PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Rest Question

Espanola
04-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm currently using a 'qicktune' drop away rest on my Hoyt Trykon which works fine. However I'm thinking on a switch to a positive holding type so as I can leave an arrow nocked onto my bowstring when I go hunting. I am going to try a 'whisker biscuit' but I'm concerned about beating my fletchings apart....there are others(quite a few actually) Can anyone recommend or suggest other types they use or have used?
Thanks

Ron.C
04-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Have a look at the RIPCORD rests. They are drop away rest that you can lock the launcer in the up position. They hold an arrow extremely well and are great for hunting. You can tilt your bow 90 degrees with an arrow nocked and the arrow won't fall off the rest.

Sideofabarn
04-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Also look at APA Innovations. I have a drop away rest that forms a rough C shape around the arrow, so I can hold the bow upside down and the arrow won't come off.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-29-2008, 12:07 PM
If you do go to a whisker biscuit, make sure you're using shorter vanes like 2" Blazer Vanes. I was having problems with regular crappy 4" vanes...switched to 2" blazers and it seems to have solved the problem.

SSS

Wildfoot
04-29-2008, 12:11 PM
i have a top flight phantom drop away. full containment rest. I can hike all day with an arrow nocked and it never falls off the rest.

although, i usually dont hike with a nocked arrow.. theres a good chance i might catch the arrow and break it or stab myself!

Espanola
04-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Also look at APA Innovations. I have a drop away rest that forms a rough C shape around the arrow, so I can hold the bow upside down and the arrow won't come off.
I sent an email to APA...their rest looks interesting. Do you have to shoot smaller vanes through it? Is it quiet?
And their bows look very high end....they put some real thought into the design eh....imagine, actually designing a riser with a balanced carrying handle, a crook to hang it, and places to tighten broadheads and nocks...and all made in Biggar, Sask.!

Bowzone_Mikey
04-29-2008, 04:17 PM
the APA safari Twister is a great rest ...

I personally shoot the whisker Bisquit on my hunting bow ... the best trick found to save your fletchings is put a dab of fletch glue on the leading edge of you vanes, also treat the bisquit whiskers to a light spray of "Armour All" . I did this and through my Hoyt Super tec i didnt lose any speed nor did i sacrifice accuracy ... what I gained was alot of peice of mind.

Bow Walker
04-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I've tried many different rests. I always come back to this one...as BZM says (not in so many words - but still the intent is there - it's almost bullet proof. It's the Safari Twister, as you can see.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Safari_Twister.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4259&ppuser=529)

bsa30-06
04-29-2008, 06:32 PM
I personally shoot the whisker Bisquit on my hunting bow ... the best trick found to save your fletchings is put a dab of fletch glue on the leading edge of you vanes, also treat the bisquit whiskers to a light spray of "Armour All" . I did this and through my Hoyt Super tec i didnt lose any speed nor did i sacrifice accuracy ... what I gained was alot of peice of mind.

Yep what he said.......never had my biscuit tear a fletching yet.

Sideofabarn
04-29-2008, 07:15 PM
Yes, the rest is quiet. No, I haven't had to change to smaller vanes. I wouldn't like to have buck fever though, if I hadn't nocked an arrow already, it can be a little fiddly. I like their bows, I have one of their older models, and am considering upgrading. Their customer service is great too, as I have dealt with Sharmaine via email.

Edward Teach
06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Try a Hostage. It's like a biscuit, but the brushes don't actually touch the fletches.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/JonSilks-0001/Field_Evaluation_Diamond_Hostage_Arrow_Rest.shtml

Bigbear
06-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Check Out The Quad Hunter Ultra Rest. Silent. Easy to set up. and Fool Proof. Full containment in a Dropaway. No Fletch contact, you canshoot Helical for Better Broadhead flight if you so wish.

Bowzone_Mikey
06-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Check Out The Quad Hunter Ultra Rest. Silent. Easy to set up. and Fool Proof. Full containment in a Dropaway. No Fletch contact, you canshoot Helical for Better Broadhead flight if you so wish.

An APA Twister Safari does the same thing .. is an awesome rest for sure

jrjonesy
06-24-2008, 11:17 AM
You've got lots of great suggestions here for rests but I think of full containment rests as very valuable when in a tree stand (maybe close quarters) or making a final stalk. I've heard of some pretty bad, even fatal accidents with bowhunters hunting through the bush with an arrow nocked. I've seen a few doing this in slippery snow conditions that makes me shudder. A razor sharp broadhead is nothing to take lightly.

Gilmore
06-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Try a Hostage. It's like a biscuit, but the brushes don't actually touch the fletches.

http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publish/JonSilks-0001/Field_Evaluation_Diamond_Hostage_Arrow_Rest.shtml

I have this rest on my bow. Works really well and my 2" Blazers never touch it.

hoyt
08-27-2008, 08:14 AM
I would stick with what you have, yes the arrow falls off but a drop away is the best way to go. I use the same bow, with a drop away, when i walk through the bush i just put a finger over the arrow. I is not the best but the accuracy you get from a drop away is well worth the small pain in the ass they can be. The others will not hurt your fletching, you will lose some fps but not too dramatic.
If you want too you can do what i have done in the past, i put one of those elastic bands you would use for braces from one side of my drop away tangs to the other arrow tang and should i see something to shoot, you just tough one side of your arrow and roll your finger forward, presto the elastic is gone and you can pull back and shoot in a mili second. I have even forgot to remove the elastic on a few shots, did not hurt accuracy and did not seem to hurt speed as well. It just raised up with the shot and left with the arrow. Every household store seems to sell these too, very easy to find.

How do you like your bow? I have had mine for only a couple of months, i love it. I still take my old faithful into the hills too, Turotech, another screamer.

Hoyt

Franko Manini
09-03-2008, 04:26 PM
I've tried many different rests. I always come back to this one...as BZM says (not in so many words - but still the intent is there - it's almost bullet proof. It's the Safari Twister, as you can see.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Safari_Twister.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4259&ppuser=529)
Hey, I've got this rest too! Of course it's in my toolbox, not on my bow. Need to get in touch with my buddy to help install it...

Bow Walker
09-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Hmmm, be eye dat bud?