PDA

View Full Version : Firearm registration details

evonkrogh
05-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Can someone clear up a few questions regarding firearm registration for me:

Are you required to carry and provide proof of registration when in possession of a firearm (hunting/driving/at home)?
What is the procedure when you borrow a friend or family member's gun?
What if the firearm is registered to an address other than where you keep it? (I prefer to have 'official' mail sent to my parents home, as I move occasionally)

Thanks for your help!

Gateholio
05-01-2008, 10:33 PM
]
Can someone clear up a few questions regarding firearm registration for me:

Are you required to carry and provide proof of registration when in possession of a firearm (hunting/driving/at home)?

Not required to carry it, but are required to prove it's registered upon demand, which happens rarely. Easiest for most people is to carry them.

What is the procedure when you borrow a friend or family member's gun?

The person borrowing the firearm must be licenced to possess that class of firearm, and the reg cert must accompany firearm.

What if the firearm is registered to an address other than where you keep it? (I prefer to have 'official' mail sent to my parents home, as I move occasionally)

A non restricted firearm can be stored anywhere, as long as stored in accordance with so called "safe" storage laws.

BigBanger
05-01-2008, 11:24 PM
yup , what he said..

coldbuc69
05-02-2008, 12:45 AM
My buddy was telling me about this, and this is the e-mail that he recieved.

As per the Firearms Act, the bearer of a firearm must be in possession of a valid federal firearm license (Possession Only or Possession and Acquisition).

In addition, this individual must be in possession of the registration certificate for the firearm he/she is using. The registration certificate for the firearm must accompany the firearm if it is being used or borrowed. Please note that the registration certificate can be laminated.

Sincerely,
Brenda
RCMP Firearms Centre
CPS Communications
I talk to the CO officer in fort nelson and he had not heard about it, but was not surprised if it happens

Edward Teach
05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
I was told that a photocopy of the reg would be sufficient.
So make a photocopy and stick it in your range bag and keep the original in a safe place at home.

Steeleco
05-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I was told that a photocopy of the reg would be sufficient.
So make a photocopy and stick it in your range bag and keep the original in a safe place at home.

The CFC told me that I was free to copy and laminate the originals. I did just that and have a st just about anywhere I think I'll need one.

Like Gate said, I have never needed to produce one, but why take the chance.