PDA

View Full Version : Cacklers on Dinsdale Farm

Marc
04-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Saw this flock land over on the farm this afternoon while out walking the dogs. Thought they may have been speckle bellies by the sound they were making but just noticed that one of the area bird watchers reported seeing 60 cacklers about 4 days ago in the same area so I'm going to have to go with that as I didn't get a close look at them. First time I've seen any on the island and in such a large number to boot.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/cacklers.JPG

Crazy_Farmer
04-27-2008, 08:42 PM
Nice picture, they tend to stay in larger flocks normally, here we generally see the odd pair or small group but for the most part during the season we'll see a couple flocks of 15-30 and then 2 main flocks of 100-150 each. They are notorious up and down the flyway for being alot harder to decoy then their bigger cousins. We've had flocks of a couple hundred cackling geese circling over head 4 or 5 times and it'll always be the few slightly larger tavernor geese who will drop into the decoys first. For whatever reason the smaller the goose the more wary it is.

Marc
04-29-2008, 07:19 PM
It was a pretty cool sight to watch and even being out of season they circled a good half dozen times before they decided to set down.

HuntNHookSports
04-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I saw a pair of them feeding today. I took some pictures but it was getting dark. I am going to 'hunt' them tomorrow and get some better pictures.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg179/HuntNHookSports/cacklers043008.jpg

Marc
04-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm not sure they're cacklers anymore they look like speckle bellies. I'll see if I can post a pic of of the flock landing.

Marc
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Here is a close up of the picture I took it's a bit grainy as the geese were over the fields and I was on the Terminal road a good 600-800 yards away if not further.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/specklebellies.JPG

Here is a picture I grabbed off of google

http://www.wunderground.com/data/wximagenew/t/Tsurai/541.jpg

riflebuilder
05-05-2008, 06:29 PM
they look like spec's to me and they sure taste good. The best eating goose there is.

Marc
05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
The only problem is I don't think we have an open season for them in BC

frodo
05-05-2008, 07:03 PM
They are absolutly open to hunting here in the interior !!!

Marc
05-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Hmm just looked at that, region 3 has them. I guess they're waiting for region 1 and 2 to have a bigger population maybe?

shotgunjohn
07-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Definitely speckle bellies Marc. We used to have a season and never saw any. Now we have no season and see quit a few. Go figure.

sako7mm
07-23-2008, 07:22 AM
Hey Marc,

They are placed under the regs with Canada Geese, Cackling Geese and your allowed 5 per day 10 possession!! :biggrin:

You better get permission lined up for the fall, looks like they need a thinning:wink: :D

Crazy_Farmer
07-23-2008, 04:12 PM
They arent in the same boat as canadas or cackling geese in regions 1 or 2.

Qwa-honn
08-07-2008, 04:02 PM
wich is kinda wierd since they a all considered dark geese in alberta, sask. and all count on the same limits.

Crazy_Farmer
08-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Thats true, though they do still have some differences in their regulations, mainly theres a limit on the number of specklebellies you can shoot under your limit. I think albertas 5 of the 8 daily limit and sask is 8 total dark geese only 4 can be white-fronts.

If you look at each regions bag limits and seasons they are all pretty different, regions 1 and 2 are close, snows/ross and canadas/cackling seperate but reg 2 has ross' seperate, regions 3 and 8 snows/ross/whitefronts and then canadas/cackling seperate. Region 6 then goes snows/ross and canadas/cackling/whitefronts seperate and Regions 4,5,7 everythings clumped together. The only thing I can see is dates of the seasons and if they want certain types hunted more in a certain area then instead of shooting say your 5 canadas and a couple specks, only a total of 5 specks and canadas together.

I guess if there is a lot more specks showing up during season it'll be up to the cwf and those sorts to figure if the numbers warrant a season. We saw three snows here last year, two inflight and another on the ground, I sure would like a season please. :lol:

HuntNHookSports
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
They're back!

A friend spotted them while out scouting for Canadas today. The rest of the migrating birds should be coming through soon. I wish I could spend the next 6 months in Baja California.

Marc
10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I saw 5 speckle bellies about a week ago heading for the fields.

mad_mallard
10-06-2008, 09:45 PM
I saw a handfull of specklebellies mixed with canadas by tansor school today.most years there seems to be the odd bunch hanging out around the valley,and to the best of my knowledge we dont have a season for them on the island.

trapperdan2061
10-06-2008, 10:11 PM
how do you get permision for Dinsdale last time I hunted there my dad was alive it's been 9 years.