your way above them. This way you will pin them to the moss , no more searches and the risk of losing the bird is gone.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

moosecaller
06-23-2005, 08:47 AM
I have hunted ducks and geese with a bow in Penticton all my shots were on the ground and I was fairly successful. I got permission from the golf course owners to hunt them and they were more than happy to let me do it as this kept the birds(poop) off their maintained greens. Just make sure to tell the local police when you are going out otherwise the local citizens will call you in as some rambo wannabe stalking about. Also you have to use broadheads on migratory birds, I used cheap wood shafts and the cheap glue on three blade broadheads.

Bow Walker
06-23-2005, 04:38 PM
My preferred method is to use field tips with adder points put on behind the field tips. You can get them to add up to your regular head by using a lighter field tip to compensate for the weight of the adder point.

They fly great and do a mean job when they hit.

Good luck.

moosecaller
06-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Just remember that for migratory birds you have to use broadheads as per the regulations. Upland birds you can use blunts, judo, any type of snarehead.

Dirty
06-24-2005, 11:11 AM
The best tips for hunting birds by far are the Zwickey Kondor field points. These points are made by the same company that manufactures the Judo Points except they are much larger and have less tendency to become lost. You can purchase the Kondor at Hub Sports for those of you in the Lower Mainland. In my opinion they are the most superior bird/small game (rabbits etc) points.