PDA

View Full Version : Keep trying for turkey's

mark4
04-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Notice to all you turkey hunters out there- the time to be hunting turkey's is right now !! Yesterday morning I heard gobblers in three different locations while I was sitting, I blew a golden opportunity on a huge tom, and later still managed to shoot my first turkey. Turkey hunting is new to me but what a blast -I know I am hooked for good. For the last couple weeks the area I have been hunting has been very quiet- but yesterday morning there seemed to be a huge increase in turkey gobbling and it was easy to follow the gobbling right to the source !!! I heard gobbling about 75 yards in front of me as I was slowly walking down a well used game trail. Rather than try to sneak up for a shot- this time I sat down up against a big tree and very quietly hen yelped. I was wondering if it was going to work when all of a sudden I saw two gobblers heads above the brush heading in my direction. I quickly got my gun propped up on the monopod and pointing in the right direction. When the two turkey's came into the open they were 45 yards away and in the same little clearing I was sitting in. I shot the closest turkey with my 17hmr and he dropped in his tracks. He wasn't a real big one but he's definitely big enough for me. This was a very exciting hunt to say the least. I noticed that it was at about 7:30 AM that the woods came alive with gobbling- mabye it is a combination of the warm weather and the raging hormones- I don't know but they sure are making noise right now. I hope this story is encouraging to all fellow turkey hunters and especially to those new to the sport. Keep trying no matter what- Get out there as soon as you can and listen for the gobbling !!

Marmo+
04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
East kootenays? Christina Lake? nice work on the bird! We were early I think :( Wont get another chance myself this season, I'll have to wait for fall opening.

300H&H
04-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Great turkey. Your right. The toms are starting to go nuts. I was in on 4 toms and some hens until 2 guys drove down the road doing the worst goose honking Ive ever heard. After that the birds just stopped calling. They did start again 1 hour later and farther up the vally. I'll be out this coming weekend. Without giving to much u where did you get the tom ? I meen other than in the head !

Marmo+
04-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Oh and....were you using game points or vmax ammo?

mark
04-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Congrads! Its so much fun, I might take a day off shed hunting next weekend and call one in for the girlfriend! They were gobbling hard in opening week too!

Marmo+
04-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Congrads! Its so much fun, I might take a day off shed hunting next weekend and call one in for the girlfriend! They were gobbling hard in opening week too!

not where we were :(

happygilmore
04-28-2008, 05:55 AM
Darned cold weather! it's so much more fun when there talking, I'd drive back down there if there wasn't a 1turkey bag limit:cry:

huntwriter
04-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Congratulations on your first turkey. You’re right, as the weather warms up toms start to get the “fever”. They will shut up if it gets colder again. There is a reason why all the veteran tom busters agree that the best turkey hunting days are warm and sunny.;)

Setting up on a tom as you did and talk softly is ALWAYS the best tactic to success. Especially for a novice hunter not that familiar with all the calling tactics. Well done!!

Now that you're hooked on it be aware it will never let you go again. I "suffer" from wild turkey fever for the past 15 years.:smile:

mark4
04-28-2008, 07:51 AM
I used the v-max 17 gr., I was wondering how good the performance would be but it was very good. I am in the east kootenay's- I only ran into one hunter on foot the whole time since the opener- so the area isn't overpressured. Yes they are making a lot of noise on those warm sunny mornings- If you can get to a good likely spot, prefferebly in a place you have seen turkey's in the past, nice and early - you should hear gobbling right now- I would just follow the gobbling and when you are close ( 100 yards or so ) sit down and quietly hen call, but be ready for a quick shot !!! The fever is contagious isn't it huntwriter ?? LOL

huntwriter
04-28-2008, 09:21 AM
The fever is contagious isn't it huntwriter ?? LOL

Very much so, and if it gets you really hard that you reach the stage of addiction it brings benefits too. Lol
My turkey hunting addiction resulted in Pro-Staff status with Heirloom Turkey Calls, taking part in turkey calling competitions all over North America and talking to other hunters about turkey hunting on my seminars. :lol:

mark4
04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
That is awesome huntwriter- You are benefiting from turkey hunting in several ways- I can see why you love it- I am really impressed with it !! I never knew how fun it would actually be- It is challenging too- part of the reason why it it so nice to finally get one. I am open to any advice you have !!! The country is beautiful and nice to walk- especially in the morning- hearing gobbling just adds to the beauty LOL. I'm trying to get others hooked too- namely friends and family- I know if they tried it - they would probably love it- even though there are days when you don't see a thing. Hiking out in the fresh air never hurt anybody.

huntwriter
04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
Yes I have been very fortunate in that way, but it has not been an easy road to travel too. It’s an ongoing learning process and dedication to turkey conservation and keeping up with the latest developments in that field. But I would be lying if I say that it is not fun for me and that I do not enjoy it very much.

Part of my dedication to turkey hunting and conservation is to let other hunters benefit from what I have learned over the many years. To that end I intend to give turkey hunting classes as soon we have moved to our new home and are settled in a bit.

Having professionally traveled all over the world for over 30 years I agree with you that British Columbia is hands down one of the most beautiful places on earth I have ever seen. Nowhere I have traveled and lived, including America, are more game species to hunt and more fish to fish than right here in BC.